Riding Pants

walter

Fourth Party
For the winter, I have been looking at buying a pair of riding pants. I dont like to wear tights so I have been looking into some stuff like MX type pants or BMX type stuff. Axo, Fox, troy Lee all have some interesting stuff, as well as the Race Face Indy pant. I want something not to bulky, with a tapered ankle that I can wear a pair of thermals underneath. MtbdawgJeff has those Kona pants, but they are discontinued and I cant find any remainders in my size.

If anyone has any experience with any of the above or any other suggestions, pros/cons, feel free to throw them into the mix.

Thank you all
walter

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
How about tights under baggies?

Or you can rock some long johns and look like Eddie Vedder in 1991.:hmmm:

walter

Fourth Party
How about tights under baggies?

Or you can rock some long johns and look like Eddie Vedder in 1991.:hmmm:

Thats what I have been doing. I have a pair of Azonic freeride shorts that are heavy duty, and I usually just wear thermals under them. Then I was thinking of just adding knee warmers, but then it just becomes to much to layer and stuff to keep adjusting. Since I got the Lake booties from Jdog, I was looking for something that could be worn outside and over the top of the boot.

I think I saw Eddie Vedder pumping gas at the Hess by me the other day.:)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I go for tights under baggies too, my knees don't get too cold. I never thought about DH/BMX pants :hmmm:

J-Dro

I do like my Kona pants... Ironically the only piece of bike clothing given to me by my wife that I actually like. Shhh don't tell her.

But I'd say the RaceFace Indy pants look pretty much the same. You could wear them alone on cool days and wear tights or long undies underneath them when the mercury really dips. Personally I'd recommend tights underneath since they have the chamois built in. But they have velcro strips on the lower legs to allow easy access to winter shoes.

Have we ever discussed winter riding shoes in here? :rolleyes:

walter

Fourth Party
I do like my Kona pants... Ironically the only piece of bike clothing given to me by my wife that I actually like. Shhh don't tell her.

But I'd say the RaceFace Indy pants look pretty much the same. You could wear them alone on cool days and wear tights or long undies underneath them when the mercury really dips. Personally I'd recommend tights underneath since they have the chamois built in. But they have velcro strips on the lower legs to allow easy access to winter shoes.

Have we ever discussed winter riding shoes in here? :rolleyes:

Jeff, the Race Face pants have a velcro bottom?

J-Dro

Jeff, the Race Face pants have a velcro bottom?

Now that you mention it I'm not positive. The Jenson website says "Velcro closure on the bottom cuff eliminates pants 'catching' on your drive train" but that might not be the same vertical velcro strip that I was thinking. It looks like they have lower leg zippers and a velcro strap at the cuff.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I come from the BMX realm also and I rock the tights and baggies, if you want you can pretend they look like baggies and shin gaurd circa 1996.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i went through this same thing last year. on most days i go tights under my baggies. BUT, for those really cold days i have a pair of tapered, not too tight, not too baggy sportif (i think?) pants. i don't know if they're mtb specific or not but i've taken a couple spills in them and they did just fine. nice and warm too. i'll check the name later. actually, i better check to see if they even fit my not so fat arse anymore. :eek:

Sircrashalot

I rode last winter down to like 11 degrees in MSR motocross racing pants left over from my dirt-biking days. They worked great.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
35+ shorts
20-35 knickers with or without shorts of some kind over them to keep the boys warm.
20 and below, winter tights with or without shorts. i've done this down to -8, -22 with windchill. i'll probably be doing it in much colder temps this february.... :getsome:

walter

Fourth Party
I rode last winter down to like 11 degrees in MSR motocross racing pants left over from my dirt-biking days. They worked great.

Thats what I was looking to get, something like tha AXO Nickels. The Race Face Indy pants look like they may be a bit to baggy, the MX style pants seem to be a bit more form fitting, but still a bit relaxed. I havent had any issues with my current set up(baggies and thermals), just looking for a bit more.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Hey Walt,

I pesonally wear the Gore Bike Wear Bib Knickers and tall sox most of the winter. If you want a full pant I would look at the long baggieish pant from:

Craft
Gore Bike Wear
and Endura

I don't stock Endura but I do like some of their designs.

peas

j-

Frank

Sasquatch
I've kept warm with my old DH Fox(BMX) pants with thermals underneath and grape smuggler shorts. The plastic pads on the outside of the pants also help block the wind. I have windfront tights, but they never seem to be enough. I think the key is to layer up to stay dry and warm.

Minotaur

I'm thinking sweat pants with thermals underneath and dry fit skivvies under all that. I'm concerned about the bagginess of the legs of the sweatpants, but I could probably use something like squatter's wraps around my calfs.

hooples3

Crossroad pant

I just picked up a pair of these last week. It was 45 degrees last week when i rode. They are thin pants but they kept me warm on the trails, they we a little cool just walking with them. Best thing is you can fit tights or even base layer pants/thermals under them. They are for biking so they have a tapered leg with Velcro.
I bought them last week on sale for $19.99, it looks like they are back up to $29.99
I just got a web coupon in my email for 10% off feel free to use it. I like these pants a lot

coupon : (when checking out) WLC8104

xc62701

I picked up a set of Pearl Izumi AmFib tights at Campmor that are pretty sweet. The front is windstop and they are nice and warm. I usually wear knickers or shorts with leg warmers down to 30 and below I'll wear the windstop pants. That and a few pealable layers for the top and you're good to go. I've got Izumi lobster gloves so the digits are warm but I just need a set of winter shoes. I saw a pair of Sidi winter shoes at campmor as well just gotta get some $$$ for them.

S

Shar0se

warm gloves

slightly off topic but any thoughts on warm gloves? I'm talking the warmest gloves you can think of! My fingers literally turn white in the cold so I'm at risk for frostbite much more so than the overage person.

Top Bottom