saddle fit

Shaggz

A strong 7
the extra time on the trainer is leaving me sore as hell, and I am wondering if my saddle fit is correct. is there a standard way to measure for proper saddle fit? does anyone use a saddle with more padding when they are on the trainer?

heythorp

Welcome to biker's ass. This is what happens when you start to spend more time the saddle. Your body will get used to it, it hurts it sucks but just take it like a man.

More padding can actually make it worse.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Are there any warnign signs that I should be aware of - numbness as opposed to soreness? I still want to make sure that the saddle fits properly.

heythorp

ok 95% of the population has the same width sit bones. 142 i believe, they make narrower and wider ones, but i am 142, elle is 142 everyone i know that has ever been measured is a 142.

The likely hood you are anything different would be rare. I have had bikers ass so bad it has almost made me shed tears, but you just grin and bare and and keep pedaling

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have had bikers ass so bad it has almost made me shed tears, but you just grin and bare and and keep pedaling

Wow, I've never gotten that bad. I guess it's different for everyone. It hurts after a loooong road ride once in a while. But usually nothing too bad.

D

DANSPANK

You'll be fine until you start feeling numbness in unmentionables - then it's time to take a break!!

Shaggz

A strong 7
i was feeling numbness last night. I think I will switch back to my old specialized saddle.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
do any of the bike shops in northern nj have that foam thing from specialized to fit for the body geometry saddles?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Put a level on your saddle. Is it tilting up or even level? Sometimes you need to tilt forward a bit.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On the trainer, off the trainer, or both? Those blocks sometimes change things.

Shaggz

A strong 7
floor is level, and the saddle is slightly pointed down in relation to the bike, which is in a level riding position.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
bass ackwards

:D If the reach to the bars is excessive you be forming a very acute hip angle.

This tends to roll your pelvis forward which in turn may put extra pressure on your soft tissue. The goal is to support you body mass with your bone structure vs. your taint.

Try a shorter and more upright stem and see if anything changes. This may make your ass more sore due to the vertical compression. Ass soreness is much better than taint soreness. Taint trouble leads to prostititus. You don't want this. Ever.

As for saddles. There is no ONE saddle that works for everyone. For me the best bet has been the WTB Rocket v, Pure V, Fizik Alliante, Fizik Aerione TRI and the Brooks Swift.

The list of saddles I have tried and really really hated is much longer. Trying various saddles can be very expensive. If you want to spend an hour trying saddles and working on your position I will be glad to help. I have spent the last ten years learning all I can about bike fitting. The biggest trouble with bike fit is that all the various "experts" have conflicting opinions an what is "Right". Based on this conflict I have taken some aspects from a few different fit guidelines and tweaked it for my own use.

I learn new stuff all the time and I get surprised all the time at the very weird body proportions that I see.

Best o' luck

j:)

Try the WTB Rocket V, the BF and I both ride this saddle and have no complaints, soreness or numbness.

You could move the saddle forward a bit as well, and get the widest part of the saddle under your sit bones versus behind the cheeks.

Shaggz

A strong 7
jdog, jgr thanks for the info. i am going to swap the saddle tonight with my old body geometry and will try to implement some of these changes. j i will take my bike w/me when i make it down to halter's and have you take a look. i think my fit may be off a bit.

ArmyOfNone

since you brought it up...i was riding on the trainer last nite and my toes in my left foot started getting all tingly and numb. I know my road bike is small for me, that may have sumtin to do w/ that. My legs were pretty shot ne ways. so i alternated pedalling w/ one leg at a time

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
since you brought it up...i was riding on the trainer last nite and my toes in my left foot started getting all tingly and numb. I know my road bike is small for me, that may have sumtin to do w/ that. My legs were pretty shot ne ways. so i alternated pedalling w/ one leg at a time

You look like a dancing bear on that thing. Not bad for free though.

Riding with spds on the road bike does that to me too.

j

Top Bottom