Road tubeless worth it?

jpn

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I'm getting a new wheelset for my road bike (2011 Surly Pacer). I'm 6 ft 200 lbs and usually do 15-20 mile rides 4-5 times a week March thru November on my roadbike. I'm a masher not a spinner.

This will be a tubeless ready wheelset.

I usually run gatorskins 28c.

Looking at tubeless ready tires, they all are $15-$25 more per tire than a gatorskin.

Just wondering if the extra expense and set up is worth it and if so, what tire recs people might have.

I've been tubeless for years on my mtb (gorilla tape and usually specialized or maxims tires. Currently running Ardent 2.4 up front and Specialized Butcher 2.3 in back)

I figure a tube is about 100g, but at my weight and bike setup saving 200g, even though it's rotating weight, doesn't get me too excited.

Thanks!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I love it. I haven't flatted a tubeless tire on the road in 4+ years. I don't worry about running over gravel or that stuff on the shoulder. The weight penalty is worth the durability gained. Setup is not a PITA either.

Two wraps of stans tape, stans valves, your favorite sealant, compresser go boom pop pop and you off and rolling.

200.gif

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just converted to tubeless on my roadie can confirm no hassle at all, haven't had a chance to ridenitnyet tho, also only did one wrap of stans tape.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Just converted to tubeless on my roadie can confirm no hassle at all, haven't had a chance to ridenitnyet tho, also only did one wrap of stans tape.
I've always done two with the higher pressure, also helps the bead slide into the rim easier, or something.

I've had great success with H Plus Son Achetype wheels, even though they arent considered tubeless ready, more tubeless friendly

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Road tubeless is tricky. Tires make all the difference in the world. I flatted for a tear running Schwalbe Pro Ones and Specialized turbo rapidairs, couldn’t get the maxxis tubeless tires to seat at all. I am on my second set of Continental gp500 tls and love them. My local ride buddies all run them too with no issues. They are fast too. The shore, especially sandy hook is a great place to root out the crap tires. Between seashells bits, wires and pot holes only the strong survive. One orher option which is even lighter is running tubolito tubes. They are way more flat resistant than standard tubes and super light.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
You will likely get fewer flats W/tubeless, but when you do they can be a pain.

I'm riding the 700x30 Vittoria Corsa TLE and I really like the ride quality. I've been running them around 65psi. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was riding 140 psi with Vredestein tires.

I'd carry a dynaplug or Stan's Dart with you on the road.

thegock

3-4,000+/- miles on the CAAD10 Black with Light Bicycle carbone rims built by Jim, on my various tubeless tires b4 my first flat. On a supported ride with the fam, luckily. SAG rolled up as I was calling them after 18 minute inept repair effort exacerbated by a different shop employee error.

190.6 this morning running 25mm @90 lbs.

Feel is tight to the road and light
IMG_20180121_113727-02.jpeg

mwlikesbikes

Do it. I’m running conti gp5000 tl 25c on light bicycle rims for the last year on my road bike I weigh about 215 these days and run them at 90 psi. Gravel bike has Stan’s grail rims with 32c schwalbe g-one tires at 60psi.

Hakimaki

Also running Conti GP5000TL on the road, fantastic. It's nice hearing a puncture seal up 20 miles away from home and you still have enough pressure to make it home.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
3-4,000+/- miles on the CAAD10 Black with Light Bicycle carbone rims built by Jim, on my various tubeless tires b4 my first flat. On a supported ride with the fam, luckily. SAG rolled up as I was calling them after 18 minute inept repair effort exacerbated by a different shop employee error.

190.6 this morning running 25mm @90 lbs.

Feel is tight to the road and lightView attachment 146283.

you are just pissing me off now. 190?
i'm sending you a 5 gal ice cream bucket...

well done you jerk. ;)

Top Bottom