Road shifter issue

Ironjunk

I generally can figure out most drivetrain issues. It's a 105 short cage from probably 2008. Says flight deck shifter , everthing is 10 sp.

My problem is when shifting up sometimes the shifter will click but i will have to give it a nudge to index properly as it's chattering trying to index.

It will click when dropping down and index in all the correct gears.

If i add tension then it won't want to drop properly to smaller gears.

The hanger is true. The cables are new and the shifters are clean and lubed. The derailluer is clean.

My experience is that sort of shift behavior may indicate the head end of the cable is starting to separate from the cable inside the sti shifter mech. See if you can push enough cable out of the brifter to observe if there’s any fraying or separation of the cable from the attachment to the cable head. It’s not an unusual failure point. if this is indeed the issue, just replace the cable. The shifting typically continues to degrade otherwise until the cable head detaches completely. If the head end falls out of the mounting socket in the brifter and falls loose inside the mech somewhere, it’s a real pain to try to fish out (after you‘ve singlespeeded it home in the smallest cog. Worth taking a look.

My experience is that sort of shift behavior may indicate the head end of the cable is starting to separate from the cable inside the sti shifter mech. See if you can push enough cable out of the brifter to observe if there’s any fraying or separation of the cable from the attachment to the cable head. It’s not an unusual failure point. if this is indeed the issue, just replace the cable. The shifting typically continues to degrade otherwise until the cable head detaches completely. If the head end falls out of the mounting socket in the brifter and falls loose inside the mech somewhere, it’s a real pain to try to fish out (after you‘ve singlespeeded it home in the smallest cog. Worth taking a look.
It was a pain to put the cable in maybe it's not seated properly also....i will check.

It indexes the lower two and upper two just fine, it's just the middle.

Everything was fine in the shifter, the bike came with inline barrel adjusters for tension. I removed them and the slop went away. Looks like it was the issue. They were old and sloppy, maybe newer models have better tolerances, maybe ill get by without them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom