rollin on thin snow & ice

N

nopants

Almost cancelled presidents' day while stuck in traffic friday night / forcast for very cold temperatures left me in a moment of weakness / I left a message for my riding partner refering to a forcast of cold / he rang back - w/message that he "was committed to go" - "30 w/ sunshine - don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" / being a dylanut I had to show - I rang back "I was in" / met 9am New Paltz - starbucks triple esspresso's a couple laughs & off to the Trapps Bridge / didn't have to pay to park, ride or jockey for a space / stripped down & changed in lot then attempted to fill by water blader although the "zip lock" wouldn't seal, after several attempts decieded to listen to reason & just stick a bottle in my backpack before I was too wet to ride / once on the trail fingers were very cold (like experienced a week before at Cheesequake w/ lighter gloves) and worries that I may not be able to continue / stopped to view the 70' waterfall that was decorated with plenty of ice while I worked the blood & warmth back into my fingers / warmth came back as we climbed & climbed toward Lake Minawaska / partner took off helmet at the top to remove one of his hats - as his head steamed in the light (flame head) / we rode (3) hours with the frozen/crusty trail singing a icy song / there were patches of snow & ice along the ridge - easy enough to roll over or around / but it wasn't until down/along lake Awosing that our snow ice riding skills were tested / riding in truck ruts is a state of mind - must ride (somewhat)fast & with confidence to maintain the narrow balance / over patches of ice you must stay balanced / But if its really shiney stear clear // little did we know Minnowaska was closed to bicycles. Overall a fantastic ride /

N

njrider

Kingston

I was up that way Sat morning rode right into a snow storm on the NYS throughway as I hit kingston 9 am, on the way back new paltz was being hit aswell 10:30 am, at least you where enjoying the ride, ride ride ride.

Top Bottom