Ringwood Trail Projects 2020

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
We will be meeting at worksite on race course. The location is between pipeline and Old Morris Rd crossing ( closer to Old Morris Rd). I will try to place a jorba sign near the location since it is not directly on race course. We should be there by 2. Volunteers are welcome to show up any time. It is a short ride from Lot A or Shepherds Lake.

littlev21

IMG_8556.JPEG

how cool is this thing I ran into half way down white!!! This is so great!

Here is location of 6 bridges from Ryerson Middle School:
View attachment 137001

Race Trail goes from Sheppard Pond to Skylands fire road. Recent reroutes are not shown in this map, but should be good enough to help you find it. Crossover north from Lot A is also new in the last couple of years.
View attachment 137004

Ellen, thanks for the detailed explanations of the trail history!
Do you know where I can find a map that shows the whole red/Ringwood Rampo Trail?

serviceguy

Hi @pixychick , is anything happening today on Race Trail or SS? I’m actually off work and I could help, but I haven’t seen any plan on the RTC FB page or here.

Sergey

Do you know where I can find a map that shows the whole red/Ringwood Rampo Trail?
The Trail Map thread on this forum gives a link to the latest map that shows almost the whole R-R trail, except may be for the last few hundred yards before it joins Hoeferlin.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Hi @pixychick , is anything happening today on Race Trail or SS? I’m actually off work and I could help, but I haven’t seen any plan on the RTC FB page or here.
Sorry, but just saw this now. We worked on race trail. Art and I will be on race trail 2pm Thursdays through October, unless posted otherwise.

serviceguy

Sorry, but just saw this now. We worked on race trail. Art and I will be on race trail 2pm Thursdays through October, unless posted otherwise.
I should be able to make it next time if volunteers are needed...yesterday I wouldn’t have made it anyway, if turned out being one of those ‘working vacation’ day anyway...

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Art will be working today on race course between 11 and 5ish. I hope to get up there before 2. Any volunteers welcome. Depending on how many or how ambitious, we may be able to get things open enough for people to start using.

serviceguy

Another long day at work, I had to be in the city at 6:00 a.m. and just got out. I'm gutted I could not make it, I would love to see that trail done before the winter!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
New section of trail on race trail is open, but more finish work will be done over the next few weeks. This Thursday mid day is on for work.

There have been some complaints and concerns from a small group of mountain bikers. Just clarifying here that the reason for re-routes was to upgrade to sustainable standards when repair was not possible ( bad alignment ). Much of old trail was showing early signs of erosion. It also did not comply with 50% rule and had gotten really wide in spots as people started to ride where they could to avoid sections that had lost soil and become very rocky. The 50% rule is that trail grade should not accede 50% of side hill grade. When it does, water flows down trail and takes away soil leaving a low or cupped trail. This is science and not about social habits or ride ability. Two of the 3 mini re-routes were actually re-routes of re-routes. So technically, the old trail was less than 15 years old and already starting to show early signs of erosion from trail layout. Much of what we know today about trail building was learned in 2009 after those 2005 re-routes. The race trail, as bike specific, is our priority to update and maintain in th eyes of the park. We think this is in the best interest for mountain bike access. Science has been evolving and we too learn from experience. We have learned that bench cut trails keep riders on trails and discourage quads. More information is available to us now, and we humbly accept that and wish to move forward.

Also, as much as we love rocks and tech, we have become more about being inclusive and want to encourage the next generation and future stewards. We do take feedback from many mountain bikers, hikers, trail runners, Jorba staff , park staff and state level staff. We can not please everyone with every trail, but we try to create enough diversity to keep all happy. So, we encourage anyone interested in becoming a trail steward, to get involved. Art and I will not be around forever, and we would love to help some new blood get started.

Last edited:

BPaze

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their work, I finally got over to 6 bridges and wow that is such a great trail. I rode it 3 or 4 years ago and it was such a mess. It is very leaf covered so lost the trail a couple times but it was great even hit a couple of those awesome drops.

thank you for all your hard work

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
A big thanks to Tom and James for building and installing the new bridge over by 6 bridges. It is great to see that part of the park getting some love and more use. Thanks to all the volunteers that helped out especially during pandemic times. There is no doubt that the park has been very active and it is great to have more sections drawing attention to help spread out the volume.

I would also like to thank the MTBNJ family for being an above and beyond partner with Jorba to help get the word out. This has been very helpful on a non festival year during the pandemic to promote communication online.

Thanks! Hope to see you out on the trails in the spring.

JSS

For anyone like me wondering about the new pink blazes, I found this post on the NY-NJ Trail Conference Website:

Apparently hikers have been getting lost in Ringwood, so they created a pink loop (mostly on previously existing trails) that brings hikers back to the Botanical Garden. Some sections of the pink loop overlap with the white trail, so be prepared to see more hikers when riding those sections.

serviceguy

For anyone like me wondering about the new pink blazes, I found this post on the NY-NJ Trail Conference Website:

Apparently hikers have been getting lost in Ringwood, so they created a pink loop (mostly on previously existing trails) that brings hikers back to the Botanical Garden. Some sections of the pink loop overlap with the white trail, so be prepared to see more hikers when riding those sections.
I noticed the new blazes while hiking. This is consistent with my first hand experience of having to provide directions to multiple hikers during each ride on how to return to the parking lot. They usually appeared confused by my first question 'what parking lot did you start from'?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, this has been happening everywhere. Covid hikers are unable to navigate a loop hike if it involves following more than one blazed trail.
Those same people could tell you where every Spencer's is in every Mall in NJ though.

serviceguy

Full disclosure, I did not notice the new blazes, my wife pointed out that she liked because they were pink...I was like 'pink blazes? never seen them before...'

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions