Road bike 1x

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks Manny!

So, @Pearl had a texting battle about cassette compatibility and it turns out that it is the shimano 11spd road cassettes are what didn't work on 8/9/10 HG hub bodies (at least in many cases). If you care, Lennard Zinn has it well documented. However, I was curious about Pearls claim of XT 11 speed fitting on 8/9/10 HG hub bodies. So I dug out the 10 spd C24 i had and an XT 11 speed cassette I just took off my son's bike and it did fit.

Also, SLX 11 speed cassettes use the same spiders as the XT, so they would be compatible also and are only 40 grams heavier. 10 of those grams are the steel lockring compared to the alum on the XT.
View attachment 126664View attachment 126665

To further help Manny, I ran that Voodoo i had with 10 speed 11/25. I ran a 42 and a 46 and found the 46 limiting with the 25, however with a 32 it would be more feasible.

Any bad cross chain action? What’s the smol cog size?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Any bad cross chain action? What’s the smol cog size?
That small cog is 11. Even with these modern 1by, they never really solved the cross chaining “issue” and technically made it worse with a wider cassette. Likely part of the reason chains don’t last that long anymore.

With most converted 1by setups, you may have some flexibility in mounting the chainring inside or outside the spider to put it in a location that works best (typically inside so it better suites the lower gears). Also, may have some flexibility with bottom bracket spacers.

THATmanMANNY

@stb222 is a shooting ?

I probably dont have the time to tool on this so probably stick to 10speed Instead of swapping in 11s shifter.

If i ran a 10s mtb cassette would i need to run a mtb rear der or a longer cage road der?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@stb222 is a shooting ?

I probably dont have the time to tool on this so probably stick to 10speed Instead of swapping in 11s shifter.

If i ran a 10s mtb cassette would i need to run a mtb rear der or a longer cage road der?
Think it depends on the cassette. Most road RD can handle upto 32t. SRAM 1x road can handle 42t. What drivetrain does your bike currently have?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Jeez. Like around a 8 year old ultegra setup. At least. Compact 2x10 (11/25)
I think you should be fine with a 32t cassette.
If you need to go bigger... a pre dynasys 9spd mtb rd will work with road 10 spd shifter.... for shimano.

EDIT: My old 105 RD did work with a 36t... but too close for comfort. Would not recommend.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think you should be fine with a 32t cassette.
If you need to go bigger... a pre dynasys 9spd mtb rd will work with road 10 spd shifter.... for shimano.
10 speed is when the large range cassettes started, but 10 speed shimano was limited to 28. For 10 speed, I am not sure if they had a long cage, but if you have a long cage, it would have a greater chance of success. However 105 did have a max 32 derailleur and it is cheap:

You might be able to squeeze a 32, but you might grind out the derailleur. SRAM was ahead of that curve, but that doesn't help @THATmanMANNY

Also, wolftooth has this links to extend the range of the derailleur:

Last edited:

grilledcheeseking

10 speed is where Shimano went different ways on road and mountain cable pull - relevant if you're thinking of mixing and matching whatever shifter and RD. The options that @stb222 suggested are def the way to go to avoid that headache.

As for 11 speed on 10 speed hub - there are one or two 11s shimano cassettes that work. There's a 105 11-34 (I think?) cassette and maybe an ultegra same range that fits a 10s freehub body and comes with a spacer that makes it work for 11s hub.

Fire Lord Jim

Front derailleur, worst invention ever
I don't know anything about this topic and hope to gain some more knowledge.

All our bikes are compact crankset 50/32? and 2x10.
We do central jersey riding so the most we would ever ride is up sourlands.

Would 1x11 achieve the same? Wouldn't mind 1x12 if it buys me some more range.

I only have 100/130QR bikes. I'm just jumping to conclusions but a new bike is probably more cost effective than upgrading parts.
I would not abandon the front derailleur... Unless the bike is a 56cm, then you have to get a new bike, and I will dispose of your old one.

These 11 & 12 speeds are not interchangeable, are expensive, and wear out fast. Your road bike doesn't need the left shifter removed to make room for a dropper lever. A front derailleur can actually remount a dropped chain--try that on a one-by. The ability to drop a front chainring gives a fast gear change, and saves cogs: my 9-speed cassette will have more unused cogs left after a front shift than a 12-speed will have after you moved four cogs to get the same gear range change.

You wrote you are looking for knowledge. I would spend a half-hour watching videos about how to adjust the front derailleur before I abandon it. My two cents.

THATmanMANNY

Sorry, 54cm here. Main thing is I just have no use for FD where I am and practically always ride. I Like that clean 1x look and non distracted pedaling. The option that it’s there distracts me. It may be weird, I know. It’s like how some prefer to ride single speed because you just focus more on pedaling and mashing.

Can you drop a road bike chain with a NWN chainring? Seems like a hard thing to do unless that road beneath you is terrible

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
At one pt, my commuter was a 1x7 with a non NW standard chain ring with a non clutch RD. I dropped the chain once when I jumped dropped off from a side walk.

THATmanMANNY

Problem solved. Stay tuned
0D6ADFA7-0E6E-48F5-ABB0-CA03817EFDBF.jpeg

Top Bottom