Road riders how do u justify it?

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
You have to be EXTREMELY aware of your surroundings at all times. I can count on 1 hand the amount of "oh shits" I've had out there...i'm pretty sure it was due to the hours I rode, the roads I would ride and being aware.

Now.... I really enjoyed riding the roads but for personal reasons gave it up and stick to trails and side streets with my little girl in tow.

*disclosure. I did not read anyone's post*

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hijacking this thread. Got my first pair of bib shorts last week. Killer sale at REI.

Anyway, does jersey go over or under bib straps?

I'm thinking over, but being a total dork, figured I'd ask.

I really like them. Very comfortable

I would go with over.

1280px-Cycling_Bibshorts.jpg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Road riding is bitter sweet. Stay off main roads(not the best at practicing what I preach). Ocean Ave along the coast is The Worst Road To Ride. I may stick to sandy hook only in the near future or special organized road rides. When you ride a road bike you need to approach it as if EVERYONE is trying to kill you. Make eye contact, lots of lights, big/flashy hand signals. At the minimum light colored jersey and bright socks. Garmin makes a perimeter warning sensor now too.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hijacking this thread. Got my first pair of bib shorts last week. Killer sale at REI.

Bib straps always under to gently caress your body.

Bib straps over base layer when it's cold, then outer wear or jersey over everything.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

As much as I would like to troll you, bib straps should never be seen unless you are climbing an alpine climb in July and have your jersey wide open.

Or is your are @pearl and just Ride with it open to look pro

ReverendNewman

Recently I have been interested in getting a cross/road bike. However it seems like the likelihood of getting into an accident with a vehicle is high. Is the risk over exaggerated? What do you do to stay safe? What makes you accept the risk and ride?
I hear ya. I lost my "feel" for road biking. I have my 29'er that I have Schwabble Big One's on it that I'll ride up and the Spring Lake/Belmar/Asbury strip. But after seeing, and yes, I mean seeing that guy get killed on Herbertsville Rd. some years back, I figure it's just to congested in my area.

ReverendNewman

^^^^that thread

And ride early. Like really early. On some rides I count on both hands the number of cars I see - and on one hand the number of cars I actually get passed by. I usually get passed right when I am finishing up.
Very true. I use to go out at the Crack of dawn. Even in my conjested area of Brick, I still have to ride a few miles to get on some more "country" roads out in the Howell/Allenwood area.

ReverendNewman

And
1) Don't be an idiot. Stay the hell away from any over used commuter roads.
2) Always assume a car is behind you, never drift left.
3) Be predictable.
4) Make your intention clear....again and again. Signal early and often.
5) ***** Make Eye Contact******
6) Take the lane when safety calls for it. You have just as much right to safe passage as the motorized vehicles do.

Bonus:
* Ya don't wear drawers under the chamois.

* A$$ cream is partially to keep you from rubbing yourself raw and partially to keep the wet diaper like apparatus from giving you "Baboon A$$".

* If it tingles you're golden.... If it burns, ya grabbed the wrong tube.... Enjoy the roasted chestnuts.
And don't wear headphones!!!!

ReverendNewman

The accident risk for cars is WAY overrated. Everyone else said the correct stuff however buy good shorts , that fit and ditch the chamois cream as it can actually lead to more friction. You can find road with basically zero cars on them and the morning is the better time for this. Hi Vis isn't going help a car plowing your ass, nor is a tail light during the day. Ride offensively, not defensively, don't ask nicely to take the lane, just take it. Put yourself in the safety spot on every road you are on and that is rarely 6" from the edge of pavement.
Bicycling Magazine once had an article that once said stay more IN the lane so ur more visible. The more lane u give up, the more the car will take.

Ian F

After some 35 years of riding on the congested roads of lower Bucks County PA, I would say the risk is over-rated.

What I like most about road riding is the "no driving" aspect. I commute far for work. Sometimes I just don't feel like driving and riding my mountain bike requires driving to trails. When I road ride, I roll out my front door and go. Rarely a set schedule or route other than a general idea. If I feel good, I ride far. If not, I turn towards the river and head back.

Road riding for me is a solo thing - just me, the road and my thoughts. Mtn biking is usually a social thing - I mostly ride with others (other than 6MR, where I usually ride alone).

Have I had encounters with cars? Of course. But after 35 years of doing this, not much phases me anymore.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have some different thoughts about taking up more of the lane. It won't protect u from some douche who is txting and driving which happens quite often these days. I would at times rather chance sticking close to the right. It is rare that a car will come within 3ft of something they will side swipe into even if the driver is not paying attention. 3ft is really all u need in order not to get crushed. Cars might come close but hitting u would take some talent. In terms of road debris I would rather get a flat than have someone roll up behind me.

That said, at times I take my space. Usually after I take a peek back. It is more by feel than rule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom