Ringwood

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I don't know Ringwood for squat so that really doesn't mean anything to me. I just need to get out there and explore I suppose.

Well, I was just following the advice I read on this thread...
"Some trails are only to be seen in person, passed on by word of mouth, never to be written or mapped"

;)

Shaggz

A strong 7
Skyline is much easier, especially if you stick to the Cannonball trail on the opposite side of the road as the parking lot. You can always do an "out and back" and easily kill an hour or two. Those are slow miles up in Skyline but fun as hell.

I think you are better off not crossing Skyline and doing the trails on the parking lot side. You can make a very nice loop. Later when I have some time I can give you more details. But I also forgot to mention on my previous post. I also work close to Skyline Drive and I can show you some trails, unfortunately I can't make it this week, perhaps next I might be able to sneak out from work at 5pm and be ready to ride by 5:30/5:40.
My primary goal tonight is to get there and not get lost, which is why I was thinking the out-and-back would be a good option.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
My primary goal tonight is to get there and not get lost, which is why I was thinking the out-and-back would be a good option.

Ok then, the easiest will be to park at the top of Skyline. Cross the road and ride on the road about 1/2 mile or less, you will see the Cannonball trailhead on your right side a red circle with a white C, follow that until you come out to a clearing with some Gas pipes. You can go straight into a Yellow trail which is very rocky uphill (it is nice coming down but a pain going up) or you can go right a little and you will see an unmarked doubletrack. Both are kinda blocked by big boulders. This is easier climb, follow it until you come out to the pipeline, keep going straight until you see a cannonball trailhead on your right (you can take that which has a nice hard climb) or keep straight until some kind of station there, make a right onto yellow. Both Cannonball and Yellow will meet at the same point on top of the climb (yellow is easier climb IMO). After that you are on top and both trails are the same, keep going straight, you will hit a nice drop shortly after both trails meet, you can go around it if you are unsure. Eventually you will hit a "Y" where Cannonball & Yellow split. I prefer Yellow because it is more technical and also because Cannonball will bring you to one of the boy scout camps and they dont like MTB's, eventually Cannonball is double track and fireroad until you get to Bear Swamp (but that is kinda far for an afternoon ride with no lights). So going back to Yellow, you can keep going and you will hit very nice technical sections. I don't know your pace, but if you make it all the way to the lookout , nice big rock (you can't miss it). I would probably turn back there or turn back whenever you feel you had enough and just follow the same directions back. I think Yellow & Cannonball are pretty well marked, so as long as you stay on those you should be fine. You might see RED, ORANGE and GREEN trail blazes but that's a whole other loop that can get complicated for a short ride ;)
I love the yellow trail I wish I could ride today, but I am going to the Yankee game :D
I hope you find the trails ok.

Shaggz

A strong 7
OK - so I finally made it to the Cannonball tonight, and 1 hour was just not enough time. This place made it painfully obvious that my technical riding skills are lacking, at best. But it was fun. I really want to go back when I have hours to kill and have a willing guide bring me out in one piece. There was a lot of poison ivy there, too.

ElZ - the directions were great, thanks! Can you recommend an after-work loop on the parking lot side of the road?

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
OK - so I finally made it to the Cannonball tonight, and 1 hour was just not enough time. This place made it painfully obvious that my technical riding skills are lacking, at best. But it was fun. I really want to go back when I have hours to kill and have a willing guide bring me out in one piece. There was a lot of poison ivy there, too.

ElZ - the directions were great, thanks! Can you recommend an after-work loop on the parking lot side of the road?

We're riding from the top lot tonight at 6pm if youre interested in coming out. I am still very much out of shape so the pace will be a few clicks below medium.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
thanks for the invite, jeff. i am (hopefully) riding the road, as long as i can sort out these cans of "life happens" that have been opening on me these past several weeks. please let me know the next time you get out there.

Top Bottom