road racing

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i hate to make two n00b race threads, but i have some questions...

i'm thinking of racing a crit in two weeks.

-are there any rules against brakeless bikes?
-would racing a fixed gear cause me to get totally crushed even in the lowest category? on the mtb, I'd consider myself an upper sport level racer...

BiknBen

i hate to make two n00b race threads, but i have some questions...

i'm thinking of racing a crit in two weeks.

-are there any rules against brakeless bikes?
-would racing a fixed gear cause me to get totally crushed even in the lowest category? on the mtb, I'd consider myself an upper sport level racer...

What crit is this?

I'll check the rules for you but I'm almost certain the bike has to have brakes.

The lowest category is going to average around 25mph. You got a gear for that speed?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Aside from the rules, do you really want to be riding at 25mph in a group of riders without brakes and freewheel? Some major safety concerns there for you and other riders. Looks like you need to start making some trips to trexlertown....

lancerracer

Princeton Cycling is hosting a Crit the morning before their collegiate Criterium on March 7th. The race is part of the Spirit of '69 Rutgers/Princeton Collegiate stage race. Race the Crit in the morning and then hang out and support 400 collegiate cyclists!

Reg is open up on Bikereg now but bikereg seems to be down. I will post a link to the page tomorrow.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Princeton Cycling is hosting a Crit the morning before their collegiate Criterium on March 7th. The race is part of the Spirit of '69 Rutgers/Princeton Collegiate stage race. Race the Crit in the morning and then hang out and support 400 collegiate cyclists!

Reg is open up on Bikereg now but bikereg seems to be down. I will post a link to the page tomorrow.

I wanted to do this race too, is it only open for collegiates?

RC ... :)

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Branch Brook Park Series 2009

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7888

This is a long-running spring series that has been taken up by a different promoter from the one who ran it originally.

The one piece of advice I'd offer to anyone looking to try these is to do some fast group rides first, as it's vital to have some experience and comfort riding in close quarters if you want to race (and actually enjoy/survive it, anyway).

trener1

Don't do it.
Riding a fixie in a Crit is a danger to others, even you don't care about the danger to yourself.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
Well do remember the Rutger's race is a Stage Race, so there's more to the GC than the Crit.

And yeah, a fixie is a no go.

And a Cat 5 race in Branchbrook has a high rate of crashes - so be ready.

xc62701

I'm looking into the Tuesday night Augusta Training Series. They have a cool race I've heard at the sussex county fair grounds. I've only done the Tour de Lake Hopatcong road races and need a little extra warm up for an early race this season so I should be hitting a few of these up.

Top Bottom