Rolhoff driveline.

serviceguy

I tried to bait to the subject in my delusional search for a 2016 red el mar thread, but got not bites. So here it is, a new ‘no-traction-generated’ thread by yours truly, if it’s freaky, irrational, non sensual or just plain wrong you know I dig it!

I contacted Rolhoff for further details on their product, more specificallly interchangeability of the axle system. On paper seems like a great product, but not having any direct experience on the subject I though I would fall back to the infinite knowledge base of MTBNJ.com hoping the Thanksgivingcspirit is still lingering out there.

I am envisioning a white SS El Mar, stock front red hub, rear red Rolhoff 14 speed hub, 35mm internal width rims with and 2.4wt rekons, carbon bars and cranks, dropper post and light front suspension. This thread would be more about the Rolhoff specifically and not the eventual build.

Also interested in knowing if there’s any alternative channel to purchase these hubs, looking at anywhere from $1.3k to $1.6l 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

Karate Monkey

If it's dependable? Yes.

If it's expensive? Also yes.

Since Rohloff doesn't want you opening up their hub, maintenance by yourself can be challenging. No internal spares are easily available.

Used hubs are a crapshoot, it can be perfect, or abused, and you have no way of knowing, other than what the person is asking. Either way, you can send it to Rohloff/Cyclemonkey? [USA] to have it opened/checked out mechanically if it doesn't work right after an oil change.

From a practical standpoint, it's not possible to shear the drive pins (nylon safety pins to protect the transmission) under normal circumstances. Stump-pulling gearing could do it, theoretically, but you have to go LOW with lots of torque to do that. I believe the 'suggested' low input is something equivalent to 22x32. You also either need to love gripshift, or spend $$$ for a double paddle setup.

serviceguy

You also either need to love gripshift, or spend $$$ for a double paddle setup.
Thanks for the feedback. And that could be quite the obstacle for me to jump on the band wagon.

Since you seem knowledgeable on the matter, are you aware if you can switch the equivalent of the endcaps to turn a 135 QR (CC/OEM) into a 12x142 (A12) hub? That's pretty much what I asked customer support about, given the amount of money you need to spend to get one of these I would expect some investment protection once you switch to a different axle platform. Is no like 12x142 or 12x148 have been out just a few weeks...

Karate Monkey

It's been several years. As far as I'm aware, it's an internals swap, since the axle/sleeve are part of the transmission. The new hubs/old hubs are different, though.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is there any reason you want to go internal geared hub outside it being different?

Derailleur based shifting is pretty awesome. Just throwing that out there. :)

If you want internally geared, perhaps something like an Alfine system from Shimano?

Karate Monkey

I used an Alfine for several years--it's interesting in it's own right, as far as compared to the Rohloff, but it still has issues; the biggest one being that when the lowest minimum gear input (~.69?) is exceeded, you can easily damage the shifting mechanism.

When you shift, the mechanism holds on to the gear you are in until enough pressure is removed from the pedals, then the shift selector slips away/any other selections are completed. When the minimum input is exceeded, the pawls that do the shifting can't take the torque, and they begin to chip/crack, which for obvious reasons inside a tightly packed transmission is A Very Bad Thing (tm).

Ostensibly, the mechanism itself can take the torque (flat cut/helical drive), but you have to not pedal at all until the shift is completed. It takes less time than a derailleur to shift, but the problem is retraining your brain to not pedal could be an expensive mistake, if you are searching for a really low gear that most MTBers are.

serviceguy

Is there any reason you want to go internal geared hub outside it being different?

Derailleur based shifting is pretty awesome. Just throwing that out there. :)

If you want internally geared, perhaps something like an Alfine system from Shimano?
I’m a sucker for weird stuff, plus this specific one seems to work so here I am.

i should ride more, I know.

serviceguy

When you shift, the mechanism holds on to the gear you are in until enough pressure is removed from the pedals, then the shift selector slips away/any other selections are completed. When the minimum input is exceeded, the pawls that do the shifting can't take the torque, and they begin to chip/crack, which for obvious reasons inside a tightly packed transmission is A Very Bad Thing (tm).

Ostensibly, the mechanism itself can take the torque (flat cut/helical drive), but you have to not pedal at all until the shift is completed. It takes less time than a derailleur to shift, but the problem is retraining your brain to not pedal could be an expensive mistake, if you are searching for a really low gear that most MTBers are.
Doesn’t sound like it would work for technical trails at all. One of the claim of Rolhoff is that it shifts under load so I’m assuming you’re describing the Alfine driviline specifically?

rick81721

Lothar
I’m a sucker for weird stuff, plus this specific one seems to work so here I am.

i should ride more, I know.

I have no idea what you are trying to do or why. It would be interesting to see the time riding to time fiddling with bikes ratio for some of you guys. Is it 5:1? 2:1? 1:2?? Mine is like 100:1, and that includes cleaning!

one piece crank

I built an Alfine wheel for a friend that wanted something different. He loves it and has been riding it for 10 years. This got me looking into IGH’s but I never found the durability I was after (see Karate Monkey above).

There is one solution to your quest, it’s called Kindernay.

Karate Monkey

Doesn’t sound like it would work for technical trails at all. One of the claim of Rolhoff is that it shifts under load so I’m assuming you’re describing the Alfine driviline specifically?

Yes, Alfine specifically. I mean, the actual physical function of the gear selection is pretty much the same, but how they get there is different.

serviceguy

I have no idea what you are trying to do or why. It would be interesting to see the time riding to time fiddling with bikes ratio for some of you guys. Is it 5:1? 2:1? 1:2?? Mine is like 100:1, and that includes cleaning!
There’s no doubt I like tinkering with bikes more than riding them. I don’t even think a ratio can be effectively calculated when the denominator is that close to 0 ♾️

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I built an Alfine wheel for a friend that wanted something different. He loves it and has been riding it for 10 years. This got me looking into IGH’s but I never found the durability I was after (see Karate Monkey above).

oooh! sequential paddle shifting. Formula 1 stuff!

and a fatbike version!

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

I've been watching this closely (well, maybe not the last few months...), but haven't heard any long-ish term impressions about it.

@serviceguy if you wind up with a Kindernay, I'll lace it for free. Fee is riding it around the block a few times.

serviceguy

I've been watching this closely (well, maybe not the last few months...), but haven't heard any long-ish term impressions about it.

@serviceguy if you wind up with a Kindernay, I'll lace it for free. Fee is riding it around the block a few times.
I’m usually more for the true and tested product, unless there was a huge price difference. Thanks for the offer but lacing wheels is what I usually do for relaxation. You can true them for me though...

Ah, sure your piano tuning skills come handy with building wheels!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I’m usually more for the true and tested product, unless there was a huge price difference. Thanks for the offer but lacing wheels is what I usually do for relaxation. You can true them for me though...

Ah, sure your piano tuning skills come handy with building wheels!

I'll send you my stuff to lace up thanks byeeee

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Alfine is cool but has a 300 wattish limit before it skips. I had one on my Pugsley that eventually became the town slut. Ask @UtahJoe about that hub 🤣🤣

Top Bottom