Riding Packs/Hip Packs

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Small review of the Bontrager waist pack:

Pros:
-Always felt pretty comfortable, hardly noticed it was there. I did have to figure out the right amount of tightness, I first had it too snug and realized it was better less than that. Didn't feel like it was bouncing around.
-No back sweat
-No bag pain
-Easy to access. Middle pocket is for a water bottle and that's where I kept my second bottle. Two side pockets I swivel the whole thing so the pocket is accessible from my side.
-Can be part of a great halloween outfit of dorky rail trail rider.

Cons:
-Two side pockets are on the smaller side. They stretch but if I had to fit a lot of stuff it could be an issue. I'd say I wouldn't use this pack for long adventures but the truth was, it wasn't an issue riding in Sedona
-Middle pocket holds the bottle very securely. Only issue I had is outside of the middle pockets are straps in case you shove something in like a small jacket without a water bottle. You have to make sure you don't put the water bottle there and not in the pocket, otherwise it can fall out. Not going to fit much more than the basic CO2/Tool/Tube/Single-Food-Bar
-I have a slight concern of the water bottle being over my spine, in case I fall. It is very comfortable in that spot however.
-Can make you look like a dorky rail trail rider.

I also hate using my Camelback. I prefer drinking out of water bottles. I use Nuun style tablets and don't want to use them in a bladder. I find it easier to fill and manage bottles. I wash mine after every use too.

The only time I grab the camelback is in the winter when I know I'm dealing with layers, and even then I tend to just toss a water bottle in the middle pocket of my camelback as opposed to bringing the bladder.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
20170424_130431.jpg
Uesd 4 times and found the pocket stiching unraveling.
3 emails and have not heard a response.
Somebody got back to me through FB messenger and said it looks like a warranty issue.
No shit!

Reactions: rlb

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
So I’ve gone on a couple rides with the Hipster (it is a stupid name) and I like it. For 2-3 hour rides its perfect, for an all-day epic, I’ll be using my Camelbak because it holds more water. I was able to fit the full bladder, 27.5 tube, 2 CO2 cartridges, Jorba Park tool, a chain tool, tire levers, iPhone, keys with no problem (in the compartment behind the bladder). I haven’t used the shoulder harness because it kind of defeats the purpose, but the pack stays put, even on rough trails and over decent sized drops and jumps. There is a bit of a learning curve on the first ride just to adjust everything to your liking, but halfway through the ride, I stopped thinking about it altogether like it wasn’t there. The cons of this thing (aside from the name) are the weak magnet and bite valve. The magnet hasn’t come undone on me yet, but it does not hold as well as the one on the Camelbak. The bite valve is over-engineered and doesn’t release a whole lot of water, you have to bite it just right (insert joke here) also to get things going. If it’s really hot out, hydrate often. I need to see if the Camelbak bite valve fits on this thing.

Reactions: rlb

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
attack-on-titan-male-harness.jpg

Just checked in to this thread,... the reference made me smile.

Top Bottom