Rocky Mountain Element Ladies Only

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Hello ladies, I'm thinking about getting the 2007 Rocky Mountain Element Ladies Only bike for my wife. I was wondering if anyone out there has or has experience with that bike and what your opinions are. Thanks in advance.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Rocky Mountain makes great bikes. I used to ride a vertex, but never tried an element. I think Kerrybelle rides one, but not sure if it women's geometry.

Will your wife benefit from women's geometry? If not she may get more of a bike from the regular bikes. Generally women's line will have an XS size plus lower standover, a shorter top tube, shorter stem and a slightly slacker head angle to accomodate the shorter TT.

Good luck, and hope to see her out on trails soon.

kerrybelle

Yup, I got one....

but, Pixy's right, it is not womens geometry. I love my bike, no question about it. I have an 2005 Element 70 size in 18", which has been fully pimped out! I'd be more than happy to let you wife try mine, depending on her size of course. My husband has the RM etsx. They are great bikes. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Kerry

tonyride

Thanks for the responses ladies. My wife currently rides a Norco with a 15" frame so I think size is not the issue. I just wanted to know how the bike, or the Element line, is in general.

An 18" frame bike would definitely be too big for her but thanks for the offer.

Last edited:

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I rode an element for years. I loved it. It's a very rider friendly bike and real capable. The bike has changed a little from mine. Now its a full 4 inch design and bearings at all the pivots. You also get the carbon fiber seatstays which stiffens it up. I rode the new ones at Interbike this year and it was a fun time. It reminded me how much I miss my old Rocky.

We are a Rocky dealer, so I just checked 07 stock for you. As of right now, the only size available in womens for 07 is a 16.5. If you are looking for another size, I would suggest calling around to other dealers in the area to see if they have it in stock. The 08 are mostly in stock. Some of the models won't make it till April.

tonyride

I rode an element for years. I loved it. It's a very rider friendly bike and real capable. The bike has changed a little from mine. Now its a full 4 inch design and bearings at all the pivots. You also get the carbon fiber seatstays which stiffens it up. I rode the new ones at Interbike this year and it was a fun time. It reminded me how much I miss my old Rocky.

We are a Rocky dealer, so I just checked 07 stock for you. As of right now, the only size available in womens for 07 is a 16.5. If you are looking for another size, I would suggest calling around to other dealers in the area to see if they have it in stock. The 08 are mostly in stock. Some of the models won't make it till April.

Thanks for the info. I think the 16.5" frame will fit my wife just fine. She is 5'6" and is currenty riding a Norco with a 15.5" frame and that is a bit too small for her.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but instead of making another one I thought it would be better.

Ladies, is there really a need for the "ladies" geometry? Reading pixy's post, it looks like small things that can be adapted to a men's frame, other than the standover height. My gf is 5'6ish, so I'm sure she wouldn't have much of a problem on a mens frame. I have been eyeing some starter bikes for my GF, but I can only really find one ladies bike for my price range that's decent.

kerrybelle

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but instead of making another one I thought it would be better.

Ladies, is there really a need for the "ladies" geometry? Reading pixy's post, it looks like small things that can be adapted to a men's frame, other than the standover height. My gf is 5'6ish, so I'm sure she wouldn't have much of a problem on a mens frame. I have been eyeing some starter bikes for my GF, but I can only really find one ladies bike for my price range that's decent.

It really depends on the specific bike and your girlfriends frame (torso, inseam, length of arms....etc) It's best to try different bikes and see what works for her. Mtn bikes are a bit more forgiving, in sizing, than road bikes. I'm sure someone else can elaborate more on this.

mwlikesbikes

Sorry to butt in too, but i rode 98 Element T.O. till i got my Titus. Loved the bike (still have the frame) i beat the snot out of it and it always came back for more. I only stopped riding it cuz i wanted discs and 98 was the last year the bike didn't have disc tabs on it. I'm sure the new one is even better. ;)

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep

Standover height and toptube length are typically reasons why one would opt for a women's frame. 5'5ish and under generally fit better on women's frames. T

here is an advantage in buying complete womens bikes over mens for sure. There are a lot of subtle differences. Sometimes the womens bikes have shorter cranks, custom valved shocks, narrower handlebars, smaller grips, women's saddles, short reach brake levers, etc.

Most manufucturers at this point make womens specific bikes. Gary Fisher has two HiFi GS' and two womens hardtails. Trek has two Fuel Ex wsds, a Top Fuel wsds, and four hardtails. Rocky has the element Ladies. Santa Cruz has the Julianna. Giant has the Anthem women's, the Cypher, and threehardtails.

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Rocky Mountain Element

As a matter of fact, the 2007 Element is completely redesigned. This was one of the biggest and most highly anticipated redesigns in Rocky's recent history. The new Element features a completely redesigned front triangle with FORM tubing technology and sheds a quater pound from past designs in the main frame alone. All pivot locations received significantly larger bearings and ridiculously machined mounting yokes. Also the carbon rear seatstay comes on the 30 and higher levels of this bike. Also, sticking to racer's request the top tube lengths have been increased on all Elements for 07 and 08. The linkage plates have been optimized to allow for a longer shock improved leverage ratio and oh so sweet plushness. The rear swingarm has also received major refinements and the new RMB dropouts are awesome!! We have a Element 30 in 15" (Baby Blue) and an Element 30 in 19" (Shadow). And for what it's worth, this bike won Mountain Bike Magazine's 2007 XC bike of the year.:D

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/element/index.aspx

Last edited:

tonyride

Actually you can't equate with a man's height and his bike size to a woman with the same height to find her bike size. My wife is 5'6" and she currently rides on a 15" frame and that is perfect for her. I'm not much taller than she is and I have two 17" frame bikes and an 18" and they're all much too big for her. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get her the 2007 Element Ladies Only with the 15" frame.

tonyride

As a matter of fact, the 2007 Element is completely redesigned. This was one of the biggest and most highly anticipated redesigns in Rocky's recent history. The new Element features a completely redesigned front triangle with FORM tubing technology and sheds a quater pound from past designs in the main frame alone. All pivot locations received significantly larger bearings and ridiculously machined mounting yokes. Also the carbon rear seatstay comes on the 30 and higher levels of this bike. Also, sticking to racer's request the top tube lengths have been increased on all Elements for 07 and 08. The linkage plates have been optimized to allow for a longer shock improved leverage ratio and oh so sweet plushness. The rear swingarm has also received major refinements and the new RMB dropouts are awesome!! We have a Element 30 in 15" (Baby Blue) and an Element 30 in 19" (Shadow). And for what it's worth, this bike won Mountain Bike Magazine's 2007 XC bike of the year.:D

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/element/index.aspx

Thanks for that info. You've just convinced me to get that bike for her. It will be my Valentine's present to her.

tonyride

oh, really cool valentine's present!!
Yeah, her Norco Java is getting old. When we went to Kingdom Trails last summer everyone had Full Suspension bikes except her and she was having a tough time keeping up with the other girls so I figured it's time. As much as she loves her Norco, she agreed it is time to upgrade. Too bad I couldn't make the present a surprise because I had to pass it by her first to make sure she likes the bike.

tonyride

Well, my wife got her Element Ladies Only. Now we're just waiting for the snow to melt and the trails to dry so we can get it dirty :D

tonyride

She only just sat on it and felt that she was sitting too straight up compared to her Norco. I said I could get a longer stem but I don't think she needs it. I think she's been too low in the on her old bike so she just thinks she is supposed to be down that low. Also being so stretched out she was having a difficult time getting off her seat and lean back during steep downhills. We'll know once we get out there and try it out.

Top Bottom