Road Tires

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Lately, I've been eating through them like they were brownies.

The Specialized Roubaix tires that were stock on my bike were nice, smooth, shock absorbing and picked up crap like crazy till they were speckled with embedded grains of sand/gravel. Late April, I replaced one of those because of a slice in the tread and just 2 months later, on the new tire, I got a nasty cluster puncture that caused the 'tread' to bulge to the outside. Time to replace.

Since I was heading into a huge multi-day tour in July, and not wanting to chance more issues with these tires, I upgraded and put on a set of Specialized Mondo's. I like them. Good grip, takes on less road stuff. 6 weeks and 800 miles later, a piece of glass basically took a chunk out of my tire and left a nice long gap in it. Ka-ching!! another $60. Replaced that.

Yesterday, after a long, heated tour this weekend, I went out to a flat tire. I did the "Tire Change Demonstration" for the Monday a.m. Lady's ride I lead, removed the shard of granite that had penetrated and proceeded to the "Don't Ever Do This" lesson...(I had pinched the tube and it blew right off the rim while while I was pumping it.) KA-BOOM!! Awake now, Ladies?:D Another tube and off we rolled. 6 miles in, a decisive hiss, another flat, another gap that now has half of my insurance card lining inside the tire to protect the tube(Blue Cross isn't good for much else anyway).

Now, I put on a LOT of miles. I don't hug the curb or ride through crud I can avoid. I remove embedded stuff between rides. I reach down and glove-sweep the tread while riding when I know I've picked up stuff. I do realize that road hazards are road hazards and this stuff happens, but 5 tires since April? This is getting crazy.

Anybody have experience with or suggestions for a good, high performance tire that is a tad more crud resistant without adding a bunch of weight? Or should I just suck it up and expect to replace my tires every few weeks?

BiknBen

I've been a long-time Continental rider so take my biased opinion for what it is worth. When I do long, touring-distance type events, I've got Conti 4-Season tires on my rims. The compound of a racing tire with an added layer of protection. I literally run them to the threads and then replace. Occasional flat? Of course...but these are my tire of choice for training/general riding.

I'm also a proponent of running 25c tires if available in your choice of tire. Better comfort and durability.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
+1 for the 4-seasons...there is no way you should have to replace your tires every few weeks.

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
+2 for the 4-seasons. I took Ben's advice to run 25c under my clyde butt and they've been bullet proof so far.

They probably have 4-500 miles on 'em and the excess rubber from the mold going down the middle of the front tire is just now starting to wear off.

They ride nice, do well in the wet, roll nice, are durable...no complaints.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where'd you guys get the Conti 4 Seasons? Cheapest options?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Where'd you guys get the Conti 4 Seasons? Cheapest options?

Yeah, that reminds me, they're not cheap tires.

I got my from FlyBikeShop on Fleabay for 84.50 a pair shipped. They don't have anything up there now and their price on their "regular" site is $55 each...no deal.

Sniffin' around, there aren't too many deals to be had on these tires :( BikeTiresDirect.com has 'em for $96/pair shipped...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, they're expensive everywhere I seem to look. I may be heading to Halters late afternoon with the 2.5 year old wrecking ball. I may have to give them a try.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Yeah, that reminds me, they're not cheap tires.

I got my from FlyBikeShop on Fleabay for 84.50 a pair shipped. They don't have anything up there now and their price on their "regular" site is $55 each...no deal.

That's certainly not bad since my current tires were $120/set.
I'll check with my LBS to see if they carry the Conti's. Yes, 25C's add a bit of cush and a bit of security. Though, I'm riding 23C's now and don't feel I'm lacking much of anything

As for general wear, I've got 1,200mi on the front and only @ 600 on the rear(which is the one that needs replacing now). They still have some molding hairs, and aside from the current issues, I've no complaints. It's the penetrability of the tire that has me questioning.

Ben, you use the Conti's for gen riding... what do you use for racing and why?

I keep hearing about the Armadillo tire @ $48 any experience?
...Holy Crap! Look what I just found...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCSGbWbPyE

I wonder how they are for weight and grip...

And Tim, I love Timmy's quote!!:rofl:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
And Tim, I love Timmy's quote!!:rofl:

Heh, heh, Moose lays a few quotes like that on me every week. I had the "The first time is a charm if you know what you're doing" quote up for a long time and was thinking it was time to change...and yesterday the young man delivered :)

K

kramerski

Michelin KRYLION CARBON

I ride Micheline Krylion Carbons, 23C but they are available in 25c. I find these tires almost indestructible. The "carbon" belt keeps out the glass. They ride nice too.

I've been hitting some gravel roads with mine lately too.

The road bed part of my last pair were knicked liked crazy, flat spotted from the trainer and had a lot of imbedded rocks, little glass pieces, etc but still never flatted.

Probably had close to 3500 miles on the rear plus countless trainer miles.

If you look around you can can get them for less than $40 a tire.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I figured I was being a bit obsessive about the little hole in my tire and decided to wait it out. Then, last Wednesday going around a fast corner in nearly the exact place where the last tire was trashed(a dark, 287 underpass that ends with a stop light and low visibility to oncoming traffic) PHHHSSSHHH, PHHHSSSHHH, PHHHSSSHHH!!!

Damn! I'm getting too good at hopping off the bike quick. Time to try cyclocross. I re-adjusted the insurance card that I put in the previous week(it had worn through, exposing the tube). I threw in a new tube and finished the ride. At the shop(I've got bench privileges now:D), I took out the card and patched it from the inside of the tire.

Saturday's 30/17.6 was fine. Monday, PHHHSSSHHH, PHHHSSSHHH, PHHHSSSHHH!!! The little hole is just getting bigger as the tread seems to be failing and the tire bulging under pressure. I expected a bit more from the Sworks Mondo tires. I've honestly lost count how many times I've replaced them and frankly, I'm tired of it.

So, my LBS took back the failed tire on the Specialized customer satisfaction guarantee(again) and swapped it for the Sworks Armadillos. At $60, I bought the second to match. I might have got it for less online, but having my LBS deal with the return issues is well worth the few extra bucks and, considering the cost in tubes and cartridges I've been through recently, this really was the cheapest option.

SO... I'm keeping my fingers crossed on their flat resistance and wearability, their rideability, resistance and road grip and I'm hoping the extra weight won't factor too much into it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Eileen

I've been thinking about the Armadillos, but I had a lot of problems with the Specialized mtb tires and so I'm holding off for a bit. I'm interested to see if they hold up. Let me know how it goes.

al415

Banned
I'll throw my hat in for the Continental 4's. In May I rode from NJ to DC on a set, two of the three days were in torrential rain, the Conti's held up to pot holes, metal bridge crossings and the odd unplanned gravel excursion. They don't have the supple road feel of a dedicated race tire but they sure are a durable compromise.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I sold over 200 GP 4 seasons this summer.

This is by far the longest wearing, performance tire I have come across.

There are indeed tougher tires and faster but as for best combo.. these are hard to beat.

As for pricing... Anything and everything rubber is jumping up in price and fast.

Watch the price of Schwalbe hitting near $90 a tire within the year.

Conti's near $70.

They better last for that.

J-

Top Bottom