Rumble in the Jungle 2012 Edition

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1. On Safari1 s-turns, is this just drawing outside the lines or is there a bit of single track cutting thru the s-turns. Based on the crayon map I would say there is a bit of single track there, I just have never seen it before, is it new?

Hard to believe that I'm answering this, but I do remember at least 1 of them being there from way back when. But it wasn't ST, it was an old path that cut the corner. I remember when the course used to go up that pavement. On one of the pre-rides we took the upper path instead of the pavement since it was there.

I don't know if this has been refined or it's just raw like it used to be. I also don't know if the lower one is new or old. And of course there's at least a 25% chance I'm thinking of the totally wrong spot. My elephant is not like an elephant's.

No clue on #2, but there's some ST in that middle gray area that I've ridden both last year and last week. How it all strings together is a riddle to me.

MtnRider

Saturday AM pre-course ride @ Jungle?

Thinking about hitting Jungle around 8:30 AM tomorrow

No promises with GPS as the place is like the Bermuda Triangle with trying to follow it

Post if you'd like to join

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We'll see you out there, but a bit earlier. We're the ones who look like the Denver Broncos.

Team Town Cycle

From the crayon drawing it appears that there is some singletrack that I was not aware of at the Jungle, love discovering new trails so to that end I have a couple of questions.

1. On Safari1 s-turns, is this just drawing outside the lines or is there a bit of single track cutting thru the s-turns. Based on the crayon map I would say there is a bit of single track there, I just have never seen it before, is it new?

2. Same as above, right before the bamboo area and over by the monorail below otter slide there seems to be a bit of singletrack off the tar paths. Again based on the crayon map. I have never seen either bit of singletrack however that whole area is confusing to me still.

Thanks

1. Yes there is a bit of singletrack, not all new, there are some ghetto arrows out there for it as we speak

2. Yes also.

The course is in no way fully marked, but we have tried to get some arrows up by any new connectors or confusing intersections. Hopefully it helps!

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
does anyone have a nice simple garmin link of the cat2 loop that i can just send to my device and follow?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
does anyone have a nice simple garmin link of the cat2 loop that i can just send to my device and follow?

No, but this is the cat 1 course:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177325898

There are only 2-3 spots where the cat 1 & 2 courses differ. If you pay attention to the signs you'll see where.

Don't believe the hype. If you don't have a GPS you will not be able to follow the course. From the start the very first intersection isn't marked. I don't think the second is either.

MMuller

Place was in great shape today. Except for the beginning, markers were all over and well placed. Now, if it could stay this dry for the frickin race!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After discussing with someone last night, I'll throw this out there. I'm not sure that drop off the concrete block is a wonderful idea to have in the course. I think there's too much of a chance something bad happens there.

I'd also cut the vines off that 1 log. Those are pedal grabbers for sure.

Course is dry and as fast as it gets (which of course isn't *that* fast). Thanks for the efforts in putting the race together!

MMuller

After discussing with someone last night, I'll throw this out there. I'm not sure that drop off the concrete block is a wonderful idea to have in the course. I think there's too much of a chance something bad happens there.

I'd also cut the vines off that 1 log. Those are pedal grabbers for sure.

Course is dry and as fast as it gets (which of course isn't *that* fast). Thanks for the efforts in putting the race together!

Totally agree with all of this.

ChrisRU

Dont listen to the hype from falco, If you don't have a GPS track or know the course based on the map you won't be able to follow the course. There are only a few markings up at confusing intersections and turns where the cat 1/2/3 courses differ. They help but you can't rely on them to get you around the whole course

cem

I loaded the course on my 305 and struggled to follow it smoothly. I was able to get around with combo of markings, GPS and following others pre-riding. Lots of wrong turns and back tracking.

Either the trails are too close to easily follow with GPS, my 305 just wasn't accurate today or the course is slightly off, I'm thinking its all three

Jerzeejoe

ride

Is anyone riding here this week? If so could ya shoot me a message, Id like to try and pre ride before I race it this weekend...

Thanks Joe

Jerzeejoe

avail

ok.. Mosk.. Usually during the day but until I finish my med outprocessing prolly cant get up there til the evening

MtnRider

Planning on Thursday night 5:45 PM

Shooting for 2 laps of Cat 2 loop :getsome:

Be forewarned I know the park fairly well but staying on the course is another story - GPS works like your in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle up there

Top Bottom