Round Valley Historical Information

Dingo

A guy at work had this aerial pic of RV before the dam construction. I never saw this one, thought ya 'all would like to see it.
round valley.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
A guy at work had this aerial pic of RV before the dam construction. I never saw this one, thought ya 'all would like to see it.
View attachment 134474

this is awesome! The north and south dams are there/under construction. looks like the earth dam is also done. - the road through the middle is the back gate to RV - it connected into lebanon where the train underpass is.
Thanks!

Dingo

this is awesome! The north and south dams are there/under construction. looks like the earth dam is also done. - the road through the middle is the back gate to RV - it connected into lebanon where the train underpass is.
Thanks!
Is north the top of this pic? Never knew there are 3 dams.

Patrick

Staff member
Is north the top of this pic? Never knew there are 3 dams.

yes noth dam on top - to the left is the earth dam (dike?)
There is a separator for the swim area by the boat ramp(not pictured) - i'm not sure what that is called, it isn't a weir.
and the south dam, straight line structure at 9:00 in the picture.

At the south dam is the pump station to feed water into the res (it is not naturally fed)
it is the left side of the dam, to bring water in from the south branch of the raritan - a couple miles west of there.
It looks somewhat excavated - but i might be imagining it.

Dingo

Same guy has 2 more pics from the same grandmother album. He thinks they are RV at ground level during construction. His family lived near there.

will post as soon as he finds them

Patrick

Staff member
Bump - moved out of conditions -

Need the link for the movie

And the website that talks about the property on the cush side - land owners, boundary markers (still there)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha, like my dad?

The old shack is still there. I remember as a kid the dude who used to drive out and go up there. I’d love to buy that thing. I’d regret it shortly after but it’s nostalgia from my childhood.

w_b

Overnight? Didn’t it take like 10 years after it was completed just to fill?

Patrick

Staff member
Overnight? Didn’t it take like 10 years after it was completed just to fill?

yes - i think they were confusing it with the avalanche/mud slide in idaho (or was it wyoming?)

stilluf

thanks for sharing this. I didn't know the history behind the building of the reservoir. Sad that the town was flooded for a need that never occurred.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions