Road Tire Recommendations

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Hey guys,

I'm currently running some NOS Continental Gran Prix tires on the Torelli that I've had sitting around in their boxes for something like 13 years. They seem fine, but I don't want to get tooo far way from home with these.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm looking for a good rolling, durable, decent riding set of rubber. They don't have to be feather light; I ain't racing. 'Just a kick-ass "training" tire that isn't stupidly expensive...though it doesn't have to be "bargain basement" priced either.

Probably 700x23c. A 25c would be fine too if you can run 'em on skinny rims (like 13mm inside dimension from wall-to-wall).

Thanks in advance.
Tim

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Jdog set me up with the Grand Prix All Seasons when it was a bit cooler out. I have been satisfied so far. He also recommended another tire but I don't remember the model.

Nimrod

Continenal Grand Prix 4000 fan here, best tire ever:D

Put the 4000's on my Race Bike (Tarmac/Expert) last year and still can't believe how well they ride (2,000 miles).

The Michelin Pro series are nice too. But they won't ride as well, or last as long as the Conti's

Nimrod

Thanks for the recommends guys...ya' think my 200lb ass should be riding a 25c vs 23c?

I'm 170(ish) and riding 23c. At 200 and for tooling around, training go for the 25's. The ride will be allot better.

Also worth mentioning, on my "Commuting bike" I put the Conti "Gator Skin" tires on last year = only one flat so far.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm 170(ish) and riding 23c. At 200 and for tooling around, training go for the 25's. The ride will be allot better.

Also worth mentioning, on my "Commuting bike" I put the Conti "Gator Skin" tires on last year = only one flat so far.

How do the Gatorskins roll? They're the conti "pure" training tire, yes?

I got the 23c's I'm running now back in my racin' days (conti sponsorship thing) and I was about your size then...memories...

mwlikesbikes

I run Conti GP 4000 23C and like em alot. I weigh 190ish and pump then to 120psi with no probs. Those tires are big for 23C. I had a pair of Michelin 23s that were visibly smaller.

BiknBen

I pretty surprised by all the Conti love you guys are giving out. Usually, a question like Fogerson's will start a battle.

I've been a long time Conti user. I used Gatorskins, GP3000, GP4000, and 4-season, Attack/Force, etc.

Conti Tire Guide

The 4000s are strickly race tires. They are on my race wheels. I think training on them is a waste of money.

I train on the 4-season tires. I have found that they last forever, have good flat resistance and roll nice. They are basically the old GP3000s with an extra layer they call Duraskin.

All that being said, there are more tire choices out there than we need. Don't go nutz trying to figure out what is best if you are just training on them. I've been riding all winter on a pair of Michelins that I got at PedroFest for $5 each. Great for the winter but they are about to become trainer tires.

I also recomend you use the widest tire that will fit on your frame. It will be 25c on most road racing bikes. I'm 155#s and train on 25c. Softer ride, better wear and flat protection.

Last edited:

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
www.biketiresdirect.com
That is where I have found good deals:
Vittoria zaffiro pro2 for training. bulletproof and great traction when the road gets dicy, like this time of year.
Michelin pro race 2 for days when I think I can go faster than others....
my .02

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I like to run Vredestein Fortezza TriComp. I got into these from running them on my tandem: 280+ lbs of riders on 23c or 25c and they are rated up to 140psi. They handle so well I run them on solo bike too.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks!

Thanks again to all. I bought the 25c Conti 4 Seasons and 'must say they are fabulous. Ride nice, grip well (even when damp), roll well, and I've managed to run over all sorts of crap on the shoulder w/o even a whimper from these tires.

I don't have a ton of miles on them yet, but I can certainly say these are the best all-round road tires I've ever had. Of course, they're 15 years newer tire technology than any other road tire I've ever had so YMMV ;)

Top Bottom