Ringwood Fall Classic -

R

reihl_deal

So I've been considering registering for the ringwood fall classic, but I've never raced before. I'm 22 years old (i'll actually turn 23 the day of the race which could be good luck?) and I'm in great physical shape. I dont have a lot of mountain time under my tires because I live in hoboken right now and can't get to my hometown of west milford to ride very often with my current work schedule / grad school. I was just wondering a few things about what happens at a typical race....

When you register do they give you an idea of what the course is going to be ahead of time or do you go into it blindly? (i'm assuming blindly)

How many riders on average usually start a race simultaneously?

What are my chances at being completely embarrassed?

How technical are typical beginner course climbs?....I've ridden some pretty technical stuff in ringwood and found myself doing a bit of walking up some of those oh so lovely rock gardenish climbs.

Any other newbs also thinking about doing this race want to start riding together in ringwood to try and learn the trails and get more time under our tires?

BiknBen

reihl_deal said:
I was just wondering a few things about what happens at a typical race....

When you register do they give you an idea of what the course is going to be ahead of time or do you go into it blindly?
The RVCC crew often has a map of the course on an easel. The course is often marked the day before the race. You can pre-ride the course once it is marked. Some racers will do a lap the morning of the race.

reihl_deal said:
How many riders on average usually start a race simultaneously?
It could be anywhere between 10 and 30 riders. The Beginner classes are typically on the small side.

reihl_deal said:
What are my chances at being completely embarrassed?
No one but you will care. We don't stand around waiting to mock the slowest riders.

reihl_deal said:
How technical are typical beginner course climbs?....
It is not unusual to be forced to walk portions or the course. If you end up having to stop while on a climb, you may have to walk to a flatter section before jumping back on. There is no shame in this.

lou_b_83

I did the race last year and it was my first. I only had 2 months of riding under my belt. It is a great race. There are some some long climbs but nothing a newb can't do. I will be doing again this year in the beginner 19-29. See you there.:getsome:

But really just do it is a great race.

xc62701

Just do it!!! It's a great race put on by especially great people. I'm hoping to do it as I'm doing a triathlon at Greenwood Lake in the morning and then hoping to get to ringwood in time for my start. It should be an interesting day. :D

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Definitely show up and race. Racing is a blast. There's no way you can be embarrased. Unless you plow down a hill at unsafe speeds and bounce into other riders, crashing the one guy who happens to be yoru friends and nearly killing him. But that doesn't all that often. Just head to bikereg and pre-register and ride as much as you can, mountain or road, in advance. day of the race show up in light clothing (even if its 50-something) and bring a water bottle or camelbak and race!

By the way, 20-29 Beginner will mostly likely have around 15-20 guys go off at the gun.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm hoping to do it as I'm doing a triathlon at Greenwood Lake in the morning and then hoping to get to ringwood in time for my start. It should be an interesting day. :D

You is crazy Ryan (insert smiley for crazy here)!!

-Jim.

xc62701

You is crazy Ryan (insert smiley for crazy here)!!

-Jim.

Hahaha yea a little crazy. The tri goes off at 8:30 or shortly there after and should take about an hour and a half so if I get out of there by 11:30 I should have enough time to get to Ringwood at 12 and warmup and go off at 12:30. It might be a little tight but it's doable...

Mare

Just do it!!! It's a great race put on by especially great people. I'm hoping to do it as I'm doing a triathlon at Greenwood Lake in the morning and then hoping to get to ringwood in time for my start. It should be an interesting day. :D

Holy cr@p!

Although from what I understand, this is nothing for you.

scotth

This will be my first race, I'll be 35 in December so I think I have to enter the senior class. Where did the time go. Take Care

Scott

Sprintzer

will someone put the link for the race series. i do things the easy way. I remember taking my last bike to ringwood last year and getting wicked lost. some hunter was like, dont go that way. uh thanks budy. i want to do this race too. i am 30 and a runner by unfortunate choice trying to transition to mtb. usually up at waway but getting bored with it.

Mare

will someone put the link for the race series. i do things the easy way. I remember taking my last bike to ringwood last year and getting wicked lost. some hunter was like, dont go that way. uh thanks budy. i want to do this race too. i am 30 and a runner by unfortunate choice trying to transition to mtb. usually up at waway but getting bored with it.

http://h2hrace.com/

R

reihl_deal

k i've been convinced....and knowing my personality, i'll be seeing all of you a lot more often after this race. (hopefully)....finishing up my masters this spring then i'll have a lot more free time for riding and racing.....still competing in college track and field in winter/spring so i'm getting a late start this season but will be starting up again once may starts.

thanks for the support. i really just didn't know what to expect but now i'm pumped

secondspeed02

Tris ??

Ryans, doing TWO tris - the first one at Greenlake and second one hoping in car off to Ringwood race..

I just hope Ryan eats his wheaties!!!

yeah good luck on both races man (no joke)

xc62701

Ryans, doing TWO tris - the first one at Greenlake and second one hoping in car off to Ringwood race..

I just hope Ryan eats his wheaties!!!

yeah good luck on both races man (no joke)

Well not two tris. One tri at greenwood and then the mtb race at ringwood.

So lets see that'll be a:
1/2 mile swim followed by
17 mile road bike followed by
4 mile run followed by
commute to ringwood followed by
27 mile mtb ride.
Sounds like an epic day ;)

Wheaties...I don't need no wheaties...Count Chocula on the other hand!

Top Bottom