riding while sick?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
its the time of year where illnesses are being passed around my work and i have just been slammed with a solid chest cold. it got me wondering - how sick is too sick to ride? do you head out when you are back to feeling 100%, or will you ride when you just feel 'better' in comparison to the worst of whatever you have been going through? or do you just not care and head out with the runs of the nose and shorts coupled with a 103 degree fever?

xc62701

I follow a pretty common idea. If the cold is in your head go and play. If it makes it's way into your chest then you're best to rest until it's gone. A fever of any sort I'd be weary of. Rest and get better.

walter

Fourth Party
The last week of October I was sick and my doctor put me on antibiotics. Cough, fever, sore throat, stuffy/runny nose etc. Felt like total dog balls for a while. Started feeling better after a few days on the meds and decided to go riding up at MD on probably the coldest day of the season so far. I could tell on my ride home it wasn't a good idea to ride. Now more than two weeks later I still have a cough, stuffy nose and aches and pains.

Take the time to rest. I agree with Ryan, if it's just a stuffy/runny nose, and you feel up to it go for a ride. Anything more I would take it easy.

frickster

I usually take it easy the first few days of illness and skip the daily gym and won't resume if still feeling feverish. I don't think it's ever a good idea to exercise with fever and illness-related aches and pains. Non-severe head cold is probably ok, chest congestion is ok if it doesn't make you easily short of breath. Often, once the acute illness is gone, you are left with a chronic cough and chest congestion that can last weeks, and it is ok to be exercising during this time, again provided you do not easily become short of breath. People are very often incorrectly diagnosed with 'mild pneumonia' or a 'sinus infection' and started inappropriately on antibiotics for their viral infection (which is not treatable with antibiotics) which to their suprise seems not to get better on the antibiotics -- and they are correct!!

Having said all that, if there is any question in your mind whether you have something more than a routine viral upper respiratory infection, you should go see your doctor. I would tell you to make it very clear to your doctor that you do not want to be put on antibiotics if he/she truly believes your illness is viral in origin and not bacterial. In doing this, hopefully you can avoid having yourself unecessarily put on antibiotics (which have their own potentially serious side effects). FYI -- Most of the doctors I have worked with think that patients are only happy if they leave the office with an antibiotic prescription. I don't believe this is really the case and most patients would prefer an honest opinion and it is part of a physician's role to educate patients about illness and proper treatment. Of course, there are a few patients who want nothing less than antibiotics at the first sign of a sniffle and cannot be educated -- try not to be one of those!
Hope that all helps
Glen (M.D.)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was sick a few weeks ago and actually went to the doc (which I usually dont). She said if it is in your chest, stay away but head colds are fine as long as there is no fever.

BiknBen

I tend to agree with Ryan. Above the neck is okay.

In the last few years, I've ended up with a sinus infection instead of a chest cold. :rolleyes: I can't win.

I wouldn't ride if I had the classic flu symptoms like fever, chills, sweats, aches, etc.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've had a chest cold for three days now and i'm really struggling. every morning i've woken up feeling like i rode in 20* weather for the first time.

Mare

If you have any doubts and you decide to go out and try pedaling, you will know if you should be heading home - if you feel awful (fever, weakness, etc) and think you are screwing yourself up more, you probably are. When in doubt, start off easy and listen to your body's cues instead of just thinking "I should be riding".

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
that's the thing...i want to be riding but don't think i should be.

but i really need to scope out my loop for sunday am. :(

rocknrollgirl

When in doubt, leave it out....

I think if you have to ask, you already know the answer. We follow the neck up rule in our house too. If it is in your chest, do not go. Missing a few rides this time of year will not sink the ship.

Feel better. We have the same thing in our house right now too. I am felling better, Chris is still coughing.

Ruth

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
its the time of year where illnesses are being passed around my work and i have just been slammed with a solid chest cold. it got me wondering - how sick is too sick to ride? do you head out when you are back to feeling 100%, or will you ride when you just feel 'better' in comparison to the worst of whatever you have been going through? or do you just not care and head out with the runs of the nose and shorts coupled with a 103 degree fever?

Other than a fever, I'll keep riding. If I was waiting to feel 100%, I wouldn't have ridden in the past 2 years.;)

jimjo

stay inside until you feel better
unless being inside is acutally making you feel worse than your cold.

Mare

Other than a fever, I'll keep riding. If I was waiting to feel 100%, I wouldn't have ridden in the past 2 years.;)

Good point. If I rode only when I felt good (outside of the cold/flu topic), I would NEVER ride. I always feel better after my rides and am glad I did them.

Top Bottom