Rogue Trail Shutdown

Apache1

There’s a rogue trail that we’ll be closing as it was not approved nor built by JORBA.

It goes right through the very dangerous Black Hills Mine.

Prior to building this trail network we consulted with the Historical Society as to what areas we should stay away from as they had all the maps of mines, shafts, adits, subsidences and the like.

This rogue trail is not only dangerous but it also can compromise our access to the park.

So instead of building new singletrack we’ll now have to devote our resources to closing this one first.

If you feel the need to build trails/features – come to one of our trail building sessions or PM me and we can discuss it.

Kaleidopete

From the book Iron Mine Trails from NYNJTC

Dsc06410.jpg

Apache1

OSHA wasn't around for those miners working in the cut held up by timbers!
Hit me up when your down this way Pete and I give you a combo. MTB/historical tour.
I also need to order a couple kaleidoscopes from you towards the holidays :)

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There’s a rogue trail that we’ll be closing as it was not approved nor built by JORBA.

It goes right through the very dangerous Black Hills Mine.

Prior to building this trail network we consulted with the Historical Society as to what areas we should stay away from as they had all the maps of mines, shafts, adits, subsidences and the like.

This rogue trail is not only dangerous but it also can compromise our access to the park.

So instead of building new singletrack we’ll now have to devote our resources to closing this one first.

If you feel the need to build trails/features – come to one of our trail building sessions or PM me and we can discuss it.
is this one called "monkey trail" ?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
has any effort been made to close this yet? Was very open and obvious on my ride today.

kaitlyn

Not gonna lie, I have no idea what is jorba sanctioned or not. What is the trail that we are not supposed to use?

ebarker9

My guess is that it's a section of trail off of white if you were heading from the industrial park lot area where white and yellow meet and heading across to the top of blue. But that's a guess.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Not gonna lie, I have no idea what is jorba sanctioned or not. What is the trail that we are not supposed to use?
The blazed trails are built by JORBA and approved by the land manager. You can ride whatever you like, but we are asking folks not to build without permission from the land manager. JORBA doesn't sanction trails, we build them with approval.

I'm not sure if the trail in question has been closed, but I am certain that the mayor and other town officials are super upset about this one. @Apache1 any updates?

Apache1

JORBA has been doing our best to hold off the town from closing down the rouge trail with backhoes and prosecuting the person who built it. The town wishes to charge that person with vandalism to public property amongst other possible charges.

JORBA suggested to the town - if we could convince the person who built it to permanently close it or if it was magically closed before 9/15/21 – we could all (cycling community) move on and learn from this.

JORBA didn’t want to close the rogue trail in the interim as we are feverously working on completing the Marty Memorial Trail and don’t want to put those resources to closing a rouge trail instead of building precious new single track.

Riding here is a privilege – not a right. The town has been a great partner over the last 13 years since JORBA started the trail network from scratch. Where else do you find new single track constantly being built (we have 4 more trails in the hopper) and being allowed to ride at night. This can all come to an end because of one-person(s) selfishness.

This property was heavily mined and can be dangerous if you don’t know what is underground. We work with the town and the historical society to stay away from said areas. Stay on blazed trails as Ken has mentioned.

If you want to build trails or features – please come talk to JORBA as we’d love to have you. We hope we’ll still have a place to build and ride.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
ugh, i hate when "the man" comes in to close down a rogue trail with machines. They always do more damage than the original rogue trail did. I understand why they have to close it, but machines are just overkill. 9/15 is quickly approaching - is anyone organizing anything to close the trail? I would come help.

ebarker9

I'm assuming that nobody is reporting which trail this is so that it doesn't get more attention/use? I am still wondering which one it is (I can think of a few sections that I don't think are blazed that seem to be part of the standard trail network), so that I can be sure to avoid it.

mtn

Want me to come by and turn it back into nature? I’m not going to plant new trees, but it’ll be hardly noticeable. I have a knack for doing it.

mtn

A t
Want me to come by and turn it back into nature? I’m not going to plant new trees, but it’ll be hardly noticeable. I have a knack for doing it.
Someone @Jorba please send me the trail marked on a map or a descriptor.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
It is done. @mtn and I spent a couple hours blocking and renaturalizing this afternoon. The builder(s) will need to be really determined to reopen it. We may have gotten a bit overzealous and closed a seperate legacy trail but it wasn't marked so back to nature it went.

kaitlyn

Were any of these trails the quick leg that is on the right side of the doublewide leading to the parking lot when heading downhill (Ferromonte). It's not on trailforks.
Honestly, this thread has been really vague.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions