Runners Knee ?

F

FallGirl1430

Has anyone ever had what is termed ... "Runners Knee" I had it 2 years ago when I rode up to Washington Rock in the Watchungs. My Dr. had told me it's caused by the ligiment that is under the patella (knee cap) and it rubs the underside and can cause irritation and pain. I'm told that rest is the best thing for it. I also have a brace similar to what is worn when someone has tennis elbow. I think the longer laps in the Sport class and races such as Tymor has caused this. Has anyone had this problem and what do I do. I surley can't rest nor take a month off from riding, YIKES. I may ask my Dr to give me a steriod shot,

Thanks, Christina ... :(

xc62701

I had that last year. I had to do some physical therapy that included ice and eletric stimulation with some massage and taping of the knee cap. Mine was irritated because my kneecap was tracking badly but I think it's pretty similar. It took a while of working through the pain but it eventually subsided. And now I have IT band issues on my other knee...Go figure...

F

FallGirl1430

Thanks for posting Ryan, I have an appointment with my Dr on June 18th.

Christina ... :)

xc62701

Yea I know it blows but you've gotta find the right mix of rest and activity. I raced most of my season last year on it and it's fine this year. I can still feel it sometimes but I'm so stubborn I just "make it disappear". :D

keithsly

I had simular issues back when I raced sports with very angry knees.... My issues when unresolved by an MD. I essentially iced my knees every night after any type of training sessions. 2 big ziplock bags filled with ice and wrapped in just damp mini towels on both knees laying on my back with them elevated on the arm of the couch. I used to do this for about 3 hours a night....

Now I have no problems and I felt that this period in my life was my body adjusting to the pain I was putting it through and certain parts of my body need to just get stronger... Now I compete on the Road, haven't MTB raced yet this year but all I ride is a SS, and have finished 2 Marathons, and 1 Half Marathon with no problems...

Good Luck just be careful of anything that a doc wants to give you to mask pain.....that's how you ruin your body !!!:mad2:

rocknrollgirl

I have it. I was down for 3 months with it this winter. Rest, balanced training, ice, stretch, pt. That is what is sort of working for me.

Cortisone shots can damage the cartilage fibers in your your body. Be very careful about going that route. My friend got a steriod shot this winter, it ate away the skin and tendon and she just had to have surgery.

Take your time and let it heal. Your body is trying to tell you something.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i got a bunch of issues myself - IT band stuff, tracking issues (at least according to a physical therapist) - i have lots of pain in both knees and the right hip. i totally trust the advice from my PT, but finally am going to an ortho next friday to really have my limbs looked at. i honestly can't wait to see what the doc has to say... hopefully i won't hear "don't ever run again" - we'll see.

i used to be able to deal-with/manage the pain when running. it was usually a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, with the occasional quick spike up to maybe a 5 or 6. it wasn't until my last race was when i officially threw in the towel on running. my last race was the mtn man - it killed me to run - the first run, i was slow and in lots and lots of pain within a 1/4 mile... i hammered the bike laps with no issues, but lost place after place after place on the last run - the pain was pretty up there, probably a consistent 7 to 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, and the knees got stiffer and stiffer. advil, ice and rest was what i did after, some stretching helped, but running seems like a thing of the past for me for right now.

keithsly

What may help you is do two things........ I did a little research in my NSCA Training materials...

1. Strengthen your Quads (This will improve your patellar tracking). Hit the GYM .... Squats, Quad Extensions, and Hamstring Extensions.... or you can start at home with Wall Sits

2. Strech out your Hamstrings & Calves (A great way to strech you calves is to put your pedals at 3 and 9 on your bike and drop your heals) Any strech should be held not pulsed. This will prevent overpronation (Overpronation is when you have too much roll on the inside of your foot... so the inside of your foot takes most of the impact.)

So if you are going to run .... Go to a running store to have a Gait Analysis (This determines posture related movements and you will be better fit with proper shoes and maybe even inserts into you MTB shoes.... it may help if your running up hills during races)

Good LUCK !!:hmmm:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
This a real shot in the dark, but, have you considered re-adjusting your pedals.....I assume your running clipless. Also another guess is to move your seat. I have done both to alleviate knee pain.

F

FallGirl1430

This a real shot in the dark, but, have you considered re-adjusting your pedals.....I assume your running clipless. Also another guess is to move your seat. I have done both to alleviate knee pain.

I have pedals that rotate and allow the foot to move side to side. The pain comes and goes. It's from climbing or even worse "grinding" up hills.
I want to thank everyone for their advice. It really has helped,

Christina ... :)

Top Bottom