Running 27.5 wheels on a 29er frame?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
0ECB084A-4653-454C-BFCB-CB276F34ED9D.jpeg

serviceguy

A 27.5 fork is a 27.5 fork. A 27.5+ fork is a 29 fork. A 27.5 2.8 width tire doesn't mean it's a 27.5+ 2.8. It have a shorter profile and less volume.
I maybe wrong but I’ve been studying the conversion for quite some time and I think you would find difficult to find a 27.5 2.8 tire that is not classified as +, maybe confusing with Wide Trail (WT) ? More than happy to be corrected if wrong.

serviceguy

Yes, it is a 27.5. I'm suggesting that maybe I can fit a 27.5+ tire on the fork if that's the way I need to go to make a 29" frame work.
Again, you need to check the specs of the frame in order to match the correct crown to axle size. If the fork is shorter than required even if you can fit a 27.5+ tire the geometry will be screwed and the head tube angle steepened.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Again, you need to check the specs of the frame in order to match the correct crown to axle size. If the fork is shorter than required even if you can fit a 27.5+ tire the geometry will be screwed and the head tube angle steepened.
Right. In my case the fork will be taller than the frame is designed for by 20mm.

tonyride

I maybe wrong but I’ve been studying the conversion for quite some time and I think you would find difficult to find a 27.5 2.8 tire that is not classified as +, maybe confusing with Wide Trail (WT) ? More than happy to be corrected if wrong.
I think Plus (+) is 2.8"-3.0". I bought a plus bike a few years ago and it came with 2.8" tires and friends of mine also bought plus bikes and theirs came with 3.0" tires.

serviceguy

I think Plus (+) is 2.8"-3.0". I bought a plus bike a few years ago and it came with 2.8" tires and friends of mine also bought plus bikes and theirs came with 3.0" tires.
That is pretty much my understanding so far. My El Mar conversion is on Rekon + 2.8 and my Knolly is on 3.0 High Roller II +

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

i believe there are one or two tires available in 3.0-3.5 width somewhere which are also considered plus tires, but they are rare and i cant find supporting proof right now

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i believe there are one or two tires available in 3.0-3.5 width somewhere which are also considered plus tires, but they are rare and i cant find supporting proof right now

fat b nimble in 27.5x3.5 is available.
i just picked up 29x3, but haven't tried them yet.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i should clarify a little bit.

i think 3.5 is the smallest 'fat' tire but i thought i saw something above 3.0 but still in the 'plus' range, still cant find it, running out of cares to keep looking.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Man, you guys really know how to split hairs.

plus is 2.8 and up but below fat bike .the wheel size has nothing to do with it, nor does WT casings. 2.6-2.8 is where tires settled in because above that (3.0) you got too much float in cornering.

for the fork, axle to crown is what you need to look at however, if you use full travel, this is where you would have the issues of geo feeling weird. That being said, is you are 20mm higher, you will chopper the bike out a bit so it wouldn’t be that big a deal. The bigger issue is the smaller rear wheel Dropping all the geo on your rear end.

Last edited:

tonyride

I'm quite impressed with the shipping time. Placed the order on Wednesday and this showed up on Friday. Now the fun begins. Anyone here well versed in tapered headset specs? I'm trying to figure out what headset I need.
116545393_10222696665382416_7340236209448703081_o.jpg

BPaze

This should tell you what you need. You don’t have to buy a cane creek headset just take the specs.

tonyride

This should tell you what you need. You don’t have to buy a cane creek headset just take the specs.
The link doesn't seem to work for me.

BPaze

The link doesn't seem to work for me.
Not sure what is going on but you can give them a call or the company of the headset you want to get specs specific to your bike or attempt to measure to determine

serviceguy

I'm quite impressed with the shipping time. Placed the order on Wednesday and this showed up on Friday. Now the fun begins. Anyone here well versed in tapered headset specs? I'm trying to figure out what headset I need.
View attachment 135960
Hard to tell from the cardboard box...BTW Ragley lists the headset upper and lower specs for each model so should be pretty easy to figure out.

Last edited:

mtbiker87

All the nay sayers should have watched the Crankworks summer series duel salom from last week. Bas VanSteenbergen won on a 27.5 / 26" mullet. Miranda Miller/ Rhys Verner were sharing a Kona Process 111 that had 27.5's on it in instead of the stock 29er's. I recently sold a GT aggressor that just for shits and giggles I set up as a 27.5/26" mullet...which actually made it a much better, more fun bike. Also have run my Knolly Chilcotin as a 27.5/26 mullet with a 26" fox 36, but I'd need a real 27.5 fork to make work best. Couldnt get anything more aggressive than a Maxxis Ardent clearence wise, which just don't cut it. Do your homework, and can make these " alternative " ideas work.

Yet in the long run....much easier,though maybe not as much fun, to just buy the right stuff in the first place. Good luck with the Ragley! Nice bikes !

Last edited:

tonyride

It says it needs ZS44/28.6 | EX44/40. I kinda know what the numbers stand for and I know ZS is zero stack but WTF is EX? Is that the same as EC? If so then I think i know what I need. BTW, the frame is a Blue Pig.

Top Bottom