Ringwood

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

So You Want to Ride Ringwood

Ringwood State Park

1626916955155.png

Introduction

The first thing to know about Ringwood is that there is no "best" way to ride all the good trails. This is what makes a park both awesome and frustrating as a non-regular. You will have to ride some fire roads in order to put some things together. The main fire road is a climb which leads to a great downhill run. In general, we are "ok" with fire road climbs; less so with fire road descents.

This article really only gives a partial tour of the park. You could put together some epic rides within the park. By adding Sterling, which you can connect to with a minimum of road, you can string together an epic day.

Best Trails to Ride

The trails we are going to focus on are some of the more popular ones and easier to loop together.

1. Ringwood Ramapo Knob to Warm Puppy Rock
  2. Skylands
  3. White/Crossover (this is a link to the main downhill)
  4. Poison Ivy
  5. (New) Crossover (Lot A, 19, National Trails Day Build)
  6. Race Loop
  7. Six Bridges Loop
  8. Cats Nest (formerly Renegade)
Some additional trails to ride:
  1. TBD

Best Loops to Ride

Loop 1: Ringwood Advanced Loop

Notes

This route will touch on a lot of the trails mentioned in the Trails to Ride section above. Parking will be at Ryerson School, but you can also park at Lot A and do the same loop just starting in a different spot. In fact, one could argue that starting at Lot A makes more sense. The loop is not beginner-friendly, and even intermediate riders will have a tough time doing this in a single go. There is nothing in here that will kill you. But it's a long ride and you need to be prepared for that.

General Description (not a step-by-step walkthrough)

• You start by climbing up the hill for a bit. If the first 10 minutes make you hurt, you may want to rethink this
  • The route takes you on a loop of Six Bridges (CW direction). You can cut this out to shorten the loop
  • From there you make your way to Cat's Nest (formerly Renegade) which is a fairly technical trail in spots
  • You then hit the first of the fire road climbs, which lasts a long time
  • At the end you are rewarded with a really long downhill run on white
  • At the bottom of this downhill, you climb up some switchbacks to the main crossing point in the loop
  • Decision Point. If you have had enough you can go left on Warm Puppy Rock and finish out your ride
  • If you continue on, drop straight across down the fire road which brings you to Lot A
  • From the lot there are a few newer trails that bring you to the other side of the pavement
  • Continue on until you get to the old piece of heavy machinery where there's a small loop at the NW corner of this GPS loop
  • You can skip this CCW loop to save ~10 minutes
  • From here head to Shepherds Lake where you can refill water if needed, season-dependent
  • The remainder of the loop is a series of straight trails to bring you back. Note that the end of this loop is probably the most difficult of the whole loop
    • Race loop (backwards)
    • Skylands
    • Ringwood Ramapo Knob
    • Warm Puppy Rock
  • Then you take a series of small connectors back to the Ryerson lot
GPS Tracks

Strava Ringwood Advanced Loop
Trailforks Ride Log
(need TF route)
GPX Download

Parking

Parking is available both inside the park, and from popular access points

Amenities

{{{Amenities}}}

Features

Maps

The best map of Ringwood can be found on Trailforks.

Below is a screen shot of the Strava route, plus elevation profile. You can see the 2 significant climbs more clearly in this view.

1626960776717.png

Media

Links To:

For more information, see the following links regarding Ringwood:

Nearby

Food places
Bike shops
Quik-E-Marts
Coffee shops
And so on

Do you expect any type of contribution to this thread and if so what type? Let me know if this posts is not supposed to be here and I'll delete it (or you can delete it).

Do you expect any type of contribution to this thread and if so what type? Let me know if this posts is not supposed to be here and I'll delete it (or you can delete it).

short answer - yes.

This is @Norm's project - he'll be providing some direction soon. try following the wiki link up top

Yes, I remember @Norm hinting at this, I was actually waiting to see how it turned out. Which link?
Screenshot 2021-09-09 13.30.03.png

Ah, yes I do. Sorry, I thought it was supposed to be something specific in the first spot. Thank you. Ok, so maybe I should clean up my mess and delete my posts?

I'll get it - the Qs are good, i'm sure others will have the same ones - until we get some directions/info in place, please leave it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions