Rolhoff driveline.

serviceguy

The Alfine is cool but has a 300 wattish limit before it skips. I had one on my Pugsley that eventually became the town slut. Ask @UtahJoe about that hub 🤣🤣
Well, the Aldine was never on the radar really. Thanks for the input though.

This thread made realize how badly my brain is wired, I’ m salivating after a 14 speed driveline while the ride that I’ve enjoyed the most lately is a SS!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Well, the Aldine was never on the radar really. Thanks for the input though.

This thread made realize how badly my brain is wired, I’ m salivating after a 14 speed driveline while the ride that I’ve enjoyed the most lately is a SS!

Good. Forget all this internal nonsense. No good will come of it. Especially because you increase the number of cables over a normal derailleur and have to zip tie full housing to an otherwise great frame. Super ghetto. And it's heavy as a bag of rocks.

serviceguy

Good. Forget all this internal nonsense. No good will come of it. Especially because you increase the number of cables over a normal derailleur and have to zip tie full housing to an otherwise great frame. Super ghetto. And it's heavy as a bag of rocks.
I can’t do that, my brain is wired wrong, remember?

I don’t do zip ties (not around tubes). I had to resort to stick-on clips when the El Mar was geared, but didn’t really liked it. I also don’t like geared frame converted to SS because the unused clip tabs (brain wiring explanation above still applies). Search for a geared frame is still on.

Weight is more of a concern though, in spite of my own over weight putting to shame any weight reduction coming from the equipment, the SS is still more enjoyable. Except when I hit a wall (figuratively and literally speaking).

Whatever failure I embark on will be widely documented though.

Karate Monkey

serviceguy

Nah, I’ve already used the 1 cable tab under the top tube with 3 cables and had no issues and it looked neat and tidy (rear brake, dropper and derailleur), now I run 2 on it since I went SS on this frame. I always ditch the plastic clips for small zip ties anyway. The other plus of the Norse driveline is that you can have the shifter mechanism on either side, hence reusing the provision for the ordinal rear derailleur and possibly the one in place for the front one ( if there’s no issue with different length hoses, as there shouldn’t my be any). It’s name though...

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I think you need once again to be a trailblazer and buy one (I am thinking aero carbon fat bike wheels type of trailblazer).

can you count the number of holes in the fat cage for me - i couldn't find it in the spec.
then i could have it laced to a nextie and let the tri spoke go. after i run it with the aero bars.

Karate Monkey

thats all the power it can handle? ouch

Let's be serious. Shimano designed it as a high-end city-bike hub. They were never shy about saying that it shouldn't be used for a mountain bike/performance road bike. Most IGHs are not made with that kind of torque in mind, even when used on cargo vehicles where you are moving heavy 400+ pound loads. You'd have to try awfully hard to get more than a couple hundred pounds of torque into a cargo trike, for instance. The 11 is a weird hub, anyway, since it doesn't actually have a direct drive gear in it (NB: it actually drives the hubshell with rollers, not pawls, which is how they got the coasting drag so low).

That said, constant and peak torque are two different things. If you aren't capable of making your 9t skip on command, I wouldn't worry about it ;)

All that said, the warranty rate on their 8/11 speed hubs is next to zero outside of seal failure/operator error (I'm including bad setup here). If a hub fails QC, it goes back through the line to be fixed, rather than thrown out. I'm told by the internal (hah) people that the IGH division is the reward for the engineers working there for a long time.

one piece crank

@Karate Monkey I think you may have to take that test ride, no need to lace the wheel though...thank you @one piece crank the sequential hydro shifter is a big selling point, and it’s cheaper to. Too bad I have a Rolhoff alternator plate already in the mail...
My honest opinion (not that you care), forget the Rohloff. I mean, if this was 1995 and you like to ride to the Princeton Library in khakis with rubber bands on your pant legs, go for it. But 2020 sucked, and it’s going on 2021! Time to shred!

If I could find more time ride I’d be Kindernay all the way. But I appear to be revisiting SS land...

serviceguy

My honest opinion (not that you care), forget the Rohloff. I mean, if this was 1995 and you like to ride to the Princeton Library in khakis with rubber bands on your pant legs, go for it. But 2020 sucked, and it’s going on 2021! Time to shred!

If I could find more time ride I’d be Kindernay all the way. But I appear to be revisiting SS land...
I'm always been tempted more by the metal clip for my khakis, much neater than the elastic band...

Top Bottom