Salsa at REI

phillychris498

As long as REI isn't price cutting the salsa's they sell lower than MSRP, I don't think much would change if the REIs in NJ starting carrying salsas. There are more advantages of buying local than buying at a large chain like REI, especially at the same price. maybe I'm crazy, but I think someone investing in a higher end mountain bike like a salsa would gravitate towards a local business anyway.

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
REI historically has been very good about observing MSRP and MAP policies.
However, Salsa will probably come to regret the decision eventually, once REI squeezes them for placement fees, discounts, extended terms, co-op funds. They tend to use these methods to enhance their gross margins.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
REI has had Surly so Salsa sort of makes sense.

Salsa/Surly have a few bikes that fit perfectly into the REI range. They started carrying the Long Haul Trucker and Cross Check which appeal to people buying sensible commuting/touring type bikes. With the Salsa's I'm going to assume they'll be selling things like the Vaya or El Mariachi not so much bikes like a Pony Rustler.

Allison definitely sees the retailer side of it. The customers probably see more of the corporate friendly aspect of good return policies and people wearing REI shirts doing community service.

Blair

REI historically has been very good about observing MSRP and MAP policies.
However, Salsa will probably come to regret the decision eventually, once REI squeezes them for placement fees, discounts, extended terms, co-op funds. They tend to use these methods to enhance their gross margins.
You can get 20% off just about anything and another 10 in coop refund

Johnny Utah

Salsa and Surly are brands run by Quality Bicycle Product, so either way, I am sure they were supplier prior to this agreement.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Lots of hellfire coming down on the industry forums.

Many see this as a move of desperation or a sellout move.

Some point to the change in command:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...e-flagg-steps-down-qbp-president#.V3UIE5MrJyo

As a salsa dealer I am certainly disappointed to see this move. Personally I am planning on pulling back my commitment to the brand. How much is tbd..

They are just in 11 stores (for now) and none anywhere near us. That still doesn't mean they won't be in all stores in another year. Frankly salsa isn't geared up for that much business yet anyway.

We have had our best year ever with the 27+ bikes so for me this comes at the worst time.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I feel like the QBP brands in general are tanking hard and this is a solution to save themselves. Everything in the line-up is outdated and stock is so limited that few shops are interested in carrying anything by them. I also feel they fall into a weird grey area where they're not an LBS specific brand anyway, anyone with a QBP account can sell the bikes, like EMS. And on the flip side of that, I'm sure REI is pissed that I sell camping supplies and tents in our store so whatevs.

Top Bottom