Ringwood West

bucknejo

hi guys,

is the western part of ringwood (west of cupsaw lake) a legit / sanctioned biking section of the park? are these the Cooper union side trails and how do they match up technically to trails like white and skylands? worth a trip or take a pass? I've marked a red / turquoise route on something I pulled from trail forks.

ringwood-west-01.jpg

serviceguy

Are they actually rideable?
I rode them ~ 10 years ago and other than one wet area they were not much different than other Ringwood trails. Nice view of the reservoir at the southern end.
I asked because last time I was on Cooper Union, maybe 2 years ago, I found very difficult to follow the trail and ended up in someone's backyard with their dog barking/running after me...I always intended going back to it starting at the church on Carletondale rd but never got to it.

serviceguy

Took a hike while getting my winter tires swapped...
D3291E7E-2A98-4F2A-B212-D09724CC4750.jpeg

There’s a downhill section right after the overlook that looks interesting ( as in I could break something there, either a bike part or a body part). Shame for the marshy bits, it would be really great if those were not breaking the flow. Would the park authorizing some work to drain and armor those sections? @pixychick ?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Took a hike while getting my winter tires swapped...
View attachment 156282

There’s a downhill section right after the overlook that looks interesting ( as in I could break something there, either a bike part or a body part). Shame for the marshy bits, it would be really great if those were not breaking the flow. Would the park authorizing some work to drain and armor those sections? @pixychick ?
That is actually on our list of repair work. Those few muddy spots need some work.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
@pixychick, any thoughts on trail work on the red trail connecting NY back to the tank? That could make for a good loop with the current trail.
Always thinking about stuff like that, but nothing proposed at this time. Red would need major reoroutes and full proposal. We most likely will be working on small repairs this year, unless the state approves re-route on Cooper Union at the most northern end. We have proposed a re-route on the washed out fire road that dumps down to the power line. No word yet.

Cassinonorth

My first ride in Ringwood was on the Cooper Union trail out and back before I had any clue where the good stuff was. Remember it being pretty solid and a nice view at the end. If I remember correctly there were a couple hiking only trails near there too.

Gdx5fHl.jpeg

serviceguy

As for hiking only trails - Cooper Union at the intersection with Carletondale Rd. is marked as such.
I’ve seen the sign, it does show only the hiking icon. An official looking document from the park lists cooper union as multiuse https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/Ringwood_trail_brochure_text.pdf even though it’s not dated nor I could find a link to it on the official page. I wouldn’t exclude the mtb sticker was removed from the sign. Sure enough I met only one mtb on the trail last Saturday.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Art and I inspected that section as soon as we got back. I have not been over there in years and I forgot how nice some of the spots were over there past Carltondale. There are some unsustainable spots too. Anyway that muddy section was pretty bad, but it is easy to avoid if you take a right right after crossing pipeline and then right again across pipeline and go around muddy spot and hook back in to cooper union. We have been approved for reroute on northern end of cooper union so that muddy section will have to wait. We meet with the park in a few weeks and I will try to get an official clarification on multiuse and update signs if necessary.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions