Rumors...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any truth in the whispers of mtbnj putting on an event early next season ?

Oh man, I love rumors. I'm a veritable gossip slut. I assume by "event" you mean an actual, bona fide, gen-u-wine mountain bike race with start lines, yellow tape, arrows, and guys with stop watches?

If something like that were going to happen, of the 3 of us mtbnj-ers behind the scenes I would likely be the one driving it. At this time, I have no knowledge of anything like that.

As to where you may have gotten such an idea, that possibly did start with me. But much like a game of operator, some of the details were probably warped a bit along the way, and I would blame a few beers at the picnic for that.

I have been talking to a few people, well 2 actually, about maybe doing an informal short track race or TT-kinda thing over the winter just to help keep the engine warm, so to speak. The numbers would be low, really just a group ride competition. Given that most parks want a permit for any gathering over 15-20 (or so), it would likely be capped at 14-19 (or so). Maybe everyone throws in 5 bucks and winner takes all, though why I would just give up a fiver on a race I know I won't win is a dubious economic decision to say the least.

Anyway, that's all I have. I haven't put much thought into it in the last few weeks but maybe this is a good place to start. So with that in mind...

1. Is this just a dumb idea, and if so why?
2. If not, is anyone interested?
3. Any thoughts beyond that?
4. If a train leaves Buffalo heading towards Chicago doing 14 mph but increases its speed every hour by 1 mph but always skips speeds that are divisible by 10...holy crap my station is next. Ok gotta get off the train.

rocknrollgirl

What about an informal series, hitting different parks. Everyone gets a home court advantage, different terrain.....BEER...sorry, I was saying something about mt bikes....

SpartaBard

Maybe everyone throws in 5 bucks and winner takes all, though why I would just give up a fiver on a race I know I won't win is a dubious economic decision to say the least.

Depends, if you invite the likes of Shaggz and myself, it would not be that bad of a decision on your part. If you are organizing it you can set yourself up pretty well. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
if there is a permit requirement for groups larger than 15, what if people started in groups of 15 or less, despite a total of thirty seven people showing up and just happenning to end up in the same spot at the same time.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hmmm...this is very interesting. looks like my PR machine is spinning itself. lovely!

if my hill climbing win is any indication of my future in "unofficial" racing, count me in. ryderx's son can play though. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What about an informal series, hitting different parks. Everyone gets a home court advantage, different terrain.....BEER...sorry, I was saying something about mt bikes....

This was definitely the idea. Informal, and jumping to different parks. Beer optional though.

if there is a permit requirement for groups larger than 15, what if people started in groups of 15 or less, despite a total of thirty seven people showing up and just happenning to end up in the same spot at the same time.

I agree that this could work, maybe a few times. But I imagine we'd get caught up with eventually. It's not that I'm opposed to a permit. I'd just hate to have to deal with X months of red tape to make it happen.

will paydirt count toward this race series?? :D

Hey, that guy van...something something made the same joke 5 posts ago! :)

hmmm...this is very interesting. looks like my PR machine is spinning itself. lovely!

My money would be on this rumor being the result of Norm and Ryan and a whole bunch of beer. What next? Jake invented the Internet? :D

pinkshirtphotos

maybe a stupid idea

what about a mini series

hit all the parks
each racer can only race 1 park
top 2 finishers in park will be put into finals
finals takes place in a park taken out of a hat

so you limit the races to ~14 people a race, and then after the race series is over you should have the best 14 or so racers, then pull your last course. do the final race be timed and whoever gets the most laps in wins.

racers pay $5 to enter and winners get the cash at the finals.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Hey, that guy van...something something made the same joke 5 posts ago! :)

DAMN HIM!!!! you're a moderator, make something happen! you could make his post dissappear... c'mon, help a brotha out. i gotta keep up my street cred, it's all i've got left! :(

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What next? Jake invented the Internet? :D

that's true.

I think I'm a frigin' genius. I made this post up on a whim to detract from that "other" topic. Though since it's taken on a life of it's own, let's run with it. I think that any un-official non sanctioned race series will need to have 1 ice race which I will volunteer to organize and make happen. I have the ideal location for it, and with the cooperation of mother nature we may be able to make it the 1st event in nearly year long series of events culminating in the 2nd annual MTBNJ hill climb championship held at the 2nd annual MTBNJ picnic next October.
Discuss amongst yourselves...
:D

your son is still banned! :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'll volunteer to organize and make a scavenger hunt type 'marathon' race happen. basically, a course of a set distance, with detours to hidden objects which, if found will give the finder a time bonus.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My first club membership was some 15 - 20 years ago. We all used to throw a dollar in the hat (later it was actually two bucks) - called it "buck-a-ride". We would have sprint points and obstacle points, most points gets the booty. We had between 5 and 15 persons usually.

This was very informal of course and the main point was to maintain the group ride but create some challenge during the ride. The inlcusion of some obstacle points was always fun, the fastest guy is not always the "best" rider.

Here's a for example:
We had a course that was about 3 miles - setup to do 3 loops. We would usually setup 2 re-grouping points on the loop. Have points for a hillclimb (maybe double if really hard), points for a DH, and find some moderate obstacles (rock gardens, log rollers, etc.). Points would be 3-2-1 (first second third). Most points gets the booty.
After we setup the 2 buck a ride - the pot was a 50-50. The balance was used to fund a year end dinner (which we still have even though most of the people don't ride).

Whatever the case may be these informal "races" were competetive and fun. The upside is that you can go out, push hard, and not spend half a day waiting for it to happen.

VanDbtRiver

DAMN HIM!!!! you're a moderator, make something happen! you could make his post dissappear... c'mon, help a brotha out. i gotta keep up my street cred, it's all i've got left! :(

it's van down by the river, that was one of the more clever names i could come up with given my geographic location, and that paydirt comment is my masterpiece. anyway, what are the steps involved in obtaining a permit and the costs? ive always been interested in that weekly race that happens in mass. every wednesday night. WIPS maybe, or holiday farms, cant remember.maybe it would be designed in a similar fashion. i know there is alot on everyones plate there has got to be a way to have a little competition maybe before or after a maintenance day. once again its a great idea and i'm sure there would be support

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I've always thought the lumberjack things were cool, except for trail maint. A race with a bob trailer, then dig a ditch, and hand saw a tree etc.

Stay away from drunk scootering around flaming barrels at night. I know a guy who got messed up doing that.:rofl:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
rumors race series?

so, for different races we have:

norm's time trial
ryderx's ice race
anrothar's scavenger marathon
graveyard's points race
pixie's trailbuilders challenge race
jbogner's urban mtb alleycat
glancing aft's ringwood 9-hole challenge

formats:

all inclusive
sean's interesting idea of a limited format. i guess the final race would be a combination of all of the types?

Last edited:
Top Bottom