Roll Call - MCBP 5/2/15

Johnny Utah

I knew it... Once you go that direction, it really is hard to not.

Very true, my stress level dropped a million times since Saturday. Just a great feeling of going fast, flowing sections, jumping, being up in the hills, etc. Especially for me since I am a flatlander. It is really nice just to drive up and see elevation.

I do however plan on racing more fat bike events this winter, and the MS85 is less than two weeks away. If I complete it, it will be the longest distance I have ridden on a bike, but I bet it will be a cake walk compared to the pre-ride of the Marty's course I did with Jim.

Tonggi

Can't wait for Saturday!!! That new tempest line should be interesting. I will be heading there around 11ish. Picking my bike up from Lou at Pedal Montclair first after a rough first weekend.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How does this place work as far as trail traffic? Does everyone go whenever they want or is there somebody sending people one by one? Just wondering because I've been trying to go for a while, but I don't want the pressure of some fast guys behind me.

Jeb

Hey folks! Hope those of you who rode this past weekend had as good of a time as I did! Mighty dusty, but it just made the after-beers that much better.

Can't wait for Saturday!!! That new tempest line should be interesting. I will be heading there around 11ish. Picking my bike up from Lou at Pedal Montclair first after a rough first weekend.

Wait until you see the next round of Tempest photos :) Over the next few weeks, we plan to update that trail top to bottom as our schedule allows, but are aiming to have much of the second half improved by this weekend. Should be a hoot!

How does this place work as far as trail traffic? Does everyone go whenever they want or is there somebody sending people one by one? Just wondering because I've been trying to go for a while, but I don't want the pressure of some fast guys behind me.

Everyone goes as they please, but it's not a free-for-all. There are enough trails that it rarely feels packed, and the advanced riders mostly stick to the advanced trails that you'll probably want to avoid on your first day as it is. If an advanced rider comes up behind you and wants to pass, they might yell "Rider!" and wait for you to get off at a safe spot. Otherwise, they may hang back and cruise at your speed, maybe offer a riding tip. Most people remember their first few times and are happy to yield to newcomers or even show you around.

Johnny Utah

Getting a fast rider to cruise at the pace of the beginner is like being stuck behind some one doing fifty in the fast lane on the parkway, if you see someone hauling down the trail, it is best practice to move aside or wait for them to ride through.

Tonggi

Everyone is pretty chill (With a few exceptions) I'll be there Saturday as well and if you want to do a few runs we can def do a few laps.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone know if Creek has 24" bikes yet for rental?
I am pretty sure bikeutopia does but would like to take advantage of the bike rental/lift pass that Creek offers...

Johnny Utah

Does anyone know if Creek has 24" bikes yet for rental?
I am pretty sure bikeutopia does but would like to take advantage of the bike rental/lift pass that Creek offers...
Biketopia does, I would call creek. I did not see any junior bike rentals from creek last year.

Calling Jeb? Can you answer this one homie?

greeek32

If you don't go HARD AF they take your pass and beat you with it. :D

If you go up and are planning on doing DH runs all day make sure you rent a DH bike and full armor kit; it makes it way more fun, especially for the first time but you gotta come out of pocket a bit.

if want to use your trail bike and just try it out, they sell one-ride passes for like $8 or $2-4 with a JORBA membership. So buy a one-ride pass, take the lift to the top, ride the XC trails up there for a bit (they have some pretty good xc trails) and give the DH trails a go when you're ready to leave. If you hate it, you're out $2-8 and still got in a fun day of riding. If you love it, buy another 1 ride pass and give it another shot on the trail bike. It takes quite a few one-ride passes to equal a day pass (especially with the JORBA discount).

I know you live around the warwick area so Mtn Creek isn't far from you, i'll be going up in the next few weeks to ride some of the XC trails and do a DH run or two if you want to come along. Let me know and i'll figure out when i'm going.

Reactions: Jeb

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you don't go HARD AF they take your pass and beat you with it. :D

If you go up and are planning on doing DH runs all day make sure you rent a DH bike and full armor kit; it makes it way more fun, especially for the first time but you gotta come out of pocket a bit.

if want to use your trail bike and just try it out, they sell one-ride passes for like $8 or $2-4 with a JORBA membership. So buy a one-ride pass, take the lift to the top, ride the XC trails up there for a bit (they have some pretty good xc trails) and give the DH trails a go when you're ready to leave. If you hate it, you're out $2-8 and still got in a fun day of riding. If you love it, buy another 1 ride pass and give it another shot on the trail bike. It takes quite a few one-ride passes to equal a day pass (especially with the JORBA discount).

I know you live around the warwick area so Mtn Creek isn't far from you, i'll be going up in the next few weeks to ride some of the XC trails and do a DH run or two if you want to come along. Let me know and i'll figure out when i'm going.

I'm actually down to my SS hardtail at the moment, but I'll have to take you up on this offer as soon as I figure things out with the other bike. My work schedule isn't stable, but I've had Sundays off recently. I'll get with you as soon as I have something to ride!

greeek32

I go up a couple times a month all summer, sometimes once a week in july and august. Probably won't get there for another 3 weeks or so, so don't sweat it.

Jeb

Did you speak to somebody in the shop or just a random phone lackey? We had them last season, but maybe there is something I don't know... Worst case scenario, Jay at Ridetopia has 24" bikes

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lackey, and your site doesn't show any available. I thought you had them towards end of the season last year. I will call shop and reserve tomorrow...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok we are gonna be doing mother's day at creek
Couldn't convince my mom but our family will be doing runs. I am excited as I got my 11 year old daughter to give it a go. Yes creek has 24" bikes but again you need push operators. Jeb get that straighten out so we can get more kids on bikes.

Johnny Utah

Jeb is the man, spoke with him today, make sure to say hello and thank him for the solid work the crew has been putting in! Get over to tempest, the new trail work is unreal!!!!!

woof

Only hit Tempest once but it's super smooth now. Nice to hit the kicker onto the ski trail without dodging chicken heads.

Top Bottom