RIP Voorhees State Park

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
whoops - i doubled up on this over in the voorhees section.

Karate Monkey

Seems kinda weird that one of the smallest, most densely populated states in the country can't find/hire rangers, doesn't it?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Seems kinda weird that one of the smallest, most densely populated states in the country can't find/hire rangers, doesn't it?
This is corruption in plain sight. All this does is close a park and let it fall into disrepair only to need huge costs later to reopen and repair.

Zero cost saving overall is likely and possibly a net loss.

this is an embarrassing policy for who ever thought it up

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am not supporting the state here, but everything at the state moves at a snails pace. Not to mention everything is tied to a budget. Hence, it is not possible to just hire park staff on a whim. If it was private industry, hiring would have happened already.

It is unlikely someone was paid to close the parks and then hire someone to clean them up and reopen it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
given they just furloughed a bunch of staff, closed down parks, and redeployed last month to save money,
I don't think this is a bad move. Voorhees might have 3 cars in the lot at any one time.
Now they can lock the bathrooms, and close the gate for a couple months, moving the staff
to RV to patrol for swimming or partying in the more remote locations.
Nobody goes to Spruce Run! and its beach is closed for an algae bloom right now anyway.

1TrackMind

I am not supporting the state here, but everything at the state moves at a snails pace. Not to mention everything is tied to a budget. Hence, it is not possible to just hire park staff on a whim. If it was private industry, hiring would have happened already.

It is unlikely someone was paid to close the parks and then hire someone to clean them up and reopen it.
But the states management of the parks since the start of this pandemic has been baffling. They closed boat ramps that never had attendants, only to assign state park police to guard and enforce closure during furloughs?? Now closing a park and redirecting people to parks that habe a toxic algae bloom and another one that hits capacity by 11am? Shouldn’t they work to redirect people to “underutilized” parks.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
But the states management of the parks since the start of this pandemic has been baffling. They closed boat ramps that never had attendants, only to assign state park police to guard and enforce closure during furloughs?? Now closing a park and redirecting people to parks that habe a toxic algae bloom and another one that hits capacity by 11am? Shouldn’t they work to redirect people to “underutilized” parks.
I guess, but they are likely redirecting to the closest park. I’m not saying their isn’t mismanagement, there is, but hiring rangers won’t fix that (because of said mismanagement).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not to be political but
Hunterdon and Cape May counties vote republican. Moving some blue around to those county's are part of a plan. By issuing these and wildlife management areas to privatized affiliations can get the ball rolling towards building on those lands.
Something to think about

Just like closing parks during Covid , did it have much of an impact? People will still access the parks but from different points now.

phillychris498

This makes me sad. Voorhees is still a very popular place to run for folks. I disagree that it’s normally empty, I typically see at least 5 cars in there parked when I drive by.

Top Bottom