RIP NJ cyclist

thegock

It surprises me when a cyclist dying on New Jersey roads isn’t even mentioned on this forum. Three people who I know discussed this accident possible crime that occurred on October 12 at 3:06pm, with me:

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/n...dd-former-long-hill-boe-president/1683665002/

https://www.gofundme.com/nick-stevens-family-fund

The details that I got from each of the people who discussed the accident possible crime were slightly different, so I will go with what is in the citations above. Looks like a 22 year-old Drew University student (or graduate?) made a mistake and a 54 year old attorney with two teenage children was killed after a collision with her car, which then put him into the path of another vehicle.

This kind of thing is why I have ridden road four hours of 300 hours so far this year, outside of riding the quiet streets of the Land of Make Believe on the way to the trails.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
It does get disconcerting. I just read about another accident in Florida where a group got plowed into by a "distracted" driver - they think sun glare was a contributing factor. For me, I tell myself riding off peak hours, away from heavy traffic (usually), not during sunglare, plus wearing high visibility clothes and light all helps. I guess one advantage of fake rides is you'll never get run over by a car, unless one happens to slam into your house.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It surprises me when a cyclist dying on New Jersey roads isn’t even mentioned on this forum. Three people who I know discussed this accident possible crime on October 12 at 3:06pm, with me:

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/n...dd-former-long-hill-boe-president/1683665002/

https://www.gofundme.com/nick-stevens-family-fund

The details that I got from each of the people who discussed the accident possible crime were slightly different, so I will go with what is in the citations above. Looks like a 22 year-old Drew University student (or graduate?) made a mistake and a 54 year old attorney with two teenage children was killed after a collision with her car, which then put him into the path of another vehicle.

This kind of thing is why I have ridden road four hours of 300 hours so far this year, outside of riding the quiet streets of the Land of Make Believe on the way to the trails.
Pretty sure this was posted on here. I know the MAFW FB group had it. I know that intersection fairly well. Very sad/scary.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I never saw this. I hate to see this. It’s why I ride at the times I ride. I figure fewer cars means lower risk, but who knows if that’s actually true.

thegock

Pretty sure this was posted on here. I know the MAFW FB group had it. I know that intersection fairly well. Very sad/scary.

Did a quick, but unsuccessful, search for it before I started my second thread in the last few years on here. I have been thru the intersection many times, as well, when I used to focus on road riding, but don't know the details of the accident possible crime. One of the three people who told me about the accident possible crime (on an mtb ride, btw) said that the geometry of the accident possible crime didn't seem to indicate sun glare as a possible factor.

After a second friend wound up in a wheelchair, I began running TWO bright front and rear strobes 24x7, in addition the the garish clothing. With the number of drivers that I see looking at their phones while moving, it may not do much good.

Also, I have been an advocate and practitioner of off time riding on roads that are less traveled. The worst, besides rush hours is the "after school" period from about 2:30-4:30pm. It was in that window that I had a close call (near left hook by a Mercedes on Somerville Rd.), which caused me to change. Best time is before morning rush, after evening rush or 10am - 12 noon.

qclabrat

Terrible news, all the best to the family.
I can't go through intersections without tapping my brakes even with a clear right of way anymore. I live in the same area and it's only a bit better than when I lived in Edison. Still need to drive farther West to get a road ride in

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Aside from the option to donate to the family...

I personally don't like reading any of these stories or knowing the details and don't think they should be posted on the site.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Aside from the option to donate to the family...

I personally don't like reading any of these stories or knowing the details and don't think they should be posted on the site.

while i understand where you are coming from, (ignorance is bliss) some of these events are learning experiences based on what happened and if you learn from them and do more to protect yourself then its helping you.

I honestly hate seeing these stories too.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If Nicole couldn't notice 15-25 riders, she must have been reading a long text message.
“She admitted to being distracted with something in the passenger compartment of her car,” Leone said.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
while i understand where you are coming from, (ignorance is bliss) some of these events are learning experiences based on what happened and if you learn from them and do more to protect yourself then its helping you.

I honestly hate seeing these stories too.
I understand this point of view, however many of the accidents are a situation of circumstances that lead to death or injury, very similar to any vehicle accident. It is split second between an accident and a close call. I don’t think there is much you can do other than route selection and placing yourself in the safest perceived location on the road at all times. Knowing that someone was hit in an intersection you go through doesn’t change that.

Now knowing that ‘x’ number of people get hit there a week, that is useful to know so you can avoid.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I understand this point of view, however many of the accidents are a situation of circumstances that lead to death or injury, very similar to any vehicle accident. It is split second between an accident and a close call. I don’t think there is much you can do other than route selection and placing yourself in the safest perceived location on the road at all times. Knowing that someone was hit in an intersection you go through doesn’t change that.

Now knowing that ‘x’ number of people get hit there a week, that is useful to know so you can avoid.

Knowing why these things happens may help us change as a society why they happen from the driver's seat, not what we can do from the bike seat.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Knowing why these things happens may help us change as a society why they happen from the driver's seat, not what we can do from the bike seat.
Have you ever talked to anyone that drives and isn’t a rider? It is a lost cause. Or just ride zwift all day.

But outside of that, article on a news site
Will help with that, not on a bike site.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@stb222 - i hate reading these things, the accusatory tones, the morbid topic.
---
I am willing to learn the circumstance. we don't get an official report, and there probably isn't a whole ton of
effort into root-cause. but if we can get one more item to add to our arsenal of safe riding...

in reality, it is probably the same thing over-and-over

why don't people ride with front and rear lights?
why go on a road that is straight into the sun?
why pick that route, when there are plenty, less risky to choose?

why aren't drivers more aware in high-conflict areas?
why don't they slow down when vis is affected?
why isn't there more required cyclist/share road training in the DL process?
why are cyclists dismissed as an annoyance on the road?

still, accidents happen, even when paying attention, meaning both cyclist and driver and pedestrian.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Tragic and sadly all too common. I rarely ride the road for this reason and when I do it’s usually just a short stretch to connect bike paths. I’d rather take my chances off-road with bears and rattlesnakes in the woods than on-road with the average driver.

Fire Lord Jim

I ride the roads a lot; even more than usual this rainy year. Figure ~3k miles. Oddly, roadies talk about how dangerous mountain biking is, and how they rarely will do it, maybe a canal path but never with 23mm smooth tires. So it contrasts the "why I don't ride on the road..." meme here.

Road biking has never sent me to the hospital. I can't make the same claim about riding in the woods. Getting hit from behind on the road is very rare; most roadie accidents are at intersections. I don't linger in intersections. Robocop can likely cite what part of title 39 I violate, but it keeps me safe(r).

Likewise, I do not follow many other road rules for vehicles. I instead follow the rules of physics. New Jersey's jughandles, circles, and left lanes for left turns seem to have been designed to remove if not exclude cyclists.

I have been buzzed more than I can count, and have locked the rear wheel to avoid a crash. I know the risks. And yet I like the feel of a long road ride. And, I'm still here.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Likewise, I do not follow many other road rules for vehicles

isn't that the complete opposite of what you should do? i mean, what i've been taught is to "act" like a vehicle so that drivers can predict what you're doing. (title 39 is basically if you ride in the road, you have the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle... which is nice if everyone thought that way and treated bikers with respect.)

not arguing... people need to do what they need to do to keep themselves safe... and i don't ride in the road often... frankly, i don't like it. and when i do, i will do my best to avoid busier roads/intersections, etc

Top Bottom