Rutgers Ecological Preserve

If you guys are ready to start a jorba chapter at Rutgers I can put in some serious hours as I'm damn near always on campus and most of that time I'm free. If manny is on the move to find the right people I'll probably go out tomorrow to map out as much of whatever is there as possible, I'll take my bike and gps anyone else that wants to come that'd be cool. I'm bound to miss stuff but something is better than nothing, I'll have to be on my dualie because my other bike got beaten up last night and I don't want to take it out before I give it some TLC :p

...I'll take my bike and gps anyone else that wants to come that'd be cool...

Are you available today? 5pm or so? I can meet you at johnson park. We can map it out. I'll bring my action cam. We can show what scale this place is through video and gps map. Plus, this board needs a GPS map for the preserve too...

Hmm, yeah, but I'd have to run back home to get my bike, I'm free for pretty much the rest of the day. Anyway you can make it earlier or are you doing that whole "work" thing :p

I'm going to play the role of pre-Mergs here, for the sake of making sure people are on the right page.

If you're serious about this you need to be serious about this, otherwise it will end up wasting people's time. Understand that I'm not pointing at anyone on this thread. It's just a real commitment to do the work needed for this kind of project and I can almost surely say that Mergs is not going to do the legwork for you, since he only has 2 legs and too much work as it is.

If this really is 2 land management entities I imagine that will make things more difficult. One may say "go for it" while the other might say, "screw off." But until you try and make contact with the land managers, you'll never know. Also, understand that adding a second bureaucracy will likely double the legwork needed, especially as it pertains to RU and the RU Screw.

For sure you need to get in touch with the land manager(s). You probably also want to make yourself known to the various JORBA reps, like Mergs, Jay, Jason, Kirt, Frank, Bob, Ellen, etc etc. The all have maroon names on the board. A great way to do that would be to attend the Chimney Rock or Ringwood IMBA TCC sessions. Or maybe both! Also, get your hands dirty a bunch doing TM work. That way, you'll be able to talk to land managers and sound like you know what you're talking about. It will also allow you to be able to call up Mergs, or Frank, or any of these guys and ask for advice or for maybe one of them to step in where you need some help.

There ya go. I don't speak for Mergs but I've traded several emails with him about this particular subject and this is what I've gathered. Also, the more you pump this stuff on the board, the more people here will show up to help.

I'm good to put in the effort, it's so to where I am that it shouldn't be too much trouble. Maybe me being Rutgers faculty could help? I think people have tried contacting Rutgers before and didn't really get anywhere.

http://www.leoraw.com/hpenv/about/

HP has an environmental commission that helps make recommendations about the use of space. If this is really partly managed by them, they'd probably be a good place to start for the non-rutgers end followed by actually contacting the former rec department of HP

http://www.hpboro.com/depts_comservices.htm

Edit: And yeah, rubbing elbows with people that have done this already is an awesome way to go, I'm busy saturday morning, but I'm going to try and make it out for the trail work at CR in the second half of the day. And sunday is our little diablo trip

Last edited:
Here is a map. There are several threads from the past on here with some contacts etc from previous attempts at TMs or whatever at this place.
Its not that big of a place and really the TM is minimal. Not much room for more trails in there either IMO.
I will post this map under the sticky as well.
Heres the url for where the map came from as well:
http://www.leoraw.com/hpenv/biod/repMap.htm

Edit: actually there could be a few connectors between some of the trails.

Attachments

• REPmap.jpg
    REPmap.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
One Step At A Time

I always thought it could be much better and I am serious about this.

I am not focusing on any JORBA stuff right now.

RIGHT NOW I am focusing on getting in touch with the right individual to do any sort of TM. That is all I am doing.

I also intend put another TM under my belt and show up to saturday afternoons Chimney Rock TM.

EDIT: My original email was sent to RUcycling and Highland Park Hermes group. I just revised the email and sent it to Highland Park.

ellbiddy, check pm in a few

Last edited:
u know i'll lend a hand.
a few months back madness, sixseven and i did a little clipping and blazing there, nothing much.

Me and Manny just did a ride there and it was a blast he got some video and I logged all the gps I ran back to work so I can sneak out to the gym but as soon as I'll get home I'll post it up. That place is really awesome, it's like a techy version of 6 mile, less flat, but a lot shorter. Hopefully we can piece together a solid loop from the data :D I'll post it here and in the sticky on the preserve page.

Here's the MB data:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6935852

And for those technically challenge a link to the google maps version:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...trail/kml/episode.kml?episodePkValues=6935852

We did a couple laps around the place and it was a blast, Looks like we may have missed some stuff out west past those houses, not sure if that's ridable we pretty much stayed out till it got too dark ;p

Edit: lmao, we hit 27 and change mph bombing down that one part Manny ;)

Last edited:
It looks fun, I'll definitely have to check it out next time I'm in town. Is that 2,700' of vertical change right though? Looking on google's topo map the place looks flat...

It looks fun, I'll definitely have to check it out next time I'm in town. Is that 2,700' of vertical change right though? Looking on google's topo map the place looks flat...

the 6 mile MB that elbiddy took also says that, so i wouldnt go by that:p

if you look at the elevation graph it makes sense.

place is small you'll never get lost, fast, and fun. Good place to have no predetermined loop and just follow the leader.

if you look at the elevation graph it makes sense.

place is small you'll never get lost, fast, and fun. Good place to have no predetermined loop and just follow the leader.

That elevation is way off. Elbiddy, turn on the gravity web setting in motion based to get a better idea of the actual evevation.

Yeah, I did that, looks a little cleaner, but the relative shape is similar, the elevation gains are a little more reasonable too. Anyway to keep that on by default in MB?

Yeah, I did that, looks a little cleaner, but the relative shape is similar, the elevation gains are a little more reasonable too. Anyway to keep that on by default in MB?

Thats better.

There is a way to have it do this automatically when you upload. I forget where, check your account settings, ect.

Back
Top Bottom