Sanitization

Kaleidopete

On another note, looks like someone added a small challenge to Wee Bear trail near the end, just past the sharp turn.
Maybe trail sabotage though, who knows
Dsc00320.jpg

trekfan

On another note, looks like someone added a small challenge to Wee Bear trail near the end, just past the sharp turn.
Maybe trail sabotage though, who knows
View attachment 214690
not to make light of it, but a while back i was riding hemlock pretty regularly and one evening came across a large rock that someone had deliberately placed in the middle of the trail (i thought). it was pretty large and took a lot of effort to move it off of the trail. i was pretty annoyed and even called the park office to complain about possible trail sabotage. a few weeks later i was again on hemlock in a different section and came pretty much face to face with the culprit. it was a juvenile bear that was flipping rocks for bugs/grubs/whatever and they were rolling directly onto the trail. he got scared and ran off but i was laughing so hard i had tears in my eyes.

Last edited:

one piece crank

The neutering of trails is ridiculous. At some point the opposite will happen - trees will be dropped and obstacles put back in place. What then? Rinse-repeat until there are no trees?!

mtn

If someone takes a jackhammer to PJ to knock the tops off the rocks on the flow trails, I will not complain.

Ashcor

not to make light of it, but a while back i was riding hemlock pretty regularly and one evening came across a large rock that someone had deliberately placed in the middle of the trail (i thought). it was pretty large and took a lot of effort to move it off of the trail. i was pretty annoyed and even called the park office to complain about possible trail sabotage. a few weeks later i was again on hemlock in a different section and came pretty much face to face with the culprit. it was a juvenile bear that was flipping rocks for bugs/grubs/whatever and they were rolling directly onto the trail. he got scared and ran off but i was laughing so hard i had tears in my eyes.
Probably a member of the Sierra Club

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I alot some extra time on every ride now to controlling the human cattle. This irresistible shortcut was on the newly renamed lake loop trail. It will always be sitting bear as far as I'm concerned. Now get the hell off my lawn!View attachment 215435
Not to burst your bubble, but your trail blocking solution is worse than the actual trail cutting. Putting sticks and logs lengthwise on the lower side of the trail is a trail building no,no and looks like shit. Those trails are designed to allow water to shed off. I know you are trying to help, but you would do more help if you used one large rock or redid the bench cut. Please no sticks!!!

serviceguy

Not to burst your bubble, but your trail blocking solution is worse than the actual trail cutting. Putting sticks and logs lengthwise on the lower side of the trail is a trail building no,no and looks like shit. Those trails are designed to allow water to shed off. I know you are trying to help, but you would do more help if you used one large rock or redid the bench cut. Please no sticks!!!
Stickman lives!

Stickman.png

trekfan

unpopular opinion (?): small downed trees are fine. the larger ones though, the ones that hit the chainrings, should be removed. if not, people will just carve a new section around said obstacle. i've seen it countless times. it's one thing to preach skills blah blah but for a lot of riders they will just take the path of least resistance, right or wrong. for the sake of the trail system it's better to remove the obstacles. i counted no fewer than 6 obstacle carve outs on yesterdays ride

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
unpopular opinion (?): small downed trees are fine. the larger ones though, the ones that hit the chainrings, should be removed. if not, people will just carve a new section around said obstacle. i've seen it countless times. it's one thing to preach skills blah blah but for a lot of riders they will just take the path of least resistance, right or wrong. for the sake of the trail system it's better to remove the obstacles. i counted no fewer than 6 obstacle carve outs on yesterdays ride

I'm not a fan of leaving log-overs on the primary trail. Trails are multi-use, and we may be making it too difficult for "someone" (don't overthink this)

I am a fan of alternate lines that raise the difficulty level significantly.
Sourlands has many - going with someone who knows them changes the experience.

Last edited:

chris12453

The rebuild of the log hop on rattlesnake is a perfect example of more difficult when you could take the simple go around. I still say just hop the trees.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions