Riding along the Hudson

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
With rain leaving the woods most likely soggy yesterday, I went out for a catdog road ride (catdog being the beater tandem with fenders and cross tires) with Mr pixy and friends today. The warm weather was great. What a sight to see hundreds of cyclists out riding. I have never seen so many girls out riding in one day. Really cool. I think all the road teams were out training on the same roads. 9W was like cycling event, peletons and all. The local cyclist cafe, "The Spoon" bike racks were overflowing. I imagine some from NYC. Many great views along the Hudson, gave me something to see, and many hills to humble me. If you live up north, I would highly recommend some rides out this way. You're bound to run into many more cyclist.

I think I ended up with 67 miles and a just under 4000 ft elev. A nap after was nice too. :drooling:

D

DANSPANK

That's a great ride. I head out that way straight out of my front door in Secaucus - I did it a few times last summer. It's a great ride and you get a nice coffee just before the turnaround.

Not So Fast

I did it

I procrastinated yesterday and didn't get out. Your post encouraged me to get out today. And I did 9W. There weren't as many folks out as it appears in your post, the weather probably wasn't as nice either. Nonetheless, I was out there and the hills, oh those hills. What was nice was that only four people passed me. What wasn't nice was that I didn't pass anyone. Its been about 4 weeks since I've been on bike. My legs and neck are paying the price right now. :drooling:

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
went today

got out early this morning when it was 27 out. Met up with NJHC Justin and RobertG and two of his Westwood Cycle buddies and ventured from my house in Westwood snaked thru Harrington Park by the reservior then thru down town Closter and up ClosterDock Rd. banged a left on 9w and into Piermont where we ran into Gavi a fellow Campmor-ian who rides Pro for Team Sakonet. Then we pacelined it up to Nyack in what seemed to be my quickest time from Piermont to Nyack, thanks to Gavi leading. Ate at the Spoon and then hauled it back via County Rd and back thru Closter/Harrington Park. all in all approximatly 33.5 miles.

D

DANSPANK

I don't know if you stick to 9W or not but if you venture towards the south end and along the Henry Hudson Parkway (I think it is) then the up and down road runs right along the river with some nice grunter hills. Traffic is pretty light and you get a few cyclists in there too.

NJ Jess

Awesome

Sounds like 9W is the place to road ride. Even better with friends. I'm not a good hill climber, but I might try it some time for some of those beautiful views. Can't believe you guys are doing 67 miles either. keep up the good work.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I am actually not that big on 9W. I usually prefer Harriman and the side roads, but when I have a tandem captain to help on those relentless false flats, I'll go where ever the crowd leads and love every minute. Tandems are so cool in that way.

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
Sounds like 9W is the place to road ride. Even better with friends. I'm not a good hill climber, but I might try it some time for some of those beautiful views. Can't believe you guys are doing 67 miles either. keep up the good work.

when the weather gets nicer 9w looks as though its a stage in the TdF. There are sooo many teams (as well as individual cyclist) along that route! And Piermont and Nyack get so jammed with bikes that there are some shops that put up bikestands.
And its all hills to get up to 9w so you'll be a hill climber sooner than you think if you do it enough!

xc62701

I want to find a way to ride to Bear Mountain, jump on 9w then take it south to the area where 9w intersects 80 and then back to parsippany. It'll probably be a century or better. I've got the how to get to 9w and south, but it's getting back to parsippany from the GW that I'm not sure about. I've been starring at maps for a bit trying to figure this out.

NJ Jess

Make it happen

Try going on Google maps. Put in your zip, the places you want to go with the "add designation" button, see what it gets ya. I think you can actually move the balloonthingy too.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I want to find a way to ride to Bear Mountain, jump on 9w then take it south to the area where 9w intersects 80 and then back to parsippany. It'll probably be a century or better. I've got the how to get to 9w and south, but it's getting back to parsippany from the GW that I'm not sure about. I've been starring at maps for a bit trying to figure this out.

The area around the GW bridge is very high traffic, and to the west is very densely populated and filled with crazy Bergen County honkin SUV's. I would prefer to turn left at Bear Mt. There is an unbelievable stretch of road, Rt 218 north of West Point.

Either way, planning a century is cool. I say go for it. Everyone should do one now and then, and yours sounds like an adventure.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Try going on Google maps. Put in your zip, the places you want to go with the "add designation" button, see what it gets ya. I think you can actually move the balloonthingy too.

I use this all the time to plan rides. You can pull the line to the route you want. It is nice when you know a certain distance you want to ride.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Also check out some of the ride routes on http://www.nycc.org/

While some of the routes won't be great for folks starting in NJ, you can get an idea for where significant climbs and interesting roads are...

Top Bottom