Salsa Mukluk Rear Hub / Freehub...are these teeth shot?

pygmypony

hey all...this is from my buddy's 2013 (ish) Mukluk...his rear freewheel is not engaging/not "freewheeling"...

he had someone else put in a new freehub body recently, but i think the issue is not with the freehub, but with the actual teeth within the hub shell itself...i think they may be shot...

what does everyone think? hub shell teeth, freehub, something else?

you can see in these pics where the yellow arrow is pointing, the hub shell's teeth look to be in pretty bad shape...
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.15.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.15.11 PM.png

here's the new freehub body...looks ok to me...
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.14.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.14.36 PM.png

That's one of those White and Green Muks? 170QR hasn't been made in quite a while so it'll take some digging. You can get a Hope or DT hub and relace the wheel if needed.

the ratchet ring is trashed, and it has taken out the pawls of the new freehub.
I have some pawls. You'll need to source the ratchet ring from salsa.

or try Chris Wray at qbp - cwray@qbp.com

also, check with @Mr.Moto - he has a hub with the bits.

That's one of those White and Green Muks? 170QR hasn't been made in quite a while so it'll take some digging. You can get a Hope or DT hub and relace the wheel if needed.
yep...white and green with pretty tree pics! i may send my buddy Chuck over to HB in summit for your expert counsel on wheel construction!

when my hub broke....

yep, this looks and sounds like the same thing my bud is dealing with...going to send him to summit with some swedish fish...

@jimvreeland BOLO for a big dude with a 2013 salsa mukluk in need of a new rear hub!

Reactions: CJS
Does it use a tool like the DT hubs? I've never rebuilt one of these Salsa hubs because they cost like $3

i dunno - the internet says there are some alignment splines, but is it press fit? or glued in so tight the hub shell will split before letting go.
guess it doesn't matter if it breaks, as it is already broken!

apparently the ring is available from novatec, but getting the old one out is the problem.

Paging @Karate Monkey with magical blind pullers.

No idea. Most modern ones are screwed in with thread fixative. If you don't have the exact tool to remove it, you're kinda hosed (and those look too beat up to get the tool in, anyway).

Best bet is just to rebuild the whole thing with a new hub that has definite replacement parts available, if that's your kind of thing.

That ring is a loss anyway, could be dremel-ed out with a side cutting bit. Then you can assess if replaceable with the Novatec ring. I thought Salsa hubs were Formula though ?

keep/sell the freehub. i already have an extra, otherwise i'd grab it.

Reactions: CJS
Back
Top Bottom