Road tubeless, still suck?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’m thinking about a getting a new road (or groad) bike, with plans to be riding 28c most of the time. In my past experience, tubeless over 50 psi didn’t fare well.

Has it gotten better? I’m wondering how much stock I should put into getting tubeless wheels.

Last edited:

rlb

I've been running 28s at 40/45 psi with no issues in the little while I've been doing it. However I may be in the minority at those pressures.

ebarker9

Not sure when you last tried it, but road tubeless has gotten a lot better in the last 2-3 years. I've been running Schwalbe Pro Ones at 30c at much lower pressures than I was used to with 25c/28c tubed (roughly mid 60s and I'm ~160lb). Zero punctures, much more comfortable, more grip, and depending on a giant list of variables, it's likely faster rolling as well.

Any suggestion of "groad" and I'd definitely be looking at tubeless. Also worth checking out the Silca calculator for pressures:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Started using road tubeless in like 2013 or 2014 on road bike, with something like 25c tyres. 3 flats in about 5 years. One was a pothole that destroyed the rim, so tube wouldn't have mattered at all. The other two just needed a little CO2 and to let the Stan's pool for 15-30 seconds near the puncture, then back on the road. Been using tubeless gravel tyres on the CX bike now for about 6 years with zero fucks given. Go for it.

Robson

I'm running tubeless with Schwalbe Pro One on 28mm ENVE carbon wheels. 30 PSI max. Only one flat over last 3 years and easily fixed with tubeless tire repair kit. Something you should always have.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Conti 5000 tubeless and schwalbe pro ones. Silca or orange seal on control clx wheels. 25/28/30mm no problems last 4 years. One sidewall puncture at hoh but a dart worked. I never run more than 70psi at 200lbs

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run 75-80psi on vittoria corsa tubeless 28s. Pretty awesome.

Hair Face

30psi max on 28s? Geez that seems low
Had me thinking too. I've never tried going anywhere near that low.....

I've tried gp5000 tl's and pro one's with no issue outside of the gp5000's are a pita to mount. Been running pro one 28s at 60-65 most recently and wouldn't even think of running tubes again.

Jmann

Thanks guys. I remember the early days of road tubeless and seeing tires blowing off rims. And the talk around this years roubaix reminded me of it further. Good to know it’s worth it.

ebarker9

Nope. ENVE states 40PSI max. Sometimes I feel like 30 PSI too much. 27 is about perfect. But I'm skinny around 170 lb. so that helps.

I know that I saw 28mm and 30psi and thought it was nuts, but if it's a 28mm rim and 47-55mm tire, that makes sense:

Jmann

I know that I saw 28mm and 30psi and thought it was nuts, but if it's a 28mm rim and 47-55mm tire, that makes sense:

Ooooh, yeah. I read that too quick. I was thinking 28mm tires not rims.

ekuhn

Im hefty and I ran road tubeless before switching to my Zipp 404s which weren't compatible. Fuckin send it. I've had my best luck with Hutchinson Fusions

ebarker9

ENVE SES 3.4 AR inner inner width 25mm, tire size 27-31mm, rider weight 170lb. no more than 43 PSI

Hmm, not seeing that on the ENVE site, although I have no personal experience with these rims.

Max pressure: "SES AR = 80 psi (27-29 mm Tire), 67 psi (>30 mm Tire)"

Based on that rider weight, rim width, and tire size, recommended pressure is 56psi.

Robson

Hmm, not seeing that on the ENVE site, although I have no personal experience with these rims.

Max pressure: "SES AR = 80 psi (27-29 mm Tire), 67 psi (>30 mm Tire)"

Based on that rider weight, rim width, and tire size, recommended pressure is 56psi.
OK, but I would never ride max preasure.

Top Bottom