Santa Cruz 5010

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
How come no one really mentions the life time warranty on the frame? Did I miss it or is it fake news?
The life time warranty was one factor that sealed the deal for me to go with SC

Capture.JPG

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And no joke about the bearings. You just fill out the form online and they show up in a few days.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
This was surprisingly good. Oh, that didn’t come out right. It was good in that it was honest and to the point. It gave you what you needed w/out an overt “sponsored” flavor or fluff.

You know what would have made it even better? If it was a podcast!!!!! Hint. ;)

thegock

I looked at the SC link, but didn't see specifics about tires/rims.

What combo was on the bike you rented in South Mountain? @Norm

I like this size/suspension range a lot. My favorite bike, Spec Stumpjumper ST 27.5, is setup with 2.8" Rekon Plus on crabon. It is a Strava wrecking combo.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I looked at the SC link, but didn't see specifics about tires/rims.

Scroll down on the product page:
  • WTB ST i35 TCS 2.0 27.5" Rims
  • (front) Maxxis Minion DHF, 27.5"x2.6", DC EXO TR
  • (rear) Maxxis Rekon, 27.5"x2.6", DC EXO TR

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I was deciding betwen the Tallboy and the 5010, I couldn't find a demo on the 5010 so went with the Tallboy. I routinely wonder how grass that greener is on the other side.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
When I was deciding betwen the Tallboy and the 5010, I couldn't find a demo on the 5010 so went with the Tallboy. I routinely wonder how grass that greener is on the other side.

The Tallboy is an XC bike, the 5010 is a Trail Bike.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As you know, I have the 5010 and love it. Rode one in the parking lot for 5 min and knew it was the bike for me. It is pretty much the perfect bike for me. One thing that is nice about SC's design is that it is super easy to pull apart and lube.

While it is not a DH rig, it is capable o bigger stuff than most people will be doing. This is from Dirt Rag's review...
5010-1-of-1-1-630x427.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As you know, I have the 5010 and love it.

Being honest, I didn't know that. I tend to instantly forget who has what bike. And I agree, while not a full-on DH bike, I feel like it can handle anything that most of us could throw at it. Maybe your hardcore DH guys wouldn't like it. But I am sure it's more than enough for me.

When new bike time rolls around, which will be reasonably soon, I'll surely be giving SC a good hard look.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Tallboy is an XC bike, the 5010 is a Trail Bike.
I'm fully aware of that. But this is a do-it-all bike for me so it's either going to be a compromise no matter what. My only complaint with the Tallboy is shoving 29" wheels in my checked luggage is a PITA..

And yes, as XC as the Tallboy is, it's not an XC race bike like the Blur.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm fully aware of that. But this is a do-it-all bike for me so it's either going to be a compromise no matter what. My only complaint with the Tallboy is shoving 29" wheels in my checked luggage is a PITA..

And yes, as XC as the Tallboy is, it's not an XC race bike like the Blur.
I think most of SC's bike blur the lines. Tallboy is a full on XC bike? Not quite. I agree with you BTW. Per santa cruz:

The Tallboy cuts a whole new swath across the trail bike landscape.
The Tallboy muddles the line between XC and trail with 110mm of rear wheel travel, paired with a 120mm fork, and fast-rolling 29er wheels.
“Trail country” in pedigree, the Tallboy climbs almost as well as an XC bike, but shows its true colors when the trail turns downward.

On paper, 110mm of travel might seem like it’ll get overwhelmed on technical trails, but nobody rides on paper. Its short-travel chassis gives it scalpel-like handling with a genuine all-around trail capability.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Being honest, I didn't know that. I tend to instantly forget who has what bike. And I agree, while not a full-on DH bike, I feel like it can handle anything that most of us could throw at it. Maybe your hardcore DH guys wouldn't like it. But I am sure it's more than enough for me.

When new bike time rolls around, which will be reasonably soon, I'll surely be giving SC a good hard look.
Yeah, December of 2017, picked up a leftover from J, ridden it 300? hours since. It really changed the way I ride. I was also coming off a hardtail after 8 years of no FS bike, so there is that too. I also put a 140 fork on it, which makes going down even better.

I think you would be equally as happy on a Tallboy or Hightower.

Dajerseyrat

I actually have Jays Old Hightower, and have to agree that the only negative thing on that bike is the pedal strikes on the technical rock climbs if you're not timing your pedal strokes properly. The Hightower is more than enough bike for me on all of the trails I have ridden, it climbs like a mountain goat and handles the chunky stuff like a champ. The larger footprint tires 3"0 front and 2.8" rear offer awesome grip and some extra trail dampening. I just switched over to the Maxxis DHFII and DHR in 2.8" all around and will see how that handles when I can get back out on the bike. But I LOVE my Santa cruz. I do wish sometimes that I had the LT, but a selling point that would stop me from buying it would be them not offering 27+ on it in stock form. I can fit 29" wheels on my bike now if I choose to do so, but I find the 27+ are more forgiving and let you make more relaxed line choices. I can also keep up with any 29er out there with guys 50lb lighter than me.

I also demod the Bronson, and will give it an A+ on descending the chunk, it leaves a little to be desired on the climbs and feels like your lugging a really big bike around uphill. The HT was way more nimble uphills and gives the Bronson a solid run on the downhills.

I never thought I would be a Santa Cruz AND carbon fiber fan boy,in fact I held out and fought Jay tooth and nail over going carbon, but here I am.... PS I actually was gonna buy the 5010 but then Jays old bike came up on the auction block.

Last edited:
Top Bottom