Riding in Richmond, VA

kbajaj

Hi!
I am going to be in Richmond area for Thanksgiving and planning on bringing the bike along to explore some local trails.
Any recommendations?
thanks!!

James River is right in town and awesome. Pocahontas is fun as well. You cant go wrong with either, and they are both on Trailforks.

What KenS said.

If you're in Richmond proper, do the full loop through the city. It's pretty neat how it goes through the city on both sides of the river. Very easy to navigate.

Pocahontas has some awesome trails and is ~20 minutes south of the city.

Outpost Richmond is probably the best bike shop (south of James River) to ask anyone anything.

Get breakfast at Millie's. That alone would be worth the drive down.

What KenS said.

If you're in Richmond proper, do the full loop through the city. It's pretty neat how it goes through the city on both sides of the river. Very easy to navigate.

Pocahontas has some awesome trails and is ~20 minutes south of the city.

Outpost Richmond is probably the best bike shop (south of James River) to ask anyone anything.

Get breakfast at Millie's. That alone would be worth the drive down.
I will be about an hour North of Richmond but happy to drive down there to explore these trails. Are the trails around the river MTB trails or rail trail/paved path?
Will definitely checkout Millie's!

The James River trails are mostly singletrack, but it varies widely. If you do the full loop you'll hit little patches of gravel road, street crossings and on the north side you go through a neighborhood (I think north of Texas Beach) to connect the trails.

It's really neat but if you're time limited I'd do Pocohontas. I haven't ridden the new trails there but Jeff Lenosky said they're good. I saw them while on a gravel race through the park and was pretty sad looking at them while on a cross bike.

Not trails but Richmond had some cool cobbled streets and is part of the reason the World Championships were held there. Look at the course and check out the steep cobbled climb a mile or two from the finish.

The James River trails are mostly singletrack, but it varies widely. If you do the full loop you'll hit little patches of gravel road, street crossings and on the north side you go through a neighborhood (I think north of Texas Beach) to connect the trails.

It's really neat but if you're time limited I'd do Pocohontas. I haven't ridden the new trails there but Jeff Lenosky said they're good. I saw them while on a gravel race through the park and was pretty sad looking at them while on a cross bike.
I may do both. It’d be nice to see the city while on the urban trails too. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom