Road cassette quandry

J-Dro

I went to swap out the cassette on my road bike and hit a snag. My wheel has Shimano hubs (WH-R600) and the old cassette is a Shimano CS-5600. The new cassette that I picked up is a SRAM PG-1070. The problem I ran into is that the freehub has a lip about 1/4 inch from the outer edge where the splines become deeper. I attached a pic so you can see what I mean. The new SRAM cassette won't slip down over the lip. I looked at the Shimano cassette and sure enough, the larger cogs have deeper cuts to accommodate the deeper splines on the freehub.

Is this a common Shimano/SRAM incompatibility or do I have some oddball freehub?

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

BiknBen

You may be Fvcked. There was a limited time when shimano hubs would only work with shimano cassettes. I believe you have found it.

I believe it is mentioned on this page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

"Dura-Ace 7800 10-speed freehubs have taller splines than other Shimano models.

As a result, it is not possible to install cassettes other than 10-speed models on Dura-Ace 7800 hubs. It is not, however necessary to use Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes. The Ultegra 10 speed cassettes also accommodate the taller splines of the 7800 hubs.

The interchangeability issue only applies to that particular hub. The 10-speed cassettes will fit on any Shimano 8- or 9-speed Freehub with no problems.

The Ultegra 10-speed group introduced for the 2005 model year has no such limit for the standard hubs, but there is one Ultegra complete wheelset that shares this limitation."

Last edited:

Engignar

Jeff,

I had the same thing happen to me when I bought a new set of Easton wheels.
My solution was to take the freehub shell off, clamp it in the lathe, and machine the taller splines flush with the shorter ones. Bonus loss of a gram or two of rotating weight :D.

Yes, Colorado is nice btw.

J-Dro

You may be Fvcked. There was a limited time when shimano hubs would only work with shimano cassettes. I believe you have found it.

The Ultegra 10-speed group introduced for the 2005 model year has no such limit for the standard hubs, but there is one Ultegra complete wheelset that shares this limitation."

Yep that sounds like my wheelset. :mad2:

Since I don't have access to a lathe (good suggestion Dave), where can I get a cassette that will work with this freak of a hub? From what I gather, a modern Shimano cassette won't work either, right?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Sram cass's won't work for sure.

Da will work for sure and maybe Ultegra. Sorry bud.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If it makes you feel any better, the new Shimano wheels aren't like that:D

-Jim.

herbn

Jeff,

I had the same thing happen to me when I bought a new set of Easton wheels.
My solution was to take the freehub shell off, clamp it in the lathe, and machine the taller splines flush with the shorter ones. Bonus loss of a gram or two of rotating weight :D.

Yes, Colorado is nice btw.

Damn i thought i was the only one that did that:) i upgraded to shimano wheels a few years back, but i kept my 9 speed by machining those pesky tall splines down.

Top Bottom