Rumors...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the beast?

Not an official name, as in The Beast. It's just a brutal climb. Not sure if you made it out there when you went. At the Trail Closed sign there was a right hand trail that went up a steep hill. At the top you would then go down the beast of a climb. There used to be an immense, as in 4 foot, tree there but it's been cut out. So it would be an even longer climb. That would be to see who can climb the furthest up it. While it's possible to climb, I believe our resident semi-pro has only cleaned it twice and he rides there 50 times a year.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
come up with a name and start a thread. i'll be up for it. as long as it's not next weekend.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go with 11/24, Saturday after turkey day. Will post in RRE tomorrow.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So many rules...

Can we just show up to a race, or do we have to give prior notice. My winter weekends are entirely scheduled around snow fall amounts in the Adirondacks and plans are usually made on Friday at 2:00.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just show up. It would be nice to have an idea if enough people are going to show though, that's all. Or you can wait until Friday at 2:00 to day, "Yeah I should be there."

And rules are necessary because if you don't have them, people will cheat :)

Shaggz

A strong 7
i know this may not be an issue in the earlier races, but, once you hit critical mass, which may be between 15-20 riders, some of these parks require a permit. if this actually caught on, it would not be fair if someone like Jake or I were to take a spot from someone else, and then bail the day of the race

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a good thought. I don't think there will be a max limit in anything I do. If we get 30 people we'll just split off. Going forward we would have at least 2 people running the race, and if we need to break off 10-15 into a different class in a different part of the park, we can handle it that way.

Then at the end we can bring thr 2 groups together for a Tug of War, or a 3 legged sack race.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
would it really be that difficult to obtain a permit for a winter bar-b-que with organized group ride?

Shaggz

A strong 7
permits ain't cheap. the one for our picnic was a buck-twenty. would have been two but jake lives in morris so we got an insiders discount.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
shnikeys! the 16th person to show up to my event is gonna be the guest of honor at an impromptu blanket party! :getsome:

SpartaBard

Epic Race?

As an additional "epic" event, how about a distance race from Split Rock to Mahlon Dickerson?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
point to points can be tough to manage. need to have enough vehicles at the finish to get all the riders back to the start. it is a pretty sweet ride tough. really cool scenery.

SpartaBard

point to points can be tough to manage. need to have enough vehicles at the finish to get all the riders back to the start. it is a pretty sweet ride tough. really cool scenery.

Now that Marty's is on board, maybe they will allow us to use the bus and van... :hmmm:

Panhead

Or have enough rides for half the riders but don't tell them until the halfway point.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
hahahaha! that would rule.

"oh, by the way, the 7 slowest people will have to ride all the way back to denville... just thought you should know."

ryderX

So I'm a bit lost here what is the first event and when is it ? Should we do a PM chain letter thing to keep this on the down low ?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
first event is norms on november 24th, and it's posted as the round up at round valley. second might be mine, the berkshire valley buzzard's bash, looking like december 23rd for that one. that's got it's own topic too.

these are "timed and scored group rides". to avoid any conflicts. i don't necessarilly think we need to keep them on the down low. unless someones event will be invitation only.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Hmm. I've got a mean idea for a super-d ad hoc race. Unnamed trail in Northern NJ or Southern NY. No shuttling- ride up the entire course from the bottom, then regroup at the top with a mass-start race back down. First one to the bottom wins, multiple line options even the playing field between freeride bikes and trail bikes (steep, gnar and fast line for the big bikes takes way less time than the XC descent, which would make up for how much slower the big bikes would be through the flat section). Long flat pedaling sections make pure DH bikes uncompetitive, although bonus points go to the finisher on the heaviest bike. Singlespeeds and hardtails will be at a serious disadvantage, but still welcome to come play along. No course markings- must memorize the course on the ride up and make the correct turns on the way back down. Navigating correctly is part of the race.

Best thing is this race needs zero officials. Everyone there can participate.

I'll find a date when our crew can do it, and let you know. Location will be revealed to those who confirm through PM once the date is announced. Is 100% rideable on a 5" travel bike. Steeper and faster optional trails are best on a longer-travel freeride bike, flat sections are dirt road and rideable on anything.

Top Bottom