Road Tubeless Lessons Learned

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So seems like there are some big tubeless fans here, I tried going tubeless at the end of may, got a tiny puncture in the front tire less then 2 weeks later, sealant wouldn't close it... then about 6 weeks later mysteriously there was a small cut on the sidewall, the sealant held for one ride, but not for the next, so needless to say I am am less then convinced.
Been rocking tubeless on the MTB for while now with 0 issues, but think I am going back to tubes on the roadie.
What tires/sealant/PSI?

choop

I have 750 or so miles on the Conti GP5000 tubeless this summer and they have been pretty good so far. Not cheap, but seem to be more durable than the Pro One's

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Been running sectors tubeless on my mr pink, really unimpressed and got a pin hole just below the tread on the sidewall and stand wouldn’t seal. Anyone want to buy some sectors?

Trying 5000TL next.

Last edited:

ekuhn

Since my initial post, I've had good success with the Hutchinson Fusion 5's.

Now I don't ride as much as @stb222 so take that what its worth.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Since my initial post, I've had good success with the Hutchinson Fusion 5's.

Now I don't ride as much as @stb222 so take that what its worth.
My issue with road tubeless, on Hutchinson Intensives, was that you got to 2000 miles and the tires looked like swiss cheese and would no longer hold air. Sure you can put a tube in it and run it to the threads, but then you have a tire with a thick sidewall plus a tube, so it kinda ride like crap.

The Kalmyk

The first gen Hutchinson's did wear quickly. I had it set up complete UST (tire and rim), which was the selling point at that time.

Here we are today and I am going to try to hook up a non UST tire to a UST rim. Considering the tire not being UST, can I set it up without tape and sealant? Or is that only designated for UST tires?

This is what I am working with...

Wheels- Mavic Crossmax SL
Tires- Schwalbe G-One 38c (TLE- Tubeless Easy) @MadisonDan :thumbsup:

Thank you community

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The first gen Hutchinson's did wear quickly. I had it set up complete UST (tire and rim), which was the selling point at that time.

Here we are today and I am going to try to hook up a non UST tire to a UST rim. Considering the tire not being UST, can I set it up without tape and sealant? Or is that only designated for UST tires?

This is what I am working with...

Wheels- Mavic Crossmax SL
Tires- Schwalbe G-One 38c

Thank you community
The G-One come in the TLE (Tubeless easy) version. not the ones you have?

The Kalmyk

No tire lever or sealant. Schwalbe tubeless ready tire on Mavic UST rim. I had both tires on and hand pumped in under a few minutes. They’ve held air since I put them on few days ago.

So if you’re using UST ready rims on the road and looking for a lighter option than a UST tire, Schwalbe May be an option for you.

ebineezer

Has anyone set up a ghetto tubeless on the road bike? Im sure it would be a bit risky, but I’m curious if it’s been done.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Has anyone set up a ghetto tubeless on the road bike? Im sure it would be a bit risky, but I’m curious if it’s been done.
That would be dangerous, the higher pressure of road tires makes them more likely to blow off a rim. Ghetto tubeless can work on mtb because of the low pressures. Even the first round of tubeless ready road and cross rims had hiccups.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Been running sectors tubeless on my mr pink, really unimpressed and got a pin hole just below the tread on the sidewall and stand wouldn’t seal. Anyone want to buy some sectors?

Trying 5000TL next.

Did you try the 5000TLs? I need new tires and I can't decide between Sectors or the GP5000TLs. Gonna run tubeless, of course.

choop

Did you try the 5000TLs? I need new tires and I can't decide between Sectors or the GP5000TLs. Gonna run tubeless, of course.

I have probably close to 1200 miles on the 5k TL's and they have been great. Roll well and pretty durable. I don't think they don't have a nick in them.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I have probably close to 1200 miles on the 5k TL's and they have been great. Roll well and pretty durable. I don't think they don't have a nick in them.

My bike came with Mavic tires and after only 847 miles the rear has 3 holes and there are several shallower cuts in the casing. I'm not willing to risk it any more.

It's great to hear the GP5000s are working out for you. What wheels are you running? I have Mavic Aksium UST wheels and online reviews indicate the fit of the GP5000s on Mavic wheels is very, very tight.

The Kalmyk

My bike came with Mavic tires and after only 847 miles the rear has 3 holes and there are several shallower cuts in the casing. I'm not willing to risk it any more.

It's great to hear the GP5000s are working out for you. What wheels are you running? I have Mavic Aksium UST wheels and online reviews indicate the fit of the GP5000s on Mavic wheels is very, very tight.

Schwalbe has a very similar shaped bead as UST Tires. They hook well to Mavic Rims.

Reactions: Tim

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
We just got the new pro ones in today in all the common sizes. They put a lot of energy into this revision.

They now use the ust standard that Mavic pioneered.

Be carful with conti as they will blow off any hookless rim.

J

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
We just got the new pro ones in today in all the common sizes. They put a lot of energy into this revision.

They now use the ust standard that Mavic pioneered.

Be carful with conti as they will blow off any hookless rim.

J
My buddy loves the new pro 1s on gravel too. I hated the old ones.

Top Bottom