Riding in the rain?

skipper

This weather sucks, but I'm off the next two days and am really itching to ride, let alone get out of the house! I've ridden before in the rain, but never actually went and loaded up my bike on my truck while getting wet....I feel like a little bit crazy...

..or am I?

:popcorn:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Noooooo.jpg

dont ruin the trails!

skipper

wellll, I'd only stay on the main trails that are rarely affected by the rain.

but yes, you're absolutely correct. maybe i'll go for a run

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
most of the trails probably aren't in too bad condition as we didnt get much rain. just ride and tell people you didn't.

smufguy

oye there skipper, why not take your bike and ride it on the road instead, like me. Its safer too since there are probably too many leaves on the trails. I take my bike on the road, its a bitch the way the mtb is geared than a roadie, but you still get out, ride and have fun.
:popcorn:

Rain?

Perfect weather for a MUTANT ride!!!

Find a destination that serves killer coffee, food or beer (or all three)....then plot a course to that place whereby you maximizes the off-road experience (via paths, parks, back alleys, or dirt-road routes) ... then get geared up for foul weather, get at least one buddy, and go have a blast riding it!!!
(Just make sure the off-road routes will stand up to your bike's tires and not create muddy tracks... there are plenty of these routes in Central Jersey where you'd virtually leave no trace).

I find these rides to be among the most gratifying, mainly because you're refusing to succumb to the rain, and refusing to ride just the roads...

It's also the perfect opportunity to pull that old klunker down from the rafters, and slap on a new set of fat slicks... perfect for this kind of riding.

Have fun, and stay thirsy, my friends...

BB

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I haven't ridden my mountain bike in the rain.... but I remember the very first time riding my motorcycle in the rain (unplanned of course). I quickly came to the stunning realization that motorcycle helmets don't have wiper blades :D

Does this affect you roadies as well? I guess it's a bit different, and probably easier to wipe your shades off... it's just a random thought I had :hmmm:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't ridden my mountain bike in the rain.... but I remember the very first time riding my motorcycle in the rain (unplanned of course). I quickly came to the stunning realization that motorcycle helmets don't have wiper blades :D

Does this affect you roadies as well? I guess it's a bit different, and probably easier to wipe your shades off... it's just a random thought I had :hmmm:

seeing where you're going is for wusses

BiknBen

I have no issues going for a road ride in the rain so I've dealt with this often enough. If I am alone, I will remove my glasses. If I know I'm going to get wet, I wear a cycling cap under my helmet. The brim does an adequate job of keeping the rain drops out of the eyes. You learn to see through your eye brows a little too. (tip head down while looking up)

I have also done plenty of wet road races and group rides. That is completely different. You end up drenched from the spray of wheels ahead of you. It is much worse than rain because it is dirty water. In those instances, I wear glasses and just struggle to see through the lenses. I've been known to intentionally ride in the spray of water just to get drops on my glasses to move. :eek:

Last edited:

skipper

ended up going for a nice 5 mile run. i hate rain. love the snow, can't wait for it. looking forward to having a couple days off and then seeing it rain like this really blows :cry:

Top Bottom