Santa Cruz Superlight or Blur LT

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Has anyone ever ridden or know much about either the Superlight or Blur LT. I currently ride a Trance and love the geometry but eventually would like to get something lighter but still with 4 or 5" of rear travel. I assume the Blur LT would be more sensitive to small bump because of the multi-link. Any thoughts.

I know they aren't 29er's or SS, so save your comments.....:)

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
If you love your Trance and have a relationship with a dealer who sells Giant, the new Trance is apparently 3/4 of a pound to a pound lighter. Even the TranceX is lighter than your Trance. The Superlight is adored and is only 5.5 lbs for the frame (1.5 lbs less than your trance) but the single pivot won't be as efficient a pedaler, if you care. I've ridden a Blur XC (4.5" travel) and liked it -- pretty ideal for a race/trail bike. The LT is new this year and I would think adds almost a pound. Do you race or is this just for trail riding?

The Blur XC was definitely more sensitive than the Trance, which has a plush trail bike feel even though it's just 4" travel.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone ever ridden or know much about either the Superlight or Blur LT. I currently ride a Trance and love the geometry but eventually would like to get something lighter but still with 4 or 5" of rear travel. I assume the Blur LT would be more sensitive to small bump because of the multi-link. Any thoughts.

I know they aren't 29er's or SS, so save your comments.....:)

Look at the 5" travel Trance X -- I have one and I love it. My new Trance X1 is 1.5 pounds lighter than my 2005 Trance.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
it would be for trail riding. I was hoping to pick up something used cause I don't have any cash flow...

the trance x is sweet, but I think the frameset are pricey and since it is new, no used out there...

J-Dro

The re-designed Blur LT is due out this spring sometime. Maybe there are some leftover 07 frames around that are being discounted?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
it would be for trail riding. I was hoping to pick up something used cause I don't have any cash flow...

the trance x is sweet, but I think the frameset are pricey and since it is new, no used out there...

with the new Blur LTs out, there might be a plethora of 2007 and older blur LTs on ebay now. Probably still not too cheap though since SCs keep their value. Maybe a Prophet? Same case about value but with the Rize and Moto out there might be some steals.

Also remember to factor in your components fitting to your new(er) frame. Seatposts will probably be different on a different bike, and the front derailleur will be different as well (though you can with my whole-hearted endorsement eschew the front derailleur entirely). Everything might move over easily to a newer Trance though.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
most opf my stuff should transfer over, I do like the 1 x 9 idea and I rarely use the little ring and I am probably less likely to use it now since I have been riding road alot. I ride a 2 x 9 now...

I really want to lighten the bike up but still be able to take some abuse.

dhsean

For trail riding the Blur is the better choice. I have the 08 Heckler which is for sale :hmmm: and my 06 Blur XC, even though it is XC oriented is still the faster machine on most trails. The VPP feels endless compared to a single pivot with even more travel. I'm kind of sweating the new Blur LT but for now the XC is serving me fine. Coming from a Giant you may feel more comfortable with the Blur. If you want to go big than a beefy single pivot like the Heckler may be better but the Superlight is more of an XC race bike.

mtnbiker5

Superlight/Blur

I have a Blur and loved it until I had to replace all the pivots due to normal wear and tear. Hated it since. I now ride a Moots F/S but thats another issue in itself. I've ridden the Superlite, no comparison. Its a good ride but between the two I'd go with the new Blur again. Articles are coming out now, it appears they've addressed the issues with the pivots and bottom bracket clearance. Seems like an all around better ride. Trust me, the pivots were a nightmare especially after I got them replaced. Bike was never the same after that. Bottom line is this, for the amount of money your gonna spend on a Blur or a Superlite, I'd seriously consider buying into more of a "micro brew" brand like Moots, (if you can afford Titanium) or even Ventana. For the price of a new Blur you can get an incredible Vantana frame and build it up yourself. Where do live and I can direct you to a great shop(s) as well for help. Definately the way to go if you can swing it. Telling you, depending on how passionate you are about riding and your ride, these mass produced bikes are going to go by the wayside very soon. Some really sick stuff out there and you wont be in debt forever because of it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Is the Blur XC for race or more of a trail bike, Santa Cruz markets this as and xc race bike? I live in lawrenceville (central region of the state). I would like a small comaony frame but can't afford the price tag, not that I don't think it is worth it, but just too much.

What was the problem with the bearings? removing them or the raplacement ones weren;t good quality?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
most opf my stuff should transfer over, I do like the 1 x 9 idea and I rarely use the little ring and I am probably less likely to use it now since I have been riding road alot. I ride a 2 x 9 now...

I really want to lighten the bike up but still be able to take some abuse.

The thing to keep in mind is that weight is weight but wheel weight is something above and beyond. Drop $4-500 on a custom tubeless wheelset and you'll not just drop 1.5 lbs from the bike but from your rotational weight -- as in you'll feel it much more than you would with a lighter frame, handlebar, etc. If your Trance is in good shape and you still like it, that might be a better place to drop bucks.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have crossmax enduros and they are heavier than the regualr crossmax sl but still ok

mtnbiker5

Blur Bearings

I have no idea. When I replaced all the bearing the bike just creaked and cracked like nobody's business. I asked the shop who replaced them (somewhere in Northern NJ-no names) and they said, "yeah, thats the problem with the Santa Cruz Blur, once you replace the pivots the bike is never the same." I believe its coming out in the new Bike or Mountain Bike Magazine, writeup on the new Blurs. They specifically discuss the problems the "old" Blurs have with replacing pivots and they claim to have addressed this with the new. They also talked about how they will get into how they increased ground clearance which has always been a problem.

I would call the Blur a "Do Everything" bike. I've raced in 24 hr races as Solo on it, beat her up pretty bad and she's been a great ride. I cant complain too much. She'll handle anything you throw at her. She's not a f/s ti Moots but she's decent. I just look back on all the upkeep I've put into my Blur and the modifications I made over the years and for the same or close to same dollar amount I could of just invested in a really really good micro brew brand. I'm very curious to test ride the new Blurs but good luck finding a dealer.

mtnbiker5

One last thing

One last tip. Dont be intimidated by price. The markups on components (and frames) is almost unheard of. I pretty much paid dealer cost for my ride now but when comparing to what I would of paid if I just walked into a lbs to buy all the new XTR components its insane the markup. If you do some homework you can get stuff pretty reasonable online and also avoid a lot of sales tax which adds up (thanks Corzine). If you can find a really good frame the components you can build off of from many different online sites.

M

mtbjeff

I have an original Blur and a Titus Racer X. The X is an amazing efficiant racing machine but for all around letting it all hang out I still love the Blur. I recently put a 5" fox fork on and a Fox DHX Air shock out back. They took a great ride and made it even better. That said I am Still looking at Campmor for a possible Titus Moto Light or El Guapo. My son will get the Blur.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have an original Blur and a Titus Racer X. The X is an amazing efficiant racing machine but for all around letting it all hang out I still love the Blur. I recently put a 5" fox fork on and a Fox DHX Air shock out back. They took a great ride and made it even better. That said I am Still looking at Campmor for a possible Titus Moto Light or El Guapo. My son will get the Blur.

you have the blur, not the blur lt?

M

mtbjeff

Thats right, mine is a first generation Blur, originally with 4" front and 4.5" travel in the back. I put the 5" fork on and the back remains 4.5". Thats as long a travel as mine will ever see.I have had the pivots rebuilt every year, this year with the latest sealed bearings that Santacruz now uses [Jeff at campmor does all my work]. I ocasionally get to ride other newer F/S bikes, I still love my blur,despite pivot issues and have put many hard ruthless miles on it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thats right, mine is a first generation Blur, originally with 4" front and 4.5" travel in the back. I put the 5" fork on and the back remains 4.5". Thats as long a travel as mine will ever see.I have had the pivots rebuilt every year, this year with the latest sealed bearings that Santacruz now uses [Jeff at campmor does all my work]. I ocasionally get to ride other newer F/S bikes, I still love my blur,despite pivot issues and have put many hard ruthless miles on it.

good food for thought...

Top Bottom