Riding Near Princeton

SpartaBard

Clayton is fun. Closer to Great Adventure though. I would imagine 6 mile is near there, or at least in the same ballpark.

I'll be in the Princeton area next Friday, and was looking for some trail recommendations.

Well, a couple of options present themselves. Mercer County Park is probably the closest to the general Princeton area, the trails are flat, fast, and fun. You could also try Washington Crossing State Park, about 15-20 minutes outside of Princeton to the South. Six Mile Run is also in the vicinity, about 15-20 minutes to the north by way of Route 27/Nassau Street.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i need to kill some time while my wife is in a conference. i may check out mercer since it is the closest park.

how well are the trails marked? do you have any recommended loops?

the trails are so-so as far as marking is concerned. I would offer to ride with you but I will be in NYC after work. Here is my reco for the ride:

Park in the West Picnic Area. This is where most riders usually park, you may meet up with some people who can show you around. West Picnic has some playground stuff, picnic tables and grills. Directly behind the picnic area is a clearcut for power lines. This is where you will access the trails. Ride the clear cut in the direction heading away from the lake. On the right side of the clear cut look for trails that duck into the woods. You'll see some red dots painted on a tree next to a large log pile - enter here. The trails break off into other side loops that eventually meet the main trail, but if you stay straight and to the left you'll be OK. After 10 minutes you'll ride into a little ditch up and down and then hit some sand piles that local young BMX riders built. Keep going straight until you cross the asphalt, ride across it and back into the woods. The lake will be straight ahead - continue on following the trail and the lakeshore to the left (keep lake on your right). you'll ride out of the woods into a little field, over a small hill which is part of the wing on the dam, and back into a narrow sandy trail. Take your third right back into the wooded area - from here is is pretty much self guiding. you'll ride for a bit over a few stream crossings and wind your way back to the back side of the lake and up a steep but small hill (top of the dam).

From the top of the dam, you can ride the dam back to where you crossed it the first time and go back the way you came, or you can descend the dam hill and ride back into a network of trails (the entrance can be spotted fairly easily, you'll see a little trail in the grass from other riders, leading you right to it). I would suggest you take this route, its fun, lots of logs and its twisty.

you'll come out near where you entered the woods again after the first dam crossing. From there, you enter The Maze. I have no clearcut directions for navigating the maze. When you get back to where you entered the woods after riding over the dam, look for trails on the other side of the woods and just start riding. It is tight, twisty, and if your handlebars are very wide you might find them catching up between saplings growing two feet apart from each other on the sides of the trail. But it is fun riding. The Maze will dump you back out near the trails by the clear cut. you can ride the other side of the lake also after this - go back near where you parked and ride the lake shore (with lake to your left) until you get into a wooded area again. Look for a wider hardpack trail to your right and enter the woods again. There is just one trail so far as I remember so just ride it until the mud gets too thick and the trees obscure anything that looks like a trail. That is where the trail runs out, more or less, and it is time to turn back.

have fun! wish I could join you. If you like it and ever find yourself in the Princeton area again and want to ride, let me know.

Shaggz

A strong 7
JGR: thank you, this is the type of stuff I was hoping for :D. Make a note not to ask Brad for trail info when you come up north - he will only point you to a trail link and say he feels like a moderator :wedgie:

JGR: thank you, this is the type of stuff I was hoping for :D. Make a note not to ask Brad for trail info when you come up north - he will only point you to a trail link and say he feels like a moderator :wedgie:

No danger of that. Part of the fun of riding new places is Trail Recon. I like to get lost just so I can find myself again.

have fun and let me know how you fare.

ArmyOfNone

Six mile is 15 minutes from Princeton, baring there is no traffic. If you want to go early morning or later in the afternoon/evening I have no problem taking you on a tour.

If conditions arent 100% I know a few road loops if your interested.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thanks! Her course goes from 8:30-5:30, and I'll do a conditions check on Thursday. I will prolly stick w/mercer since it's been on my "to do" list for a while. I do want to hit 6 mile later this spring.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, with 9 hours I would say do Mercer, 6 Mile, and Sourlands all in one fell swoop. Do Sourlands last, and bring a videographer.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Wow, with 9 hours I would say do Mercer, 6 Mile, and Sourlands all in one fell swoop. Do Sourlands last, and bring a videographer.

This is the first time Mrs. Shaggz and I have been away, sans children, in some time. At the very lest, I need enough energy to make it through dinner - ;).

PedalPaddles

What is the status of mt biking in Washington's Crossing Park? I thought the trails were off limit to bikes? I work down the street from there and would like to try it if I can get away with it...I mean if it is legal. wink wink

The road riding in this area is really good too.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I plan on borrowing Norm's pumps and tassels. If they catch me, I'll say, "I know Fred, so go back to eating donuts, Pig."

What is the status of mt biking in Washington's Crossing Park? I thought the trails were off limit to bikes? I work down the street from there and would like to try it if I can get away with it...I mean if it is legal. wink wink

The road riding in this area is really good too.

True that. The ride on 29 along the Delaware River is fantastic and following 579 up from Frenchtown is a treat.

But I digress. Parts of WX are open for mountain biking, the trails are marked with little plastic discs with bicycles on them. Stop in the main office for a map and info. I've never had a problem riding there as long as I stick to the trails on which riding is permitted. I have not been there riding since last summer, so some trails may have been closed or the use parameters changed.

Top Bottom