Ringwood State Park Trail Projects 2021

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
We are in the process of inspectiong and sorting through potential trail projects for 2021, so no trail work days on the schedule yet. However, we just received approval from the park for a re-route on Cooper Union Trail at it's most northern terminus. If you have not been over there, it is a long eroded fire road straight up the mountain just east of Stateline Trail. This project does have a deadline from Trenton, so we hope to get build dates and repair work dates scheduled soon.

Work Dates:

Every Thursday 4pm

July 10, Saturday 8:30 am Cooper Union Trail north end

August 15, Sunday 8:30 am Cooper Union Trail north end

September 11, Saturday

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
We got a good chunk of planning done this week, and are ready to put shovels in the ground. However, Art's bike that he uses to pull the tool trailer is in the shop. As soon as that is back, or we figure out how to get tools in, we will post up some dates. Should be soon.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Art was in the park Friday clearing deadfall with TC sawyer and repaired a mucky spot on race course. It has rained a bit since, so it may be soft still. We will be back this week to re tamp if necessary.

Dirty Thursdays will start June 10, weather permitting. I have started another thread just for Thursdays. We may move around for a few weeks doing repairs before we start the big re-route project.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Art has been out working and addressed a few more muddy spots on Crossover below Shperherds Lake Rd, including the 2 wet spots down by the causeway and the one just above the sewer line. They may need a few days to dry out after the rain, but hopefully they will harden up like rock for next mud season.

We plan to start Cooper Union North re-route tomorrow. The new section is about a 3/4 mile long section of side hill trail that will climb 250 feet up from the the end of Stateline trail to where it will join the existing Cooper Union Trail. Check Dirty Thursday thread for scheduled work days.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Construction on Cooper Union north has begun. We have a few hundred feet of trail started. We just added some weekend work dates to the volunteer schedule. If you want to come out and help, our next weekend day is Saturday July 10 at 8:30 am.

Meet at lot on the end of Long Meadow rd ( at intersection with Sloatsburg Rd ) at 8:30 am. Plan to either ride or walk a mile to work site. If lot is full, there is another lot on Eagle Valley Rd just 100 ft away. We will work until around 12:30, but you are free to leave early or come late.

Wear sturdy shoes and bring gloves if you have them. Make sure you also bring plenty of water to drink. Tools will be provided. Heavy or steady rain cancels. RSVP recommended. ellenart82@gmail.com

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Excited to report that Trenton has approved our most recently submitted proposal to re-route a section of Ringwood-Ramapo Trail near the school. For those that ride from the school, there is a long eroded section of Ringwood-Ramapo Tr going up towards catsnest and six bridges that is wide and eroded. We plan to re-route that section starting in November. Volunteers would be welcomed.

In the mean time, we are still plugging away on Cooper-Union Trail re-route at the north end of the park. We are approximately 1/3 of the way built, going up the hill. Volunteers welcome every Thursday 4pm and Sunday August 15 8:30 am.

serviceguy

Sending a big thanks out to: Steve, Sandy, James, Tom and Art for lending a hand last Wednesday and Sunday on Cooper Union Tr Re-route. You guys moved some major rock and dirt!
Ah, saw the post on facebook too late to join., sorry. Bump for Dirty Thursday, is it going to happen today? I'm not going to be able and make it, again, stuck in NYC at work since 6 a.m. ...yawn!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
There will be a trail build session on Saturday September 11 on Cooper Union north. Meet at end of Long Meadow Rd lot at 8:30 or at work site around 9:00. Volunteers welcome. Wear sturdy shoes. Tools will be provided.

Also NYNJTC palisades trail crew will be assisting with the build on Cooper Union on Monday Sept 13. Volunteers welcome to work side by side. They will be out there from 9 am to 4 pm. Volunteer welcome for any portion of the day.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
We are very close to completing the Cooper Union Reroute. Markers are going up and weather permitting, old trail will be closed in the next few weeks. Please check it out. It makes a nice loop option with State Line Trail.

Watch the calendar for work dates on the upcoming Ringwood-Ramapo Tr re-route project. Ringwood Trail Crew expect to break ground on that project soon. The section of trail being re-routed is the section of eroded road between Reyerson School and six bridges area. The project is fully approved by the state and will greatly improve the south end of the park with sustainable single track. The proposed rerouted trail will be 100% single track combination of side hill trail and rock gardens. We are hoping for a late summer to fall 2022 completion, but that all depends on weather and you (our volunteers). If you ride Ringwood, and want to get involved, please consider coming out to help. Thanks!

serviceguy

We are very close to completing the Cooper Union Reroute. Markers are going up and weather permitting, old trail will be closed in the next few weeks. Please check it out. It makes a nice loop option with State Line Trail.

Watch the calendar for work dates on the upcoming Ringwood-Ramapo Tr re-route project. Ringwood Trail Crew expect to break ground on that project soon. The section of trail being re-routed is the section of eroded road between Reyerson School and six bridges area. The project is fully approved by the state and will greatly improve the south end of the park with sustainable single track. The proposed rerouted trail will be 100% single track combination of side hill trail and rock gardens. We are hoping for a late summer to fall 2022 completion, but that all depends on weather and you (our volunteers). If you ride Ringwood, and want to get involved, please consider coming out to help. Thanks!
Great news. Is there a calendar already in place for this project?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

I hiked the new section today with my dog. Nice work as always. You guys are fast!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went and checked out the new section today, and it was unsurprisingly excellent. I don't think I've ever been up on that part of Cooper Union before, and I wasn't really sure where it would dump me out, so I climbed the new connector and then figured it out. It's nice to have an additional loop over there and not have to do a total out and back.

The section of trail being re-routed is the section of eroded road between Reyerson School and six bridges area.

This is awesome news!

bucknejo

Rode this section today, it's awesome. Saw a rafter of turkeys at the lookout point and they didn't even get mad at me when I stopped to enjoy the view, so pretty cool day altogether.

Thanks to everyone who makes this stuff possible.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions