Sanitization

Skunkape

It continues. They want pickle to be a beginner trail. Pull out the big rocks and backfill with small ones. New trail users, I assume (hope), thinking they are helping out by “fixing” that nasty old rocky section.
If you know who these actors are, explain to them we like the trails hard. That they shouldn’t expect to clean everything with their first bike they bought in April and that older and fatter guys are cleaning them on less bike.
If there’s a tech section you love, or hate but were hoping to master one day, get out and ride it now before it disappears. The trail fairies are here and they want their participation awards.

This happens constantly, everywhere. Trail entropy. F’in noobs ruin it for everyone. Education is key. When I was getting into trail riding the guys I rode with were hardcore, bigger is better, steeper is better, gnargnargnar. It was a proper intro and set reasonable expectations immediately. Pass that mindset onto the noobs today, or it’s gone forever.

Rode Pickle yesterday morning, and didnt notice a huge difference, but have noticed an attempt to block off the alternate line on Rattlesnake that goes over the 3 smaller rock rolls, and then up that bit of a ledge. Been riding back there since I moved up here many years ago, and agree that the trails should stay their more natural state. There are slightly more mellow options available in the park for those who prefer "easier" terrain, and other parks that are less gnarly that aren't all that farther to drive to.

This happens constantly, everywhere. Trail entropy. F’in noobs ruin it for everyone. Education is key. When I was getting into trail riding the guys I rode with were hardcore, bigger is better, steeper is better, gnargnargnar. It was a proper intro and set reasonable expectations immediately. Pass that mindset onto the noobs today, or it’s gone forever.

Yeah, HELLO 🐈 has hardly any rox now...

Reactions: w_b
I noticed that section on pickle today. I had not been there since last year and went to line up my entrance rock I usually go over, and there were no rocks. It still looks natural, but as a regular waway rider, it is noticeable. I agree that there are bigger issues than sanitation. FWIW, from a trail builders point of view, sanitation is a result of shortage of easier inventory, or poor trail planning. That being said I sometimes miss those types of sections too.

Figured I was preaching to the choir here, but still needed vent. The absurdity of flattening a trail to achieve strava gold is probably lost on whoever is doing it. Agree with the above poster about the nocturnal 4 wheeler damage, IMO the fire road segments are the most dangerous part of any ride out here.

Here is the parks trailmaker o_O
Trailmaker.jpg

Pickle is not the trail it once was. I know some unsanctioned trails in Wayway since it is my backyard anyway, that are 100 times better, but I'll leave that there. I remember when Pickle was quite a bit more technical. Now, not so much. I ride it many times during the week and all the setups I used to need to do, no longer exist. Kind of sad actually. This is why I ride Stokes and High Point a lot more now. No flow trails being built back there, no pointless reroutes, no Sterling 4000 lines, straight tech. If you can't ride it, go home, simple as that.

Seems ironic given the sport is so much easier with today’s bikes ...
Funny how when I started riding we had fully rigid 26ers with vbrakes and no dropper. Straight into the rock garden and if your front wheel gets wedged and you get pitched- you’d dust yerself off and do it again. We also rode at night without lights.

No pain no gain.

Facetious is one of only a few words in the English language which has all of the vowels in order.
FWIW, posting here barely does anything. You need to catch the people doing it and directly address the issue. “Educate” then with whatever words the situation requires. You also need to undo what they did, if possible.

At core we had a guy that was doing bad Drainage and also sanitizing log overs. I used strava to narrow down who it was and eventually figured It out and addressed it.

Last edited:
FWIW, posting here barely does anything. You need to catch the people doing it and directly address the issue. “Educate” then with whatever words the situation requires. You also need to undo what they did, if possible.

At core we had a guy that was doing bad Drainage and also sanitizing log overs. I used strava to narrow down who it was and eventually figured It out and addressed it.

Perhaps that is why i was being facetious?

I take the rocks from ringwood and plant them at 6MR so they can grow.

Here's one.

1599498027027.png

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions