Riding when starting to get sick.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My 18 month old was sneezing and dripping snot all over the other day and now my wife is super congested and appears to have a head cold. Since two days ago I have had a touch of a scratchy throat but otherwise seem ok and I didn't ride yesterday because of work. Am I dumb to ride today, even if it is just for an hour?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The "common wisdom" is that if you're sick from the neck up, you're good to good. Neck down, stay off the bike.

Having said that you need to know yourself. Do you know how you react to a pre-cold like this? Will you make yourself more sick? Will 1 extra ride knock you out for 3 extra days?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Having said that you need to know yourself. Do you know how you react to a pre-cold like this? Will you make yourself more sick? Will 1 extra ride knock you out for 3 extra days?

I have always been the type to just continue doing whatever through colds unless they are really bad, but I have not paid enough attention in the past to make a good call if I extend the sickness by doing this. Guess I will see how I feel later, although it is almost perfect weather out there today...

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Rag weed will be very bad due to the temp., rain, and CO2 levels. Even folks who normaly don't suffer, will.

Stocky

I know for me head cold or chest cold, unless I'm so sick that I've been in bed all day I still try to make my weekly ice hockey game.
I almost always feel better after playing, weather it's just a mental thing or maybe you're sweating some of that cold out of ya . It's usually tough to get my ass to the game, but once I get going I tend to forget that I was feeling so crappy just an hour earlier.

I say ride !

MTB Aussie

First sign of a cold I jam down the V-C, Echinechea and Zinc and head out for a ride. I find it helps ward it off. OTOH, if you have been training really hard you have put your body into a state of weakness and your immune system is a little lower than usual so you are susceptible to catching it. So I guess if you haven't been riding get out there, if you have been hammering hard rest a little. I think there are some allergens in the air right now since I have been a little scratchy but don't think it is a cold.

On the back end of a cold, i think riding is great when you are getting over it since all that hard breathing gives you the opportunity to hack out the bad stuff, and where else can you just spit without care!

(fake) Dr. Aussie

Disclaimer:
all medical recommendations are made from a position of absolutely no professional knowledge, mostly just hearsay, wives tales, myths and legends. No guarantee or responsibility taken if you damage your bike while riding with a head cold. If you hurt yourself or get worse, that's your own darn fault.

D

DANSPANK

You'll be shocked but I'm not a doctor so my advise is likely complete BS. My unfounded wisdom is that if you get your heart rate up then you're pumping more blood around to firstly attack and bad guys in your system, and secondly carry that crap out of your cells and into your kidneys to get it out of your body.

If I physically feel I can do it (so this doesn't work with physical injuries) then I ride/go the gym and ALWAYS feel better afterwards. It is the best cure for hangovers too!

It seems to work for me - I haven't been sick for more than 15 years.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah, most of the time my colds tail off after 14.5 years too.

:rofl: that is some funny snizzle. So how does he comments on exercising when getting sick, if he has not been sick in 15 years?:hmmm:

Stocky

I forgot to mention as soon as I feel a cold coming on ,it's a strict liquid diet of cherry Nyquil.
Always does the trick.

Top Bottom