s works shoe fit?

szymon

I was wondering if anyone knows how the 6 or 7 compare to s phyre's, especially how much mid shoe and toe volume, more or less then shimano?

szymon

I figured I'd ask since no one close has them in stock in my size. I've been riding them for 8-9 months and I feel the same, they feel loose and sloppy not really what previous models were. Yesterday I rode my old xc90's and while there beat to hell the heel and overall shoe is so much more secure. I'm hoping the sworks has less volume because the dials are almost maxed out on my sphyres and they still feel like a old worn out sneaker.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Did you try them on first? Seems like you just bought the wrong size. But I probably don't log as many miles as you or Ryan so I wouldn't know.

xc62701

I figured I'd ask since no one close has them in stock in my size. I've been riding them for 8-9 months and I feel the same, they feel loose and sloppy not really what previous models were. Yesterday I rode my old xc90's and while there beat to hell the heel and overall shoe is so much more secure. I'm hoping the sworks has less volume because the dials are almost maxed out on my sphyres and they still feel like a old worn out sneaker.
I feel like you hit my impression of them spot on. The structure of the shoe had no rigidity to it. I was expecting more but was disappointed. And yes @jimvreeland they were the right size.

Joe J

I have not tried the latest s works 6 but have the 2 previous versions I'll call them 4 (size 43.5) & 5 (size 43) for clarity & XC90 (size 43). The XC90 are very comfortable they just feel more like a worn out sneaker than a racing shoe. In wet conditions they also hold water and get heavy. The s works 5 are my go to CX & XC shoes great power transfer, snug fit, light even when wet. They do bite into my ankle a bit over time so for long rides 3+ hrs I don't wear them. The oldest S works are my go to long ride shoes fit is about the same as the xc90 but they just feel more secure I think it's because the xc90's have more padding.

I also have the s works 7 road shoe that are awesome. They are so light & wrap my foot so well that I feel like I don't even have a shoe on. I was planning to give the newer s works mtb shoe a try this year as they look very similar to the road but when I just looked at the site I don't see them listed anymore. Maybe getting redesigned or the recon has replaced them.

Last edited:

szymon

Did you try them on first? Seems like you just bought the wrong size. But I probably don't log as many miles as you or Ryan so I wouldn't know.

Length wise I couldn't go down half a size because my toes would be hitting, the problem is the upper seems to be much bigger in volume over previous shoes. I have weird feet, narrow heel and mid foot, very high arch, standard width forefoot but very skinny foot as far as height goes so my instep is low and doesn't need very much volume the reason why I can max out the boas on certain shoes. Even with custom orthotics there is way too much volume in the shoe to feel secure. Comparing previous shimano shoes the heel area in the older shoes was much more secure and stiffer, in the new one feels loose and almost too soft. While its nice that the shoe material is soft it almost feels too soft providing no support and it only seems to get worse over time as the shoe wears and the upper stretches. Maybe mine are to the point of being worn out, not really sure but from online reviews it looks like the swork 6 or 7 have a very secure heel area which I'm hoping would help.

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My reco would be try before you buy. I've been very unhappy with my upgrade to 7's in both mtn and road. In the fall, I moved from 6 to 7 sworks mtb shoes and an older model sworks road shoe to 7. I bought same size 6 to 7 mtb shoe and find the fit is close but the 7 is not nearly as comfortable. The 7 has a little more room in the toe box but is a little more narrow at the mid-foot. I can live with these and will keep for now.

The move from the older sworks road shoe to the 7 has been difficult. I bought a larger size to match the 7 mtb shoes but think I needed the "wide" version. Toe box is fine but really narrow at the mid-foot. Lots of mid-ride tinkering to manage discomfort. I plan to change to new shoe in near future.

szymon

Thanks for the info, my foot is narrow in the heel and midfoot so these might work, I think I might order both and return the one that fits worse.

Joe J

Thanks for the info, my foot is narrow in the heel and midfoot so these might work, I think I might order both and return the one that fits worse.

Where have you seen the SW 7's still for sale? The only ones I see on the Specilized site are the Recon.

THATmanMANNY

Everyone’s feet are different. Let’s see your feet... juuust kidding

But for what it’s worth. I only have Spesh shoes. I bought into their BG design when I first started cycling.

szymon

Where have you seen the SW 7's still for sale? The only ones I see on the Specilized site are the Recon.

The sworks 7 mtb are the recon, I actually ended up ordering both the 6 and 7 road since I found the road models a lot cheaper then the mtb and I'll see which I like better or if they fit my foot at all. Any local stores do the specialized custom retul footbeds, seems most are atleast 2-3hrs away from looking at the list?

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
go see Greg (don't know his last name) @ skibarn in Wayne on rt 23. Call to make an appointment. (973) 256-8585

He does custom insoles for cycling shoes, ski boots, etc. Worth every penny.

This contact comes from Tim Dougherty of FitFirst Solutions based out of Cycle Craft in Parsippany. Another thing worth the money

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
go see Greg (don't know his last name) @ skibarn in Wayne on rt 23. Call to make an appointment. (973) 256-8585

He does custom insoles for cycling shoes, ski boots, etc. Worth every penny.

This contact comes from Tim Dougherty of FitFirst Solutions based out of Cycle Craft in Parsippany. Another thing worth the money

Greg Pier. Didn‘t know he did cycling shoes, but he was “The Man” to go to for ski boots and footbeds when he owned Heino’s ski shop.

szymon

Thanks, I also didn't know he did cycling insoles, I'll try calling him when the shoes come in.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I am a Sidi guy but I bought the Sphyre shimano road shoes as I have a wide foot. They bunch up if you tighten the front boa too much but are super comfy. I bought the Sworks 7 previously and I couldn’t get my foot in. Between the grippy rubber material and being super narrow I had to return them. They also felt kind of cheap. I use Sidi Tigers for mtb and love them.

szymon

Years ago I had sidi mtb and road and fit was great but they must have changed the fit because I had the drakos and wires last year and couldn't get the fit right. Width was a little wide for my foot but I could live with it, the problem was way too much volume around the top of the instep making the top dial almost maxed out and causing a pinching effect in the tongue that was very painful. I still have my old sidi mtb shoes and when compared to the new ones the overall volume is very different.

szymon

The shoes came in and I have to agree with ryan the sworks feel so much better. I haven't ridden them yet but from wearing them in the house the heel and midfoot area feel a lot more secure almost to the point that the boas can be loose and no heel lift. These feel a lot more like my old xc90 other then the forefoot is a little wider and seem a lot lighter.

Top Bottom