round valley 4/7 9am

anrothar

entirely thrilled
judging by the temperature, you were there at least an hour after i left.i'll have to do your loop next weekend. it'll make doing a double much, much easier, with the road section to recover.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
so then you're coming out next weekend to do an rv double with me and kirt?

are all the deer there mangy and ratty looking, or just the one i saw?

J-Dro

We hit the trail around 12:30. I had a bunch of crap to do this morning that forced an afternoon ride for me.

The only tricky part of the last section of the ride when your on that steep downhill, there is a left turn that takes you through a few more sweet rock gardens and eventually dumps you right back in the parking lot. If you miss that turn and keep going straight, I think it dumps you off in the power line easement, which you can also take back to the parking lot but not nearly as much fun.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The ratty thing you saw was Kirt. He was trying the double.

I mentioned in some post my next weekend is shot. My wife would be pissed if I bailed on the daughters first birthday party. The following weekend I'm open but I need to start early. I can't fathom 32 miles and 7000 vertical to be honest with you.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeff, that's basically the end of the full loop I do. Take that hard left through the rock gardens, then right at the bottom and back up the hike-a-bike and back out. Did you know...

If you do that little loop at the end, in Cushetunk, you circle an old house with a beat up old turquoise car sitting next to it? Never noticed it before but saw it yesterday. Strange to say the least. My dad always said someone lived back up in there but I never saw the house when I was a kid. I guess I finally did.

J-Dro

Jeff, that's basically the end of the full loop I do. Take that hard left through the rock gardens, then right at the bottom and back up the hike-a-bike and back out. Did you know...

If you do that little loop at the end, in Cushetunk, you circle an old house with a beat up old turquoise car sitting next to it? Never noticed it before but saw it yesterday. Strange to say the least. My dad always said someone lived back up in there but I never saw the house when I was a kid. I guess I finally did.

I've done this loop dozens of times and never saw the house or car. Weird.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
fun ride, glad everyone could(n't) make it. :D really fun park! would be incredible if it were a loop.... if this is maurices local park, (i think it is?), that explains alot. really steep, and pretty damned technical. not sourlands tech, but it's got some good rock gardens. highlight is by far the climbing though. hopefully next time i wont walk so much of it....

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2410356
What gear did you end up running, Sean?

(I'm trying to get some sense of what gear I can reasonably take to this place myself, not having been there in 10 years)

Thanks.

ArmyOfNone

If i could just jump in for a sec. No GF this coming weekend. Shes staying at school. Im up for destroying myself. Count me in! :D I will have to get my front der. working by then.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
chris, the hills get really steep. we're talking uper 20's % grade. i was running the 32x20, and am glad i didn't switch to the 18 for it. the downhills are just as steep, and there are only a few spots where one who were so inclined might wish for a higher gear.

sweet. we'll see you next weekend fred!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
chris, the hills get really steep. we're talking uper 20's % grade. i was running the 32x20, and am glad i didn't switch to the 18 for it. the downhills are just as steep, and there are only a few spots where one who were so inclined might wish for a higher gear.
Thank you, sir. Gotta do me some thinking now.

ArmyOfNone

Looking Ahead

I know this ride is gonna be hella tough. This week should i take it a bit easier so im fresh for the weekend? I have been feeling good tho, so im not to sure. I really am lookin forward to doubling RV up. I WILL OWN YOU!

sorry bout that...i gotta bit excited.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Check out the loop that we did today.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2412391

Thanks for this post. i did this loop today, it was a nice change to the 'King of the Hill' loop I usually do. Trails are in good shape. Went to Chimney Rock yesterday and the trails there are a mess.
You are right, if you miss that last hard left at the end you end up under the power lines, which you can take back to the parking lot.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i considered going that way, but assumed it lead to a house. before that trail reaches the road, on sattelite, i can see a trail going back up to the top and coming out by the boat launch area. is it there/open? can you ride across the dam at the back end of the white trail? it looks like you can.

You can't ride across the dam at the back of the white trail, they have a big fence blocking the trail on both sides of this strip. No choice but to take the road from the boat launch up to the RV Main entrance.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I knew that had to be you that we passed Sean. We passed going in opposite directions but for some reason it didn't look like you. Did you shave your beard or something? Anyway, by the time I figured out that the chances of another rider on a SS karate monkey was about 0.001%, I tried to call back but you were too far up the trail.

That was another guy on a KM. He picked it up for Gary last week & was suppose to hit RV this weekend with it. 2 ridgid Surly KM on the same day, what's the chances on that? No beard on him, very strong rider like Sean though.

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The ratty thing you saw was Kirt. He was trying the double.

Nope, I was at the Mooch.

I mentioned in some post my next weekend is shot. My wife would be pissed if I bailed on the daughters first birthday party. The following weekend I'm open but I need to start early. I can't fathom 32 miles and 7000 vertical to be honest with you.

She'll have a lot more, it's only her 1st.

It's only like 6000' & 25 miles.:confused: :drooling:

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Check out the loop that we did today.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2412391

Thanks for this post. i did this loop today, it was a nice change to the 'King of the Hill' loop I usually do. Trails are in good shape. Went to Chimney Rock yesterday and the trails there are a mess.
You are right, if you miss that last hard left at the end you end up under the power lines, which you can take back to the parking lot.

I do this loop if I'm a little short on time. Not that crazy about the RR back as it kinda kills the ride. You can also take the fire road back to the start of beer hill, that will shorten the loop & it's a little better than the road.

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know this ride is gonna be hella tough. This week should i take it a bit easier so im fresh for the weekend? I have been feeling good tho, so im not to sure. I really am lookin forward to doubling RV up. I WILL OWN YOU!

sorry bout that...i gotta bit excited.

No SS for the double? Come on you can do it.

Top Bottom