Ride Report: Alaire Sat 12/2

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
edit: it was Sunday duh..

We had a very fun ride today led by the Cat like Chris G.

Riding conditons were about as good as they get. We had a little rain recently so the few sand sections were packed tightly.

We had 6 guys today, 5 on singlespeeds.

Chris led us on a sweet 2 hour loop that hit all my favorite sections with nearly no loose sand or mud.

Fred "the army one one" was mvp in my book. He has been riding for less than a year and still managed to keep in sight or just out of sight the entire ride.

This is most impressive when you consider that today was the hardest ride he ever completed.

Bob, Chris and I played musical singlespeeds. We all ride nearly the exact same saddle height so we each took turns riding different bikes.

The options were:

Haro Mary 29er (full ridgid)

Bontrager Steel 26er ss (Full ridgid w/Vicious Cycles fork)

Seven Cycles Verve SS Built w/ Cannondale Headshok.

It was neat to see how each SS was different but good. Surprisingly the $850 full stock Haro was at home in this group.

Anyway thanks to all.

I hope the guys from up north can be convinced to come down and have a go.

peas

j

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
good times

hey, sorry I couldnt hang, but after I fell behind and lost you guys, I kinda had it in my head that I was gonna call it a day, and then, when you guys went flying by me, I knew I didnt have the gas to keep up. It was really a good loop and even more challenging being that it was the opposite of the direction I normally go. Keep me in mind if you guys ever do a non "fast train" ride. You guys were in hyper mode and I apologise if I slowed you up a bit.

All in all, I had a good ride and it was great to meet you guys, maybe next time I will have some better legs.

Hey Jay, is your shop mary still geared 32-20?, and what gearing were the rest of you guys running?

Thanks again for the good time, I gotta go soak my body now.

see you guys again
walter

jdog

Shop Keep
33 x 18 on the 26" wheeler..

I tried a bunch of gear option on this bike when I first built it but this setup is good for most spots.

I have taken it to Allamuchy and I did some walking but for the most part I was happy.

I don't think I would even change gearing on this bike.

Now on the 29er SS I am building I figured I woudl run a 33 x20 since most people seem to say that a +2 rule works when going from 26" to 29".

I hope that my guess is a good one. The 32 x 20 on the Mary I ride seems a bit easy at times.

j

jdog

Shop Keep
You did fine.

walter said:
hey, sorry I couldnt hang, but after I fell behind and lost you guys, I kinda had it in my head that I was gonna call it a day, and then, when you guys went flying by me, I knew I didnt have the gas to keep up. It was really a good loop and even more challenging being that it was the opposite of the direction I normally go. Keep me in mind if you guys ever do a non "fast train" ride. You guys were in hyper mode and I apologise if I slowed you up a bit.

All in all, I had a good ride and it was great to meet you guys, maybe next time I will have some better legs.

Hey Jay, is your shop mary still geared 32-20?, and what gearing were the rest of you guys running?

Thanks again for the good time, I gotta go soak my body now.

see you guys again
walter

Good to see you getting great use out of that bike.

Sorry for the uber pace.. I was just trying to draft chris.

Unfortunately at 140 lbs he doesn't put off much of a draft.

Chris's loop was really fun. I forgot to ride across the street but maybe I will hit it next time.

Still stock gearing on the mary 32 x 20.

Otherwise the 26ers had

33 x 18

32 x 18

34 x 18

When we rolled back to the lot I was riding with Bob... He was on the Haro and I was on the 7.

Some guy yells "Is that a Haro Mary?? COOL"

My bike went unnoticed.

I guess that is now a "Cool Bike".

j

ArmyOfNone

That was a crazy fast ride. Loved every minute of it. Thank goodness you all were wearing bright colors so i could find you up the trails.

It was great to meet everyone out there... all great guys, great riders too. Musical Singlespeeds was great to help me catch my breath. I couldnt wait for the next switch to come! :)

alaire is a damn fun place to ride. Thanks for the fun times guys! Hope to see yall soon.

jdog said:
edit: it was Sunday duh..

We had a very fun ride today led by the Cat like Chris G.

Riding conditons were about as good as they get. We had a little rain recently so the few sand sections were packed tightly.

We had 6 guys today, 5 on singlespeeds.

Chris led us on a sweet 2 hour loop that hit all my favorite sections with nearly no loose sand or mud.

Fred "the army one one" was mvp in my book. He has been riding for less than a year and still managed to keep in sight or just out of sight the entire ride.

This is most impressive when you consider that today was the hardest ride he ever completed.

Bob, Chris and I played musical singlespeeds. We all ride nearly the exact same saddle height so we each took turns riding different bikes.

The options were:

Haro Mary 29er (full ridgid)

Bontrager Steel 26er ss (Full ridgid w/Vicious Cycles fork)

Seven Cycles Verve SS Built w/ Cannondale Headshok.

It was neat to see how each SS was different but good. Surprisingly the $850 full stock Haro was at home in this group.

Anyway thanks to all.

I hope the guys from up north can be convinced to come down and have a go.

peas

j

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Right on

Really fun ride. I was stoked to be there in general, and the high SS population just added to it. It was cool to meet some of the gang from this board, and certainly no one "slowed the ride down" or took away from the ride in any way. It's all good.

I'm glad you gents enjoyed the trails; we didn't repeat ourselves too much (though that one section of the white trail is too much fun not to ride more than once). There are still plenty of sections we didn't ride yesterday.

ArmyOfNone

cant wait till next time

ChrisG said:
I'm glad you gents enjoyed the trails; we didn't repeat ourselves too much (though that one section of the white trail is too much fun not to ride more than once). There are still plenty of sections we didn't ride yesterday.

I really would love to see what else is out there. That white trail was good times. Hopefully next time I can stay a bit closer!

walter

Fourth Party
Definately

ArmyOfNone said:
I really would love to see what else is out there. That white trail was good times. Hopefully next time I can stay a bit closer!

Thanks to Chris for leading a great loop. Its funny, the amount of times I ride there, once you follow someone elses loop, its like a totally different place. Thanks again for letting me come along, Im looking forward to the punishment again.

walter

Top Bottom