RV project meetings/updates

qclabrat

Thanks @chemgirl - appreciate the update.
Norm, I don't know Cushetunk well enough, would Pickell Park be the only access point into the CMP

I remember when they redid Spruce Run a number of years back and drained a large volume of the lake. Looks like I'll be fishing more at RV next few years, think of the concentration in fish per square meter!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Norm, I don't know Cushetunk well enough, would Pickell Park be the only access point into the CMP

I remember when they redid Spruce Run a number of years back and drained a large volume of the lake. Looks like I'll be fishing more at RV next few years, think of the concentration in fish per square meter!

Going into pickell goes to the powerlines - it would provide access to the blue trail - which is not really mtb friendly - or hike friendly.
Working along the power lines, could get to yellow, and/or the base of the white trail up to the saddle (also using the yellow/red to make it a bit more friendly)

https://www.strava.com/activities/600786170

qclabrat

Going into pickell goes to the powerlines - it would provide access to the blue trail - which is not really mtb friendly - or hike friendly.
Working along the power lines, could get to yellow, and/or the base of the white trail up to the saddle (also using the yellow/red to make it a bit more friendly)

https://www.strava.com/activities/600786170
where would you park?
I've only ridden from Pickell once and it wasn't good from recollection

Patrick

Staff member
where would you park?
I've only ridden from Pickell once and it wasn't good from recollection

there is parking across the street from the cush lot.

also, Cornhusker Park, and go in the back gate - which avoids the hike-a-bike, but adds some road, path on right side going in.

i'm still trying to find how to access the trails from farther down dreahook road (there is a gate),

I wonder if negotiating with the scout camp - perhaps to purchase a parking pass, or offer some other
quid pro quo work???

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw someone post on Strava that the red trail is now closed so I figured I would give an official update from the Round Valley Project. I'm just re-quoting what was released in the last announcement. That's about all I know.

Announcement of New Cushetunk Trail Route

In connection with the Earthen Dam Rehabilitation project, which is starting at the end of January, the Cushetunk (red) Trail through the Round Valley Youth Center property (near the intersection of County Route 629 and Molasses Hill Rd) has been re-routed. The new trail route will officially be in place by the end of January. This change to the trail is permanent. New signage has been installed and the Park maps are being updated. The trail will be very near one of the project staging areas and visitors should avoid all construction areas by staying on the trail. The trail will cross several construction roads and visitors should use caution in these areas as heavy trucks and other machinery may be present.

Patrick

Staff member

TAS

Latest RV Project Update and map of the reroute on Red.
https://www.roundvalleyproject.com/2020/03/26/progress-update-03-26-20/#

CushetunkRerouteMap-Park-2-12-20-768x593.jpg

TAS

Cassinonorth

Cassinonorth

Dam, i usually work that - I gotta call Ray, see why he didn't change up the course - we could have ridden on rt 22!

I think the park still wouldn't grant him permits so he was just going to err on the side of caution and postpone. I think that was my last tri I possibly had on my calendar.

Jerseyman & J-Man Swim Athletes,

We hope this email finds everyone safe, happy, and healthy during this unprecedented time.

Because of the ongoing global pandemic hindering our ability to acquire permits, in addition to construction around the Reservoir closing roads on the bike course (https://www.roundvalleyproject.com/), we have been forced to make the extremely difficult decision to cancel the Jerseyman Triathlon and J-Man Swim for 2021. We have been holding out hope that we could make these races happen for 2021 but with the significant restrictions around the state of NJ ongoing (including but not limited to event size limitations, permits not being accepted by State Parks until February at the earliest, etc), the construction, and USAT regulations on races, we have realized it just is not possible for this coming year. We are hopeful that we can bring back the event in 2022 but given the uncertainty that all businesses are operating with in today’s world, we are unsure if that will happen.

We have already incurred significant non-refundable costs including but not limited to shirts, awards, medals (all with 2020 on them), catering (which went out of business), etc. Like other local races and even Ironman triathlon, all athletes sign a waiver when registering that in the event a race is cancelled there will be no refunds. This policy for my race has been the same for years and unfortunately this year is no different.

Personally, I have been in the sport of triathlon for over 40 years and love putting on races to give back to the sport that gave so much to me so having to make this decision has not been an easy one for me. I appreciate everyone’s support over the years and I look forward to the time when we can all race safely again.

Raymond Campeau

Patrick

Staff member
Project update:

I guess the only important thing is that the road will remained closed between the boat launch and north dam, so need to go out to rt 22,
and back in through "town" to complete a loop. (i don't think there is a way to get to the railroad tracks - there is a service road along them)

lots of cool equipment, and new sight lines!
Ride the waterline - lots of features to hop onto, until the weeks come.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That reroute is going to be a slopfest. Which really negates the value of these trails.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another re-route? They cut so many trees to make the Cush re-route, there's nothing to soak up the water.

Patrick

Staff member
That reroute is going to be a slopfest. Which really negates the value of these trails.

there are a couple bad spots - i think they can be remediated with a little digging, and moving some of the tree trunks that are along the trail.
I usually start in cush anyway - and never make it that far!

wonder if we can pop out to the road and use some of the alternate access (scout camp driveway) when it is really wet?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions